Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cart blowing

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I didn't say water isn't a good conductor. I said it's ridiculous to claim that "incidental saliva" is the reason why blowing on a cart works (when, in fact, it often DOESN'T work). That twists good science (water as conductor) into non-science (anecdotal "evidence").

-- Z.
    I've had and used Nes systems for the better part of 20 years. Been through hundreds of systems and games. I can take a cart that just causes blinking, try 10-20 times to get it to work . Blow on it really hard 1 time and it works.

And thousands of people have had the same results.

I think you have to look into the chance that it might be more than anecdotal "evidence"

And I don't believe in the saliva theory, that's why I've looked into it farther and found out it "could" be the condensation caused from the warm air. (Like the condensation caused when you blow warm air on a window)

But it could just be "coincidence" . Hundreds of thousands of people could just be getting lucky when blowing on their carts and it would have worked properly if they had just tried "one more time"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Replace your NES 72 pin connector with a rebuilt one, or a new one, and clean your carts. SIMPLE.

I work with electronics too, and it's always best to FIX the PROBLEM, as opposed to jigging it an re-jigging it with a half assed solution like blowing on your carts.

I wasn't going to post in this thread as it seemed 'beneath me'. A simple search of the Tech forum would tell him more than he needs to know.

If you insist on doing it half assed, don't ask me. Half assed is a waste of time.

I only use my whole ass.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

C'mon people all you have too do is put your lips together and blow!.....

..XS ( Peoples getting all heated over cart contacts i love it, so who's gunna start the thread about blowing on CDz to get them to play better and maybe even run faster )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    Replace your NES 72 pin connector with a rebuilt one, or a new one, and clean your carts. SIMPLE.

I work with electronics too, and it's always best to FIX the PROBLEM, as opposed to jigging it an re-jigging it with a half assed solution like blowing on your carts.

I wasn't going to post in this thread as it seemed 'beneath me'. A simple search of the Tech forum would tell him more than he needs to know.

If you insist on doing it half assed, don't ask me. Half assed is a waste of time.

I only use my whole ass.
    This was never about the "proper way " to fix the system or carts.

The original poster just asked why does blowing into carts make them work sometimes.

Since this topic is "beneath you " , I guess you must not have taken the time to actually read it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    And are you seriously comparing the heating effects of a puff of breath to a hair dryer?!

-- Z.
    Why yes I am. Let's see, the air in a standard house is 74 degrees . The air from your mouth is 98.6 degrees. Hmmmm
    You just compared the ambient temperature of a house with the temperature of a puff of breath, but what I mentioned in my earlier post is that you compared the heating effects of a puff of breath and a HAIR DRYER, for fuck's sake. That's like saying a flickering candle and a raging fireplace produce equal amounts of warmth.

Like I said, Know something about what you're talking about before you call it stupid. :roll:
    All I'm asking for is some credible evidence instead of crackpot science, and all you're doing is defending your ego and calling me stupid and appealing to your own authority.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had and used Nes systems for the better part of 20 years. Been through hundreds of systems and games. I can take a cart that just causes blinking, try 10-20 times to get it to work . Blow on it really hard 1 time and it works.

And thousands of people have had the same results.

I think you have to look into the chance that it might be more than anecdotal "evidence"
    The collective personal experiences of "thousands of people" (where'd you get this number?) is still anecdotal evidence. Unless and until someone conducts something like a gin-u-wine scientific study, all these theories are anecdotal and unproven.

That being said, if you'd like to help me construct such a study for a future issue of Video Game Collector, I'd be very interested. You could make use of your experience, and I could exploit that experience for the cause of a cool article. Kind of a video game version of "Mythbusters."

And I don't believe in the saliva theory, that's why I've looked into it farther and found out it "could" be the condensation caused from the warm air. (Like the condensation caused when you blow warm air on a window)
    Well, at least you're willing to admit that condensation COULD be a reason for the effects of cart-blowing, as opposed to your earlier implication that it was an indisputable fact.

But it could just be "coincidence" . Hundreds of thousands of people could just be getting lucky when blowing on their carts and it would have worked properly if they had just tried "one more time" :roll:
    So now it's "hundreds of thousands of people." Again, where are you getting these numbers?

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have nothing further to say to you.

After looking at many other threads in which you argued forever about something you knew nothing about, I should have known better than to try to reason with you.

As you have offended others with your blatant stupidity , you have now offended me and I will NEVER respond to one of your posts again.

I shall now join the group of people who have put you on their " AVOID AT ALL COST " list.

That is all.........Ohh but feel free to post something childish and moronic . I'm sure you will.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have nothing further to say to you.

After looking at many other threads in which you argued forever about something you knew nothing about, I should have known better than to try to reason with you.

As you have offended others with your blatant stupidity , you have now offended me and I will NEVER respond to one of your posts again.

I shall now join the group of people who have put you on their " AVOID AT ALL COST " list.

That is all.........Ohh but feel free to post something childish and moronic . I'm sure you will. ;)
    I'm very sorry that you're so upset, but I'm not sorry for having challenged your claims (along with several others in this thread) and pointed out that no real evidence exists to back them up.

Was that childish and moronic?

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

jonjandran wrote:

I presume you are speaking about ZMweasel. I do not always agree with him, and you're right, sometimes he fights losing battles. But by no means is he blantantly stupid. I do feel that he is one of the more knowledgable people on the boards that i have "dueled" with. He isn't the most knowledgable though, that distinctinon belongs to yours truly! Slight joke there, breathe in and laugh! It's ashame that you won't be speaking with him anymore though, it's always fun to point out when a know it all is wrong that a know it all doesn't know it all!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    jonjandran wrote:

I presume you are speaking about ZMweasel. I do not always agree with him, and you're right, sometimes he fights losing battles. But by no means is he blantantly stupid. I do feel that he is one of the more knowledgable people on the boards that i have "dueled" with. He isn't the most knowledgable though, that distinctinon belongs to yours truly! Slight joke there, breathe in and laugh! It's ashame that you won't be speaking with him anymore though, it's always fun to point out when a know it all is wrong that a know it all doesn't know it all!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I freely admit to occasionally playing devil's advocate, even if that means I'm "fighting a losing battle," because I'm trying to spark thoughtful exchanges of informed opinions in these forums, as opposed to the usual "How much is Game X worth?" and "What are your favorite games for System X?" and all the other generic topics that are repeated every week or two. I enjoy defending my opinions, and presenting facts which support them.

And, hey, maybe I'll have to change my worldview because someone presents me with powerful evidence. That already happened once in this forum, via the "PS2s break more than Xboxes and GameCubes" thread. I went in thinking it was a fallacy--with so many more PS2s in consumers' hands than Xboxes and Cubes, of course there'll be more broken PS2s!--and came out realizing it was a legitimate problem.

I'm skeptical by nature, so when I read all these anecdotal claims about why cart-blowing works, I felt compelled to say "Bullshit!" and ask for something more substantial than spittle-matrix and dragon's-breath theories. I certainly didn't expect JJD to get so angry about my challenging his claims.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cart Blowing does work.. :P

All joking aside, i'm sure everyone that has/does own a Geny, Snes, Nes or Sms, will agree, i don't exactly know why, but it does the trick 9 times out of ten

Although it has to come down to a build up of dust/lint on the cart contacts blowing the contacts is the poor mans cleaning cart.

An gawwd damnit! you crazy kids it works (Now go tell the rest of your folks)

..XS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zmweasel wrote:
    I freely admit to occasionally playing devil's advocate, even if that means I'm "fighting a losing battle," because I'm trying to spark thoughtful exchanges of informed opinions in these forums, as opposed to the usual "How much is Game X worth?" and "What are your favorite games for System X?" and all the other generic topics that are repeated every week or two. I enjoy defending my opinions, and presenting facts which support them.
    That's nice that you're trying to spark thoughful exchanges. You could be "fighting a losing battle" though. Some people don't want that. The powerful evidence? The glut of posts about "how much a game is worth" and "what's your favorite game for system X." I wish everyone had thoughtful, informed opinions about videogames and some more diverse taste. That just doesn't seem to be the rule. It's ashame.

I'm skeptical by nature, so when I read all these anecdotal claims about why cart-blowing works, I felt compelled to say "Bullshit!" and ask for something more substantial than spittle-matrix and dragon's-breath theories. I certainly didn't expect JJD to get so angry about my challenging his claims.
    I enjoy when people can back their claims with fact instead of conjecture. Sometimes that doesn't work (presentation of fact). Personally, I've chatted with certain people in certain threads and presented them with overwhelming evidence and they still were unwilling to budge for whatever reason.

Also, sometimes it's not what you're saying but the way you say it. I get the feeling that that was jjd's problem with you more then anything else. Face it, people don't like being told that they are wrong. A lot of people don't seem to like to be challenged. Just my observations

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Predatorxs
    Although it has to come down to a build up of dust/lint on the cart contacts blowing the contacts is the poor mans cleaning cart. :-P
    You've invoked Occam's Razor, and I bless you for it. Dust and dirt flyin' off the contacts when you blow into a cart is a much simpler--and thus, more likely--explanation than spittle matrixes and cold contacts. But until someone attempts a half-assed experiment (any volunteers? I'd love to run the results in Video Game Collector), we won't know for sure.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Personally, I've chatted with certain people in certain threads and presented them with overwhelming evidence and they still were unwilling to budge for whatever reason.

Also, sometimes it's not what you're saying but the way you say it. I get the feeling that that was jjd's problem with you more then anything else. Face it, people don't like being told that they are wrong. A lot of people don't seem to like to be challenged. Just my observations

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    Well that is my point . Some people are just on this site to argue. They come across as trying to save people from some horrible wrong-doing. But it is a discussion about "cart blowing" x_x

Who cares why , where or how people thinks this works or not.
    I was just expressing from a electronic background some reasons why it might work.

Then someone comes along cursing at me and others, and being condescending. Should I be sorry for getting offended ? Hey people may be smart but acting like that makes them seem quite childish.

Then they also come along "Demanding " I back it up with facts , figures, and surveys.

Hey if this were about world peace, hunger or the pursuit of women, I might go through all of that effort.
    As it is it's about " CART BLOWING " and I presented enough facts to back up why it might work.

1. Heat (even a degree or two ) can cause electronic parts to start working again.
    2. Water (in the form of condensation ) can allow for better conduction resulting in a better contact.

So , I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. I'm sure the world will go on with or without anyone knowing why blowing in a cart will make it start working again.

PS. I never once got Angry. There are a lot more important things in my life to get upset about than a stupid forum topic. :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that is my point . Some people are just on this site to argue. They come across as trying to save people from some horrible wrong-doing. But it is a discussion about "cart blowing" x_x
    I'm in these forums to learn and to debate, not to argue, though the latter is an occasional/inevitable result.

Who cares why , where or how people thinks this works or not.
    I was just expressing from a electronic background some reasons why it might work.
    I care. I'm intensely curious about how EVERYTHING works, whether it's why blowing on carts seems to make them work, or why the sky is blue. You obviously cared as well, or you wouldn't have bothered to post in this thread.

Then someone comes along cursing at me and others, and being condescending. Should I be sorry for getting offended ? Hey people may be smart but acting like that makes them seem quite childish.
    If the use of "bullpuckey" in my initial post offended you, I am sorry. I consider it mild profanity at best.

And why are you saying it's "childish" to display intelligence and skepticism? Isn't it far more childish to say "You're stupid and mean and I'm not going to respond to your posts anymore"? Or to "ignore" me by referring to me as "someone" and "they," as if I'm not still participating in the thread, and as if I don't know who you're talking about?

Then they also come along "Demanding " I back it up with facts , figures, and surveys. LOL
    Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof. Meanwhile, PredatorXS has hit on the simple explanation that's far more likely than the elaborate theories expressed earlier in the thread.

PS. I never once got Angry. There are a lot more important things in my life to get upset about than a stupid forum topic. :P
    There was more than a little anger oozing from the post in which you cited my "blatant stupidity," whether you realize it or not. Unless you wrote all that with a smile on your face?

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I've gotta concur with this. I replaced the pins in mine with a $5.00 part bought frome eBay. It works on the first try 95% of the time now.

Easy to do and very worthwhile.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've invoked Occam's Razor, and I bless you for it. Dust and dirt flyin' off the contacts when you blow into a cart is a much simpler--and thus, more likely--explanation than spittle matrixes and cold contacts. But until someone attempts a half-assed experiment (any volunteers? I'd love to run the results in Video Game Collector), we won't know for sure.

-- Z.
    I always thought it was a well known fact that the moisture in your breath is transferred to the pins via condensation, thus allowing the current to flow more easily through the connections. Frankly, this discussion is shocking in it's antiquity.

Here's the answer plain and simple: It has nothing to do with dust/debris. Just blow on a bad cart, let it sit 5 minutes and try to play it. It won't work. And it's not because dust/debris magically re-accumulated in that 5 minutes. It's because the water that was previously transferred to the pins has now evaporated.

It works because the water helps the pins conduct electric current better.

I'm also shocked that nobody has just went and asked Nintendo. Oh wait, someone did: http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/...ssage.id=16505

If that doesn't answer the question, I'd be more than happy to assist on the VGC article.
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah that's not proof. That's just "bullpuckey" and no-one knows what they're talking about.

Moisture from condensation couldn't possibly help.

*sarcasm off*

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Interesting discussion.

I'm sure that everyone who had a NES back in the day -- as most of us here did -- can remember having to blow into carts to get them to work.

I've NEVER heard anything about heat or mositure making the connections between the game and the system any easier. Everything I've read on the topic said that it helps in the short term because of clearing away some dirt and dust, but damages the carts in the long term due to the oxidation effect.

And even if you clean your carts with a cleaning kit (like I had) you still got a lot of blinking because of the cheap pin connectors that the NES decks had in them wearing out after a few years.

If anyone can post SOLID articles about heat and/or moisture being the reasons blowing in a cart seems to help, I'd love to see them, as would everyone else.

But it's been well documented that needing to blow into carts to make them work was a VERY common thing at the time.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone can post SOLID articles about heat and/or moisture being the reasons blowing in a cart seems to help, I'd love to see them, as would everyone else.
    SOLID research on why a half assed fix works sometimes?

Count Me Out.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!