1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Favorite non-mainstream games

I'd like to get an interesting discussion going. What are some of your favorite games that didn't sell a bazillion copies? Maybe something really obscure or quirky and bizarre that most people ignored? Or something that most people generally agree is terrible, but you love it? I hope to have people talking about games that don't have the words "Grand Theft Auto", "Super Mario anything", "Halo", "Sonic the whoever", etc. in the titles. I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of my faves.

Legacy of the Wizard for the NES is a beautiful Falcom creation with music by Yuzo Koshiro! It's a great action RPG. The interface is a little quirky and may put some people off, but it's really challenging, and very original.

Zillion for the SMS is something that doesn't get very much credit lately. It's sort of a spin-off from impossible mission, except you can shoot. A lot. It's a complicated one to explain, but anyone who has an opportunity to check it out should. Just watch out...Zillion II: the Triformation is nothing to write home about.

Drakkhen (I've only played the SNES version) gets ranked on daily, but I love it. It's a pretty simple RPG to get started on, and it moves quickly. The graphics were quite innovative back in Drakkhen's hayday...I think it's one of the first true, real-time first-person perspective games I ever saw. And the music is brilliant. Very moody--reminds me of some Psygnosis Amiga classics. (Shadow of the Beast...)

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rockin' Kats & Wacky Races for the NES

Neither of these games are exceptionally hard (both are kinda easy) but both are really really fun.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason, I really loved SaGa Frontier. It wasn't a good game. I just loved it. The graphics were very nice, a good clean 2D style, some of the characters were really interesting (Asellus the half-mystic especially), and it had some really good concepts, as well as good music. It just never got finished. It seems more like a template for a really good game than an actual game itself. You know, sort of like a design document. "Okay, so you talk to this person, and they say 'You need to go do this now', then you go over here and..." Like there was a lot more elaboration that needed to be done, but it never was. With just a coule more months of development, it could have been a really excellent game, instead of an addictive, fun, yet seriously flawed game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm fond of Stretch Panic/Freak Out.

Definitely something different and lovely characters (Linda ), although it would've needed a bit more polishing on the level design. Sounds a bit stupid to complain about level design though when your character has the ability to grab and bump into female body parts to open the next level.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed Quest 64, but I think I'm one of very few who did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yeah!

Guerilla War for the Arcade. So much so that I bought it! It was a single or Two player game, that was based on some Soldiers that did something or another.....in short, it was about killing a whole bunch of people with an assortment of weapons. I enjoyed it immensely. Never hear too many people talk about it, and I'm normally afraid to bring it up in fear of ridicule. HAHA! Just kidding, If someone makes fun of me I tell them, "Guerilla Wars owns you BIOTCH! All your base ARE belong to US!"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Silent Bomber PSX

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Guerilla War for the Arcade. So much so that I bought it! It was a single or Two player game, that was based on some Soldiers that did something or another.....in short, it was about killing a whole bunch of people with an assortment of weapons. I enjoyed it immensely. Never hear too many people talk about it, and I'm normally afraid to bring it up in fear of ridicule. HAHA! Just kidding, If someone makes fun of me I tell them, "Guerilla Wars owns you BIOTCH! All your base ARE belong to US!"
    I agree. I have never played the arcade version, but the NES version is everything Ikari Warriors should have been. It's simple-minded, it's easy, but it's perfect just how it is!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for the SNES. This game gets ripped on so much, but it was my first RPG when I was like 7 years old and it's still one of my favorites today. The music is some of the best I've ever heard on an RPG to date and the game was easy and very enjoyable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for the SNES. This game gets ripped on so much, but it was my first RPG when I was like 7 years old and it's still one of my favorites today. The music is some of the best I've ever heard on an RPG to date and the game was easy and very enjoyable.
    Hey, man. I agree with you, especially about the music. Comparing it to other games of that time and for that system, it's not as colorful (literally) as other games, but it's still really fun to play.

I like RPG's that move quickly. (That doesn't mean I don't like a story, though) FFMQ is just such a thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

p.o.w for the nes.that was a really great game.also,okage:shadow king,for ps2.that game was great.it has good graphics,great gameplay,and cool story.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Mario's Picross.

I can't even begin to explain how under appreciated this game is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this counts but Mafia on the pc is a great game and I don't hee much of it. Great story great quests, hillariouse ai.

Playing a lot of interesting DC games Mars Matrix Dynomite Cops and Ms. Pac man Maze Maddness. I enjoy pac man with a new twist pretty fun.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about Heavy Barrel for the NES?......??

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to love playing bouncers for the sega cd... I bet it is still just as fun today... need to get it. Anyone else ever play this game?

edit:
    I just read this review: http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/bouncers.htm
    Was the game really that bad? I loved it when I was like 9 and 10 years old. I still want this game though. Anyone got a copy?
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Playing a lot of interesting DC games Mars Matrix Dynomite Cops and Ms. Pac man Maze Maddness. I enjoy pac man with a new twist pretty fun.
    Dreamcast is loaded with gems. Silver is great. I know Shenmue recieved a lot of (negative) attention, but I think that game is brilliant. I swore the Sega was on to the next big thing with that. I couldn't get enough of it.

I think the best Dreamcast game, however, was Ecco the Dolphin. It's beautiful. It's really long too, I never beat it and I played the thing on and off for 2 years (I recently started it again.) It's kind of glitchy, but it's so intense that I can get over it. I also have a fear of drowning which may add to my fascination with this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

How about Heavy Barrel for the NES?......??
    You must be seeing something there that I'm not. Data East absolutely butchered a number of games on the NES and I feel that Heavy Barrel's one of 'em.

I keep hearing wonderful things about Mario's Picross. I seem to remember that being a gameboy game? What system(s) was it released on?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Mario's Picross.

I can't even begin to explain how under appreciated this game is.
    I doubly agree. Mario's Picross is a great game.

Here's a link to a web page with similar picross puzzles/games:

http://enotes.diallink.net/jcsaved.htm

(Scroll down to the bottom for webpages)

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to go with the game Deadly Towers for the NES. I have been hearing horrid things about this game. How it is one of the worst games ever made. So, I found it at a pawn shop 2 days ago for $2 and figured I would check it out and see how bad it really is. I actually think that the game is awesome. It is hard, but it is very cool. Good fanatasy sounding music. Cool items. Hard monsters. And a decent story for it's time.

Also, I would have to say the Suikoden series. So many people just disregard this series for the Final Fantasy series. It is personally my favorite video game series of all time, and I can't wait for #4 to come out in a few months here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Dane
    Also, I would have to say the Suikoden series. So many people just disregard this series for the Final Fantasy series. It is personally my favorite video game series of all time, and I can't wait for #4 to come out in a few months here.
    Man, +1 on Suikoden!!! I particularly loved the first two. I'm curious about the fourth one, but don't have as much time for RPGs these days...

One of my favorite sleepers is Heart of Darkness on PSOne, by the team(s) that made Out of This World and Flashback. Similar to those two games but with Oddworld production values...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK