Thread: NES production run info

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES production run info

Does anyone know where actual production run info for NES titles might be found? Obviously the rarity guide is a guage, but taking stadium events as an example, I've read 2000 copies, but I've also read 5,000. I recall reading that DK jr math was 7000. Does anyone have a definitive resource? I'm curious as to how the production numbers of some of the rares compare to each other. Thanks in advance.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would knowing the exact production run for stadium events really be that important, I think the title was taken off the shelves and recalled. I don't even know how one would begin to find out how many copies were actually sold before they were recalled, but I doubt the actual number of copies out there "in the wild" could be determined.

As far as the production run numbers my understanding is that Nintendo is generally pretty guarded about specifics, I generally only here about specific #s when a title does really really well, and sometimes when former employees know.

Finally, I think the experience you have with inconsistences in the reporting of production runs (3000 here vs. 5000 there) is really an insurmountable obstacle to compiling in any substanitive way such data; in many cases the numbers just aren't officially released, leaving one to rely on dubious testimonials or apocryphal insider data.

If you wanna know how many of a game there is, you can't get ,much better than the DP7 and (I can hardly wait) the new DP advance guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default We will never find out....

We will never find out how many of something is made, for that information does not have to be released. The DP guide does not know either, but their insight is pretty good. Nobody will know, and if they do, they know "some" by working at a specific game company and seeing the raw data. There isnt anyone out there that will ever know the specifics of how many games were released by all game companies. The best you can do is talk to someone who has worked for a place and even that is not 100%. People can speculate, and estimate, but nobody will ever know ALL of the Nes games. If they do they are lying to boost their ego
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Basically what's been said. According to the book Game Over (and therefore more credible than most, even if there are some logic holes in the book itself), minimum order on licensed games was 10,000. Take that as you will.

dave