Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default T-MINUS... CGE 2K4 UPDATE

It's that time again! As I am the person responsible for news updates on the cgexpo.com site, I'm going to update this thread to store ideas and events in tandem. Consider it a preview to the show, thirty or so events, highlights, and announcements to lead us right up to the big show itself!

Let's begin. It's "T-MINUS" TIME!

T-MINUS THIRTY!

CGE PARTNERS WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS

Classic Gaming Expo is proud to partner with Special Olympics. If you were not aware, Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and athletic competition to more than 1 million people with intellectual disabilities in more than 150 countries. This year, Classic Gaming Expo and Video Game Collector magazine will donate the proceeds of a dozen top-notch auction lots, and all proceeds from the show's first-ever "swap meet" room. Details for both of these events will be posted to the CGE website in the next few days. We are truly excited about this partnership and together with VGC and the gaming community at large, hope to make a difference in these young Olympians' lives.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow only thirty days. Jesus, I should start putting away some money. But taht was the first time I heard you guys are helping out Special Olympics. Its like one big goodwill. :P Video games and you help someone, now it doesn't get much better then that.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now THAT is a damn nice thing to do. I suggest a Donations Box at the Registration Table or something similar so folks can donate throughout the Expo. I know *I* always have a few bucks on the last day burning a hole in my pocket and I usually buy some trinket or doo-dad or game I really didn't want. But if there was a box, in goes the $$$.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's an excellent thing to do. I'm behind this 100%. See, video games lead to great things.

-Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is so awesome and touching to me that I can't begin to find the words to describe it. I participated in my first Area Games for Special Olympics earlier this year, having only participated in a more local event while I was in high school. I wish I'd taken pictures. It was really such a great time for everyone involved; I know I had just as much fun as anyone I was there to support or cheer on. I'll be wearing my "coach" shirt during the auction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

wow....that is great to hear that they doing that....

too bad i wont be there, or some of my money that i would be spending would help this cause....

hopefully one of these years i can make it out.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad I have so much to pay off...I really wanted to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! That was out of left field!

Very unexpected, and so very very cool. I second Sniderman's idea of a donation box!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Regarding Special Olympics: I'm really happy that people care about this. It was important to me to kick off our series of show features with the one that's really the most important. Video games let you be a hero or champion, but Special Olympics helps people become champions in real life.

While CGE has never been a non-profit organization, it should be clear that we have no monetary interest in it either. It's our pleasure to help those who need it most.

If it wasn't really really clear, we owe this partnership effort to Video Game Collector magazine, who are the official sponsors of the CGE Auction. They're good people over there and we're really happy to have a common interest in this charity.

T-MINUS TWENTY-NINE.

THE CGE MUSEUM

This year's Classic Gaming Expo will feature what surely is the world's single greatest collection of vintage video game and computer consoles, games, prototypes and memorabilia. With over 1000 unique items spanning some 4,000 square feet (nearly twice the size of last year's show), you are guaranteed to see many pieces that you haven't seen in years... and many you never knew existed! From a vast handheld collection to priceless artifacts like the Atari System X (the original prototype for Atari's 5200 SuperSystem) to one-of-a-kind items like the color Vectrex, it would take hours to absorb it ALL. Fortunately the show is two days long!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

T-MINUS TWENTY-EIGHT.

CGE, THE MOVIE

In case you've missed this... for the first time ever, all of the excitement from the world's first and largest event paying tribute to the people, systems and games of yesteryear has been captured on digital video for your viewing pleasure. Produced by Zach "zmweasel" Meston, this two-DVD set is packed with 3+ hours of footage from this year's show as well as tons of extras. If you saw it at CGE 2K4, you'll see it here! The DVD is $19.99 if you purchase before August 21st. For more details on the contents and order information, head over to the CGE DVD order page.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

T-MINUS TWENTY-SEVEN.

A BETTER WAY TO SWAP

For six years, Classic Gaming Expo has hosted a "swap meet" event, whereby collectors around the world can wheel and deal. Some of the greatest finds we've ever heard of happened at this event, like the acquisition of a very rare Atari 2600 game, Video Life, for a mere $5 at CGE2k1. One of the things we've heard from our attendees over the years is that the CGE swap meet is too short, and that that a better arranged room would really help everyone see and barter for everything. With the additional space afforded at San Jose's McEnery Convention Center, a 700-square foot room adjoined to the rest of the action will be dedicated specifically for gamers and collectors to trade their wares. Tables will be available for the nominal charge of $5/hour, of which all proceeds will go to our friends at Special Olympics. You can expect some incredible finds and stories from this year's swap meet... let's see if the Video Life find of 2001 can be topped!.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Joe stole my thunder by beating me to the punch but damn the torpedoes, I'm sticking to the schedule!

T-MINUS TWENTY-SIX.

ATARI 5200 "BRISTLES" DEBUTS

Bristles, a new FirstStar Software video game for the Atari 5200, will be released by Atari2600.com during Classic Gaming Expo 2004. Bristles is a challenging platformer which features Peter the Painter in the starring role. He is thwarted throughout by the Bucket Chucker and his Flying Half-Pints. Bristles features 8 different game screens and 6 skill levels for each building. Use ladders, stairs and elevators to navigate throughout each on your task of repainting the building. Bristles is unique as it is the first licensed release of an original manufacturers software on an Atari game system. Production is limited to 100 copies! Additional information is available on Atari2600.com.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeez 26 days. I definatly shouldve started saving up earlier. I am trying to scrap together money now. Well 26 days. Man im excited.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

Regarding the Special Olympics auctions - can we donate items for the auction? I may be able to get an item or two out to California that I would be glad to offer.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by l_lamb
    Regarding the Special Olympics auctions - can we donate items for the auction? I may be able to get an item or two out to California that I would be glad to offer.
    Absolutely but please let us know ASAP (email us at info@cgexpo.com) since we're aiming to have these lots known to the public beforehand via flyer which we'll likely stuff in with the show program.

Thank ya!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

T-MINUS TWENTY-FIVE.

AN ENCYCLOPEDIA FOR 16-BIT GAMERS

If you're a fan of the "second era" of classic gaming, the time period that spans from the dawn of 16-bit consoles like the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and TurboGrafx-16 right up to the game systems that have recently discontinued like Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo N64, or have a hankering to see the handheld systems that turned gamers on to portable gaming once and for all, you'll surely want to check out Digital Press' new book, "Collector's Guide Advance", which has complete game listings for over 30 systems released between 1989 and 1999. This 512 page encyclopedia also includes the signature Digital Press rarity scale, easter eggs, and loads of details about your favorite classic systems. The book debuts at Classic Gaming Expo 2004.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

T-MINUS 24 DAYS.

MIDWAY GAMES AT CGE

Midway has been a leader in the industry since the dawn of the video game revolution, with early breakthrough titles including Defender, Sinistar, Tapper, and Spy Hunter. Last year, Midway debuted Midway Arcade Treasures, which featured many of their early hits. This year, the bigger and better Midway Arcade Treasures II will be playable and on display. This compilation includes classics A.P.B., Arch Rivals, Championship Sprint, Cyberball 2072, Gauntlet 2, Hard Drivin'', Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, Mortal Kombat III, NARC, Pit Fighter, Primal Rage, Rampage World Tour, Spy Hunter 2, Steel Talons, STUN Runner, Timber, Total Carnage, Wizard of Wor, Xenophobe and Xybots! That's a lot of gaming. See for yourself at CGE2k4!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's unquestionably some irony with Midway being at CGE. On the one hand I'm glad they'll be promoting MAT 2, but on the other they just slammed the majority of us who will be +AT+ the CGE in an article saying "the 30+ crowd doesn't push titles, nobody is buying old school games or titles about dragons and trolls any more." Nice attitude. :P

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManFan
    There's unquestionably some irony with Midway being at CGE. On the one hand I'm glad they'll be promoting MAT 2, but on the other they just slammed the majority of us who will be +AT+ the CGE in an article saying "the 30+ crowd doesn't push titles, nobody is buying old school games or titles about dragons and trolls any more." Nice attitude. :P
    Well, it may be irony Steve, but I'm a firm believer in "actions, not words". On that faith Midway is clearly a supporter of old-school games. This is their second consecutive year exhibiting at the Expo and it appears they've also committed to a "Treasures" compilation on the PSP which - get this - reportedly will contain all of the games from the first two and a few more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Sweet, Midway. I'm gonna ask their representative if the MK games on the treasures compilation will have online play.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives