Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark my words, Sony's end is near

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mark my words, Sony's end is near

Not alot of people want to believe me, and they think I'm just a sony hater, but its not that at all.

Sony's reign is at an end...why you say?

1) PSP - reguardless of what alot of people want, the psp isnt going to sell well in the first place, and those who buy it will be dissapointed. Recently announced big name companies aren't going to be supporting it. These include companies like...

Square-Enix - they are porting Advent children to it but thats it. They said they won't be making any games because they are still unsure of its success...mm do i smell doubt?

Capcom - Porting over a DarkStalkers game

Koei - the dynasty warriors game announced is gonna be a port of a ps2 version.

There were a few other companies listed but I forgot what they were.

PSP is going to be like the ps2 when it comes out and they will have people sendin those pieces of cheaply made garbage back like theres no tomorrow. Except they won't go buy another one.

2) PS3 - according to many sources, including my stores sony rep. PS3 release date is end of 2006 beginning of 2007 with a retail price of 500 - 800 dollars. I asked him why and he said " Sony is testing new grounds, the psx failed miserably so they are trying to fix what they wronged" hence the PS3 is gonna be what the psx coulda been....once again I buy video game consoles to do one thing, play games, not use tivo and dvd recorders.

3) X -Box 2 is getting awesome support and will be out at 200 - 300 dollars. With big name companies looking into it like square , capcom, konami and sega and according to a few sources a HUGE game producer said "im sorry to say but x-box 2 lis looking amazing, we are pledging support and kissing sony goodbye, because there reign of terror will come to an end"

4) Nintendo Revolution and DS - We all know the japanese market has been falling down the hill like jack and jill. I think the big N is going to revitalize gaming - i think the DS can tell us for sure when that comes out.

my prediction - PSP will fail - sony looses lots of money. Big developers jump sonys ship and pledge support on xbox 2 because of there new xna system there using. PS3 is released, which no one can afford and in the end our choices will be...do I buy the new Nintendo or new Xbox .... hmmmm whats this in the bargain bin? mommy whats a playstation?
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not bustin' your balls, as everyone has their own opinion and you raise some interesting theories. But I find it ironic that these predictions of Sony's Console Doom comes from a self-professed "Sega Freak" - makers of the well-supported and well-received Saturn, Dreamcast, Nomad, 32x, Game Gear, Sega CD, etc.

Just poking ya with a stick. Pokeity-pokeity-poke-poke-poke.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it hard to belive that sony would release the PS3 at $700. What I see them doing instead is have a "DELUXE" moddel thats $500 and the base model for a more competative price against the Xbox 2.

I also don't think the PSP is going to die all that hard. Even though I would like it to fail I have come accross to many people who "must have" the system. SoIi think that will help the psp out in its infancey.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Conversations I have with people about the PSP and DS are always stomped on by myself with one easy comment. And that is Sony can't build a CD drive to save their life. If people had to flip PlayStations and repair PS2s which literally just sat there, how stable is the PSP going to be?

That and it basically boils down to being a portable PS1/2. Whoopy de freaking doo.

The DS has my interest, and that's coming from a man who hates portables. If they even only get half the potential possibilities done on the DS, it'll be a raving success.

And the PS3? Riiiight.

Sony used to be a cool company. They used to exclusively support SNK in the US, take chances on the oddball original stuff (ArtDink) and more. The Sony of the PS2 and future stages are clueless people that want nothing but GTA clones and FMV filler. No thanks.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony wouldnt be so stupid as to have such a price descepency between the PS3 and the Xbox2

Even if the PSP fails (which is likely) , Sony and playstation can afford that failure. I am sure Sony will be around for years to come in the console business. (and all this from a Nintendo fan :P )

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as the PSP may have going against it Sony is currently the juggernaut in the video game world. Back during the first generation of handhelds (GB, GG, TurboExpress, Lynx) the Gameboy reigned supreme. The Gameboy was monochrome unlike the other three, it was not backlit like th other three and it was far less powerful than the other three. Still it has outlived all its original competitors. It achieved this incredible upset because (I believe) of Nintendo marketing and incredible brand loyalty. Now Sony is in the same position Nintendo was 15 years ago. Will history repeat itself? Or will there be a new precedent set, just because your the top of the heap doesn't mean the Lemmings will buy anything you offer them.

We can speculate until it is actually launched what will happen but I will not be buying a PSP, and probably not a DS either as I don't have enough interest in new games being released. I hope the PSP does well if for nothing else than to give Nintendo some competition in the handheld market. A nice 50/50 split would be ideal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

id love to see sony fail...so i hope your right....i just dont know if that will happen....i do think that the psp will be a failure....and no one knows what the next console generation will bring...so anything can happen...
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I might be talking out of my ass, but I don't think that companies fail for reasons as simple as that. Look at the Dreamcast. It sold REALLY REALLY well. I understood that the reason Sega had to pull out is because they invested so heavily in the online stuff, and the machine only had like 2 games that actually supported it, so nobody used it. Since Sega planned for that to be the big money-maker with Dreamcast, it failed. I could be wrong, though...

As for Square-Enix and Capcom making all those statements...who really cares? Neither of those companies have had anything fantastic in the last few years, and I don't know too many people who follow Koei too religiously.

And, being a 25-year-old med student who talks to a lot of people in the target demographic about this, I can tell you that NOBODY wants to buy an X-box 2 or a Playstation 3. Most people seem to feel that the systems they JUST BOUGHT should have plenty of life left in them. Most of them are pretty pissed that the next generation of cosoles is in the works when the current generation has games that look fantastic, but play like crap.

So, I don't think PSP will be that big of a loss for Sony, even if it does fail. Sony's finances can cover it, I'm sure. Besides, they have a lot of other problems to worry about.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ATARI needs to come back as it used to be as a company and showem how it's done. I think cd media is a dying breed anyhow. I say BRING BACK THE CARTIDGE!
    Ash is a Robot! Ash is a God Damn Robot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a idea. If everyone on the board agrees to hate sony, can we stop having threads like this? I mean every week it is a who is more evil poll, or what company has hurt video games the most. It is getting so old and negative I am almost to the point where I don't enjoy the board anymore. When I first joined it seemed people were more positive about there post. They talked about stuff the LIKED, now its all about who and what they hate. Either this place has had a influx of new people or everybody is getting old and cranky. OK now everybody can post about how they hate me.
    :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why all the Sony hate?
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not too fond of Sony either and I HOPE their reign is at an end, but who can really say at this time? The PSP isn't out yet, neither is the DS, Xbox2 and PS3 are even further away. The way people are talking it's like the new gen of consoles are coming out this Christmas. WOW REALLY? no. But chill a bit guys and enjoy the current systems.

I also don't beleive Sony would have that much of a price difference between them and either Xbox or Nintendo, if they were smart anyways.

Well thats my two cents.....oh and I hate you Hep038 Whoops I mean Sony.
    Kirby's my bitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    Conversations I have with people about the PSP and DS are always stomped on by myself with one easy comment. And that is Sony can't build a CD drive to save their life. If people had to flip PlayStations and repair PS2s which literally just sat there, how stable is the PSP going to be? .
    Its funny cause its true!

Seriously. Whether the CD player is in a car, home stereo, portable, or a playstation, this company simply cannot make a CD player worth beans.

1) I'd like to see a list of these supported developers. A quoted list is just rambling rumors without evidence.

2) Again, sources? I doubt any company is going to RAISE the price of a console above $300. Isn't Nintendo shooting for $200? There is no way in hell a console will be ver successful with a launch price 3 times that of their competitor. Sony knows this.

I think your Sony Rep is jumping to conclusions also. On average, they know little more than we do, they just don't show it.

3) XBox 2 can go stick it. Seriously. No backwards compatability? I barely use my first one. I'm not about to rush out and buy another machine I'll use even less.

4) This is all speculation. I don't know if Nintendo will revitalize the gaming market. Alot of people around these boards see the DS as gimmick, and I believe they're partly correct. Its pretty hard to revitalize the market on a gimmick.

Much like Microsoft, Sony has money to burn. Games aren't their number one market by a long shot. If the PSP and the PS3 do fail, they will just pick of the pieces and a bottler of elmers glue to put them back together again.

Really, the only company that can't afford a failure is Nintendo.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sorry bud, but it sounds like yet again...this is a just a "OMG THE CRASH IS COMING" topic in disguise.

and...you're wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well now I am not a Sony hater by any means. If it wasn't for them home console gaming wouldn't be as strong as it is today. However every time I fire up my PS2 I do say to myself "Please load ok Please load ok" (with fingers crossed)
    Ash is a Robot! Ash is a God Damn Robot!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Mark my words, Sony's end is near

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    1) PSP - reguardless of what alot of people want, the psp isnt going to sell well in the first place,

2) PS3 - according to many sources, including my stores sony rep. PS3 release date is end of 2006 beginning of 2007 with a retail price of 500 - 800 dollars.
    I agree with point 1, simply because the Gameboy has already gained everyone's love & support.

Point 2 I think is false information. Sony is intelligent enough to price the PS3 at $300 to remain competitive. Unless Sony makes a bone-headed move (cartridge storage), all the PS2 owners will buy a PS3.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont see it as a market crash, i think if sony fell out the game market would be much more alive, esp because of nintendo, they have so many fresh new ideas that are overlooked because the majority of gamers only know sony, gta and sports. Another thing is everyone knows games make or break a system....look at saturn, it was a bane to develop for so alot of companies shuned from it hence for every 1 saturn game like 5 were poppin out for psx. Saturn had amazing games but most people didnt see it that way. If you take companies like capcom , konami, tecmo, square and so on and they develop for xbox 2 and release like 1 game every 2 years on ps2 thats a mediocre title, like they do now for xbox....sony wont be able to survive, and alot of publishers are really liking what xbox2 has to offer
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Sorry bud, but it sounds like yet again...this is a just a "OMG THE CRASH IS COMING" topic in disguise.

and...you're wrong.
    Exactly, no matter what happens, no matter what fails. The truth is, it can't happen, because Sony and Mirco have too much damn money.

As for the portable issue, are you kidding? GameBoy itself holds a 98% stronghold on the portable game market. No friggin way PSP can compete with it's numbers and status. Plus Nintendo strikes gold again, due to backwards compatiblity for GBA lovers. The DS will be the number one most wanted toy for this Christmas season, especially when you have Super Mario 64 as it's launch title.

The plumber pulls in some amazing sales numbers FAST and effectively...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Default Re: Mark my words, Sony's end is near

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    Sony's reign is at an end...
    Feh.
    Meh.
    Bleh.

Now I read your whole post and all, but face it SONY is Numbah ONE with casual gamers and thus is Numbah ONE.

Right now I'm more interested in the DS than PSP having not seen either, but it's just speculation at this point...

Can't we just speculate on the PSP without teh dr4m4??

I'm not on a high horse tho I get "twitchy" at times too...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    Seriously. Whether the CD player is in a car, home stereo, portable, or a playstation, this company simply cannot make a CD player worth beans.
    Maybe i am blessed by the electronics fairy because i have never had any Sony problems.

Discman? Still works nearly 10 years later
    TV? Same thing.
    I even have a first model Playstation that hasnt given me the problems people say they have.
    When other people were having problems playing certain DVD's on thier DVD players my Sony player played them just fine...and it was older than the players having the problems.
    And my parents owed a Sony TV that was made in 1979 and it still worked when they gave it to charity last month.

Honestly, i really dont know why people have hate for *EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT* Sony makes. PS2's i can understand...given that dirt makes them F up, but not everything.

As for this PSP/DS nonsense. I don't want either one. I don't hate portables, but neither of these things has me the least bit interested.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz