Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: complaining about shipping

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default complaining about shipping

What is with the high shipping costs. Almost every auction you look at the seller is ripping the buyer off when it comes to shipping. I've done a bit of selling and I know what it costs to ship games/dvds. Lets look at some numbers:

Most loose games or games that come in CD/DVD style cases are shipped in bubble mailers. Where I live a bubble mailer is $0.66 when not on sale. But I can almost always find them for $0.33 (big or small). But lets pretend they are $0.66 all the time.

First class is often the cheapest way to ship, or the best deal for speed. Media mail/parcel post are sometimes cheaper. But lets say they always use first class. I have a receipt in front of me from where I shipped a DVD, in a bubble mailer, from WI to CA. It cost me $1.29 first class.

So so far we have a total of $1.95 and this is considering they couldn't get a good deal on bubble mailers and they used first class shipping.

Now lets say they need to cover their gas cost to run to the post office. So bump it up to $2.50. Unless they are one at a timing it or live really far from the post office, this $0.50 per package should easily cover it.

Now lets say they want to be paid for the trouble of preparing your package. Ok so bump it up to $3.00 and we've given them $0.50 to spend 2 minutes (if they take their sweet time) to write on your bubble mailer and take it with the rest of their packages to the post.

BUT

so many people are charging $5.00 or more for shipping 1 loose cartridge. They're making at least $2.50 profit to write on your package and take it to the post. If they do 10 packages a day and it takes them an hour to get to the post, ship the packages, and get home. Thats $25 per hour, to go to the post office! I personally know I can ride my bike the 2.5 miles from my house to the post office, ship 10 packages and bike back and be home within a half hour.

Paying more than $3.00 shipping (for a loose cartridge or CD/DVD cased game) is outrageous. Boycot sellers that rip people off on shipping. Profits should be made from reselling the items not charging people that might not know any better too much for shipping.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well I'm sure that some people who sell stuff on eBay are going to post and disagree with what you are saying, but I for one agree with you 110%. Often for me, the shipping cost will make or break me bidding on an auction. More than $3 shipping for a single loose cart, single complete jewel cased game, or single DVD / DVD cased game is too much unless they ship priority mail, which in my opinion is a waste of money for something so small, because they will get to their destination at about the same time.

So I am with you; boycott auctions where the shipping is too high. In fact I'll take it a step further. I've thought about e-mailing sellers who are selling something that I want but are charging too much shipping. Something like:

"Hi. I would like you to know that I was very interested in your item (insert item here), but I did not bid on it because you overcharge for shipping. I look forward to bidding on your items in the future if you ever decide to charge a fair and reasonable amount for shipping. Thanks."

But that's just my opinion, which we all know is wrong.

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've been through this so many times before.

Just figure the total price for the item and if it's alright, buy it. If it's more than you want to pay then don't buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

The excess funds for high shipping usually goes towards eBay & Paypal fees and whatever extra for their time at the PO.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eBay and PayPal fees are stupidly high,

I've noticed a lot of people on EBAY UK up their postage costs, presumably due to the rule that you cannot surcharge for paypal payments (and I would say 80% of people pay via paypal now...)

Just my two pence...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Although it's a violation of both EBay and PayPal to charge people extra for those fees. They should do what I do, just suck it up and charge a honest shipping price. Of course, that will never be enforced.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do what I do:

Everything goes out Priority Mail. No exceptions. Small item? $4 flat rate. Bigger? Here's the weight and my zip code. Punch in your zip and the actual shipping charge pops up. U.S. only (and let's not dredge up THAT topic again ) because that's the extent of Priority Mail.

Badda-bing. BAdda-boom. Badda-done.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    eBay and PayPal fees are stupidly high
    I don't think eBay's fees are stupidly high. eBay's fees are usually cheaper than running an add in the local paper, and seeing how millions and millions of people all over the world have the opportunity to see my ad, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

If you don't like PayPal fees, don't use it. Mail cash or money orders around the country.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: complaining about shipping

Quote Originally Posted by tededfred
    Where I live a bubble mailer is $0.66 when not on sale. .... It cost me $1.29 first class....So bump it up to $2.50.
    BUT
    so many people are charging $5.00 or more for shipping 1 loose cartridge. They are making $2.50 profit.
    $2.50 profit
    - ebay fees
    - paypal credit card fees
    =======
    $0.00 profit.

I don't charge gas (1 mile to office=/1/30th a gallon), but I do charge ebay commission fees & paypal credit card fees. I know you'll disagree, but I think the BUYER should pay these. Else, items that only sell for $0.01 would be a loss on my end.

And, $1.29 first class???? Not where I live. $2.00 is typical (which is why I use cheaper media mail).

And, I agree with you. If you think my $5 ship/handling fee is too high, please don't bid. That way you'll be happy, and I'll be happy not to hear your complaint or negative feedback.

IMHO $5 is in-line with what other places like amazon.com or ebgames.com charge, so I don't see anything wrong with it. I used to ship at $2, but when I realized I was actually losing money, I decided to raise it. I sell stuff for profit, not to go deeper into debt.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Priority mail w/ printed DC from Paypal: $3.85 under one pound, more over one pound. I charge exact shipping fees Priority. You would have to be nuts to sell on ebay w/o some type of delivery confirmation, especially on anything of value.

That said, I only sell things worth decent value (sometimes 10-20$, usually $20-200). First class mail with DC is almost certainly better when you're shipping out single NES carts, for example.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    We've been through this so many times before.

Just figure the total price for the item and if it's alright, buy it. If it's more than you want to pay then don't buy it.
    that's the plan! I'd pay 10.00 shipping for a PS2 game I wanted if I could buy it for 1.00

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    The excess funds for high shipping usually goes towards eBay & Paypal fees and whatever extra for their time at the PO.
    As much as it's frowned upon, I know I like to cover ALL expenses when selling an item. including eBay fees, Paypal fees, packaging, time, etc...not to mention overall hassle it is to sell on eBay.

I usually charge 3.00 shipping on NES games, they cost 1.29 to ship most of the time. This is only because I have a large surplus of manilla envelopes and backer cards to use. I just buy bubble wrap. Otherwise I'd charge 4.00.

Selling on eBay is hard work, and I'd like compensated for the fees I have to pay on an NES cart that sold for a measly 2.00. Catch my drift?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    eBay and PayPal fees are stupidly high
    I don't think eBay's fees are stupidly high. eBay's fees are usually cheaper than running an add in the local paper, and seeing how millions and millions of people all over the world have the opportunity to see my ad, I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

If you don't like PayPal fees, don't use it. Mail cash or money orders around the country.
    The only kind of problem is if you don't take Paypal is a you'll lose a lot of sales as 80% to 90% of people only will pay with Paypal.

Actually where I live it's also $1.29 for first class shipping. Media mail actually cost more than first class. The only advantage to Media Mail over First Class is you can get delivery confirmation unless the pacakge is of a certain size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Most loose games or games that come in CD/DVD style cases are shipped in bubble mailers. Where I live a bubble mailer is $0.66 when not on sale. But I can almost always find them for $0.33 (big or small). But lets pretend they are $0.66 all the time.
    Where do you live, Mexico? Aside from what everyone else has already stated, $0.66 for a bubble mailer is unheard of in my neck of the woods. Why don't you email Amazon.com and every other internet retailer to complain while you're at it ...

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Do what I do:

Everything goes out Priority Mail. No exceptions. Small item? $4 flat rate. Bigger? Here's the weight and my zip code. Punch in your zip and the actual shipping charge pops up. U.S. only (and let's not dredge up THAT topic again ) because that's the extent of Priority Mail.

Badda-bing. BAdda-boom. Badda-done.
    That's what I do. If it's a dvd/cd case game or nes cart or boxed game, 3.50 dolalr flat rate no matter what. If it's a large package, I weigh it and put a calculator in.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Where do you live, Mexico? Aside from what everyone else has already stated, $0.66 for a bubble mailer is unheard of in my neck of the woods. Why don't you email Amazon.com and every other internet retailer to complain while you're at it ...
    Yeah they're $0.75 at Target. :P Big ol' 9 cent difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Yeah they're $0.75 at Target. :P Big ol' 9 cent difference.
    I understand that they can be had cheaply at select retailers, but I'm not going to drive across town for envelopes when I can buy them at or near the Post Office for $1.29 each. Overpriced? Maybe. But I've been charging $4.99 shipping per game for a couple of years with only one complaint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate when people over charge for shipping. Quite frankly, as both a buyer and a seller, it pisses me off greatly when I pay $5 shipping and the game/whatever comes to me costing $1.50 to ship. I bid on goods if the shipping is within reason (not like $50 for 2 games or something to the extreme), however it doesn't mean I like it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get a 6 pack of bubble Mailers at Office Depot for $3.00.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or you can purchase Bubble mailers on ebay for a lot cheaper.

Just one Example

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shrug, I sell all my stuff priority USPS...so min will be 3.95 on that.