Thread: 120 in 1 game console

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 120 in 1 game console

In the Natick mall today. There was a vendor selling off a Playtime system that consisted of a controller with an AV port and a gun. He had Duck Hunt viewing on the TV. He showed me a menu of about 120 original Nintendo games on the system. He said the price was $60 for today. The next day the price would go up to $75. I may come back for it later.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 120 in 1 game console

Quote Originally Posted by cbroddy
    In the Natick mall today. There was a vendor selling off a Playtime system that consisted of a controller with an AV port and a gun. He had Duck Hunt viewing on the TV. He showed me a menu of about 120 original Nintendo games on the system. He said the price was $60 for today. The next day the price would go up to $75. I may come back for it later.

I've seen these everywhere in malls and local flea markets, rumor has it, some are made in Mexico and Hong Kong. I've seen some sold for $40. Alot of illegal business going on there if you ask me.

It works fine, but I wouldn't touch it or buy it. Smells like copyright infringments to me.

I don't care for ROMS much at all.
    Yet it makes me wonder if Nintendo has caught onto this...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I find these for $40 all day long at the flea markets.

Some guy selling them at the mall for $70 tried to tell me that all the games were legally licensed. That can't be as one of the included games is Choujikyuu Yousai Macross. All things Macross not distributed by Harmony Gold in the US are considered illegal as they own the US rights to the franchise. This is a hotly debated point in Macross circles as it has prevented the US distribution of parts of the Macross series as well as of many other toy products from the franchise. This one rom alone is a serious violation of many international agreements and could not have been licenced in the US without a great deal of fanfare in the Macross fan-circles as it would mean a possibility of greater floodgates opening for Macross product.

Therefore, not meaning to make this about Macross, it is quite impossible that these things are legal and I too wonder how Nintendo has not yet made an issue about them.

Furthermore, the controller is crap and the whole thing really isn't worth much more than about $10-12 bucks if you were to price it fairly for the crappy craftsmanship of the thing.

Still, if legality isn't your bag, and you don't mind paying too much for cheap third-world quality crap just to play 120 NES games on your television set without an actual NES or through your favorite emulator, then this might just be the way to waste that birthday cash your grandma sent you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As previously posted this is a Famiclone. These systems are Pirated around the world in VAST numbers. In fact to combat pirating in China Nintendo actually made it's own pirate version of the famicom to steal back some profit. I don't buy these systems new but I do buy then used when I find them at Garage sales. Sometimes you will find that instead of stealing the official released roms you will find the the piraters used Beta, Prototypes, or Hacks. There is and excellent website on these things at the folllowing link.

http://hawanja.com/famiclones.htm

From your description I think you are refering to this:

http://64.33.43.74/power_player.html
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNTPLUST
    From your description I think you are refering to this:

http://64.33.43.74/power_player.html
    This is the one that I see all over Ohio. Sometimes the gun is a bit different color, but that's what it usually looks like.

According to the website, this model is fairly sturdy. If I could pick one up for $20 or less I might consider it, but the $40+ most vendors are asking for isn't for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, these are at my local malls too. Costs too much for me to give a damn.

Oh, and I bet the guy telling you that the price would go up the next day is BS. Probably just trying to make a sale.

Here are some similar discussions:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27484

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33952

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

these are always in the mall, and i look at them and someone comes up to me(never the same person in a 2 week span) And i ask how can you sell this. and get a BS story that they either bought all these rights from Nintendo or originally owned them. HA

They are always on sale this week only, today only at 49.99...blah blah

I still just want to make up a business card with a Nintendo Logo on it that says a name and Copyright Department or something. Then ask threir name and say "My attorney will contact you shortly, thank you."
    and watch and laugh from a distance.

You should see how nerves they get when i start asking questions.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

In the Natick mall today.
    I hear there's a twinkee factory there...

If I were you, I wouldn't go back to buy that as most likely not all 120 games are unique--many are probably copies/hacks of themselves.
    Egbert, I miss you...

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    In the Natick mall today.
    I hear there's a twinkee factory there...
    Hahaha.. yes their is a hostess cupcake factory there, which was in an episode of family guy. Anyways i myself went to the very same mall today with a random multicart and tried it on it (powerpad i think is what they are called). Ha,l it was funny showing the multicart to some random goon in ebx. He had no idea what to make of it.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts

I've seen these everywhere in malls and local flea markets, rumor has it, some are made in Mexico and Hong Kong. I've seen some sold for $40. Alot of illegal business going on there if you ask me.

It works fine, but I wouldn't touch it or buy it. Smells like copyright infringments to me.
    I don't care for ROMS much at all.it makes me wonder if Nintendo has caught onto this...

Yup. Try asking one of these guys if they are illegal though. They'll give you all kinds of reasons why they are not. One guy at a small mall near me kept getting angry when i asked him if the Power Joy systems he had were bootlegged. Of course I knew they were but I wanted to see if he would admit to it. I then asked him if he had any connections to get some good multi carts and he gave me his buisness card. I kinda like these new multi game controllers. You could almost start a collection of them by themselfves. But not at thier current prices. I have all those games anyway
    Also I think that nintendo knows about all this stuff, but think about it. They dont sell these items anymore anyway. When a guy buys from Ebay or a pawn shop Nintendo gets no proffit from it. And these are the only ways to get the older systems and games. I doubt if it is worth the trouble for them to persue legal action over a product that they dont make money from anyway. Now if they came out with one of those little doo hickeys with Gamecube games on em, Nintendo would pounce on it like a wild cat. Also, there are som many of them out there now, much like multicarts, they would not be able to catch or stop all of them., .
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tengen Tetris? Fine.

Sachen games? Fine, and wholly legal.

Dog poo in a can? Fine, legal, and flavorful.

Famiclones (outside of the Sachen system)? Freaking waste of time and money. Even at $15 each, you're looking at a big wad of cash you should be saving for something else, like say a new GBA game, or maybe even just food so you can eat. $60 is a new XBox or PS2 game, guys.

If you wanna help out the Asian economy, look into buying one of the legal, original systems out there, like a Gameking. Anything, really, but an unlicensed console with illegal game releases on it.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Time to bump this thread to say that, on my way to go the clothing store (I had to buy myself a warm winter coat before I end up with pneumonia), I saw that they were selling the Power Player famiclone at one of those temp mall stands at the Montreal Eaton Centre. A few units were connected to TVs for playing and all I can say is: it's total CRAP! The emulation isn't even accurate. I saw someone play NES Pac-Man. Pac-Man and the Ghosts were bigger than usual... Someone else played Super Mario Bros.; the speed of the game was too fast.

Maybe I should have told one of these people: if you want a NES with SMB, I can sell you a complete one for $30!

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that you have taken the time to bump this thred, I thought I would tell everyone the bad news. The hostess factory next to the Natick mall (read the first couple posts) is now gone.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earlier threads have discussed these and shown that Nintendo won a court case blocking the sale of these things at least on the west coast, maybe not in Canada. Anyhow, last week they were flooding the yahoo auctions site at about $20 each.

By the way, the new FamiClone top loader thing on ebay is really pissing me off. The cut-rate prices on likely low qualtiy merchandise is really cutting into my NES sales. I think everyone here should start to report the sellers of those things as pirated software or something. I've done so a few times and will continue to whenever I get a chance. Also, if you are selling those things ... what are you thinking??
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought one of these on Thurs. For 30 bucks. Normally wouldn't have bothered, but the Mother-In-Law wanted a game system at her house that she didn't have to deal with, and my daughter could play pretty easily with no help. The system says it's 1200 games in one, but it looks to me to be the same 50 roms repeated over and over again. never seen so many copies of paperboy in my life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Are there any hacks, or is it only multiple ROM copies?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    Oh, and I bet the guy telling you that the price would go up the next day is BS. Probably just trying to make a sale.
    Yeah, that is BS, he was just trying to make a sale.

You know what, the Power Player kiosk in my local mall up and closed real fast without warning the other week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the best Famiclone has to be this one:

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

A red x in a white square?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what, the Power Player kiosk in my local mall up and closed real fast without warning the other week.
    I've seen that also... usually the places around me that sell those things are run by shady-looking Russian guys.