Thread: Favorite non-mainstream games

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Dane
    Also, I would have to say the Suikoden series. So many people just disregard this series for the Final Fantasy series. It is personally my favorite video game series of all time, and I can't wait for #4 to come out in a few months here.
    Man, +1 on Suikoden!!! I particularly loved the first two. I'm curious about the fourth one, but don't have as much time for RPGs these days...

One of my favorite sleepers is Heart of Darkness on PSOne, by the team(s) that made Out of This World and Flashback. Similar to those two games but with Oddworld production values...

Cheers,
    Ben
    I hear ya on not having much time for games, especially rpgs. And Heart of Darkness? That game sounds really familar. Is it by any chance a game where you are a boy who flies to another planet and fight aliens? But is it one of those games where each time you go to a new room you have to make a quick decision as to what to do? If that is the same game then I agree with you. I played it a long time ago and it was awesome. I would love to find it again one day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Dane
    Also, I would have to say the Suikoden series. So many people just disregard this series for the Final Fantasy series. It is personally my favorite video game series of all time, and I can't wait for #4 to come out in a few months here.
    Man, +1 on Suikoden!!! I particularly loved the first two. I'm curious about the fourth one, but don't have as much time for RPGs these days...

One of my favorite sleepers is Heart of Darkness on PSOne, by the team(s) that made Out of This World and Flashback. Similar to those two games but with Oddworld production values...

Cheers,
    Ben
    I hear ya on not having much time for games, especially rpgs. And Heart of Darkness? That game sounds really familar. Is it by any chance a game where you are a boy who flies to another planet and fight aliens? But it is one of those games where each time you go to a new room you have to make a quick decision as to what to do? If that is the same game then I agree with you. I played it a long time ago and it was awesome. I would love to find it again one day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How the heck did I double post? I just hit preview and then hit submit. Oh well, sorry guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    I keep hearing wonderful things about Mario's Picross. I seem to remember that being a gameboy game? What system(s) was it released on?
    Throw in ANOTHER vote. Mario's Picross is unbelievable. It's in my top 5 for Mario games. It was only released on the Game Boy over here, but it has a Super Famicom sequel which manages to top the Game Boy game.

SNATCHER thoroughly justifies the purchase of a Sega CD and the $50 for the game itself.

Vib Ribbon is extremely well-known among PSX importers, and when I got it in the mail yesterday and started playing it I found out why. Highly recommended.

What else do I usually answer when this topic pops up...

WWF No Mercy on N64 is great even if you don't watch wrestling. It's like the difference between American and Japanese wrestling. American wrestling is based on gimmicks (WWF Attitude, WWF Smackdown) while Japanese wrestling is based on - get this - WRESTLING!

On the same token, since it was made by the same people, Def Jam Vendetta is worth checking out, especially at the low price it's at now.

Roll Away for Playstation is great the same way Mario's Picross is.

Bushido Blade was pretty damn cool back when it was first released, and it still is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gynoug MD/Gen
    Jewel Master MD/Gen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Cubivore for the Gamecube is a great game that wasn't all that popular.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I would have to go with the game Deadly Towers for the NES. I have been hearing horrid things about this game. How it is one of the worst games ever made. So, I found it at a pawn shop 2 days ago for $2 and figured I would check it out and see how bad it really is. I actually think that the game is awesome. It is hard, but it is very cool. Good fanatasy sounding music. Cool items. Hard monsters. And a decent story for it's time.
    Thank you for having the nads to bring that up. Every review I've read of Deadly Towers has written it off as a piece of crap, but I think it's great. It's really too hard to take on without at least a map, though (the entrances too all dungeons are hidden.)

When I was a kid I thought DT's music was great. It's really moody and creepy. You know, if you want to make it easier on you, start the game and kill yourself. Then change the first 2 letters of the password it gives you to FE or EF. You'll have the best of all equipment and one bell. You'll be ready to take on the towers. The game is really fun if you skip over the "building-up" part of it, which is laborious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default indeed

I loved the Pandemonium! games on the PSX. It looked decent on the N-Gage, too, though the screen to too tall and narrow. I'll bet the N-Gage would be great from vertical shooters, though.

Dirty Panty Hunter is a fun PSX import... don't need to know Japanese, either.

Wetrix from the N64 is my all-time favorite, though. I hear the Dreamcast and PS2 versions (known as something else?) are even better.

Fish Sandwich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    I would have to go with the game Deadly Towers for the NES. I have been hearing horrid things about this game. How it is one of the worst games ever made. So, I found it at a pawn shop 2 days ago for $2 and figured I would check it out and see how bad it really is. I actually think that the game is awesome. It is hard, but it is very cool. Good fanatasy sounding music. Cool items. Hard monsters. And a decent story for it's time.
    Thank you for having the nads to bring that up. Every review I've read of Deadly Towers has written it off as a piece of crap, but I think it's great. It's really too hard to take on without at least a map, though (the entrances too all dungeons are hidden.)

When I was a kid I thought DT's music was great. It's really moody and creepy. You know, if you want to make it easier on you, start the game and kill yourself. Then change the first 2 letters of the password it gives you to FE or EF. You'll have the best of all equipment and one bell. You'll be ready to take on the towers. The game is really fun if you skip over the "building-up" part of it, which is laborious.
    Thanks a lot for the tip on the password. I will for sure try it when I play it later today. And yeah, the music is awesome. It fits with the mood of the game extremely well.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

From the Deadly Towers instruction manual:

"SHORT SWORD--You start the game with this sword. It is so weak, you feel lonely (you have no confidence in this sword.)"

Oh, and "Dirty Panty Hunter?" Only in Japan, the country that brought us "Toilet Kids".

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Sunset Riders. I've only ever seen this game in like two arcades, and I seem to be the only one who ever plays it in those places. I love this game, and I don't think it really caught on too much. I just couldn't get enough of it back when I used to go to the local water slides during the summer, and I wish I could find it somewhere where the joysticks still actually work. Something about funny-dressing cowboys and weilding duel shotguns with that little Mexican dude made it so cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

As for games considered terrible, D-Xhird. I actually like the game, so long as I don't use Schneider.

On NES I liked the Power Blade series. I wonder how a 3D remake would play out, tossing a boomerang and having various power suits to either move through water quicker and don't remember the other suit powers.

Also a fan of the Advanced VG series on PCE/PSX/Saturn. A pretty good girl fighter, better other girl fighters IMO.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS