Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manhunt in the dock ...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel

It's a toughie .. I have played and quite enjoyed violent games, such as GTA3 and State of Emergency. However I don't think I would have lost a great deal from my life if I could not have played them. And compared to the value of even a single human life, the fact that I might have missed out on a little fun does not rank very highly.

I am not saying here that banning violent games definitely would save lives .. only that if it could be shown that banning ultra-violent games did have a positive effect, then I can't think of a reason why I would not support that ban.

You're absolutely right and I think most people would agree that if stopping the sale of violent games and movies really would stop violence then it should be done. You're right that no amount of fun and money for the publishers is worth bloodshed. But. Big But. I cannot equate someone watching a violent act on a television, or quasi-participating in an imaginary violent attack in a video game with an actual act of murderous violence. I dont know what it's like to kill someone with a claw hammer, but I imagine that the state of mind you'd have to be in to do such a thing would be... well probably like an advanced schizophrenic episode. What we're talking about is someone who says they killed someone - with a claw hammer - because they saw a DEPICTION of said act on a television. How can that be a legitimate excuse? How can there be ANY excuse for this? Notice that this kid is going to jail, not the programmers that made the game. Obvioulsy we know who's really at fault here. But the video game is expected to share the blame. If there were no visual depictions of violence - then violence would not exist. If this was true, I'm sure most people would agree that violent imagery is not worth having. Maybe it's not worth having anyway. It's a hard thing to defend, a game like Manhunter, which uses over-the-top violence as, at best, a gimmick. But I believe that violence does, and always has existed apart from dramaticized violence. And using a dramatic portrayal of violence as a way to excuse this kid's behavior sounds like the kind of thing a mother would say who doesnt want to believe her child is psychotic. So it's understandable, but I dont believe it's the truth. Of course I say this as someone who's been playing video games for 25 years who doesnt want to believe anyone would ever be negatively influenced by them.
    Cinnamon!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    Does anyone remember Half Life Blue Shift being banned in Australia? because you could get a gun from a security guard, they said it encouraged people to kill security guards, and could happen in real life....
    Uh. I remember that. Im not sure that it got "banned" as such, but from what i remember some crazy lady wrote an article in a newspaper (herald sun if i recall corectly) that said it was bad that you could kill security guards and steal their guns. I think what happened after that was the censorship board re-reviewed the game, but did nothing after that.

In fact the censorship board (OFLC) does a lot of re-reviewing, which is why games get 'banned" here, though its not really banned per se. Sometimes they wont give a game a rating, in which case games have to be edited to meet rating guidelines. GTA3 was released then pulled because they felt they should review the rating it had been given (MA15+). Im pretty sure rockstar had to take out the ability to have sex with prostitutes then run over them before being given the ok to re-release it.

Im not sure about manhunt, but im pretty sure it didnt get done over like gta3, or they did it (editing) before releasing it. NZ banned manhunt outright though, but IMO New zealand is a little more conservative than Australia. Ghost recon was also pulled, re-reviewed and rereleased (with no changes afaik). Its happened several times, and everytime it does it gets pinned as a ban

I dont think Night Trap got banned either, but it did take an extremely long time to be given a rating (no rating = no release), and by the time it was nobody cared about the game.

I cant think of any games that are banned to the effect that the selling/buying of them is illegal (Blue shift, MH, GTA3 and Carmageddon are all available at local EB), and if they are they're probably from america (e.g the game "ethnic clensing").

As for the game Manhunt itself.. I never did like it, and to be honest i dont really think the world ever needed a game where you play a serial killer. Heck i'd probably be glad if it got pulled from shelves because then the risk of me being suffocated with a plastic bag by mentally disturbed underage gamer decreases by 90%.

The problem is thus: Parent sees young child watching movie "kill bill", removes child from tv and scolds.

Parent sees child playing Grand Theft Auto 3, parent sees dog soiling rug. Parent disiplines dog for soiling on rug. Parent cleans soiled rug and leaves room.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

It's definitely a touchy issue, but the way I see it is this.

You don't let your child watch Faces of Death and scat videos, why would you let them play Manhunt? It's not to say that the game didn't have any part in sending the kid over the edge, but there is certainly no way the kid was right in the head, played a violent game, then went out and beat someone with a hammer. Human beings do not work like that.

And besides, it's just the latest public issue to try and blame peoples real problems on. I remember when I was a kid it was a hellworthy tresspass to let your child watch a rated R movie, and there were cases of "Kid sees Terminator, goes on violent killing spree!" in the headlines. You don't see that kind of junk anymore because they've moved onto a new medium to blame their own poor parenting on. That, or the child was mentally unstable, and thus should DEFINITELY not have been playing Manhunt.

Either way, it really blows that the kid was beat and stabbed to death, but blaming the game is about as logical as blaming the company that made the hammer or the knife. The kid killed him, not the game. Lets blame the kid who was found covered in blood by two police officers, ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The article (from the link) states "...in which the players score points for violent killings."

Manhunt doesnt score points. I have the game & know how to play it.

Unless the UK version has incorporated some type of scoring system, the article is wrong.

Wish these reporters would get their facts straight before dissing the games.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whenever this arises, there's one name that always comes up, sooner or later: Jack Thompson.

He's mentioned explicitly in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3936237.stm , but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't consulted by someone before the other articles were written.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I know everyone keeps saying "kid", but at 17 years old in the UK you can join the army so that kind of separates the men from the boys in my mind. I was 17 when I graduated high school and moved out weeks before my 18th birthday. I know they stress the kid angle in stories like this, but 17 to me is pretty much an adult. 17 is also old enough to see any R rated movie, and there are plenty of them out there just as violent as Manhunter.

Is it possible he got the idea or the technique from the game? Sure.

What I would like to see a study done on is if videogames blur the line more strongly between reality and fantasy than other forms of entertainment. Honestly I don't think so, but you never know. I remember the kid who brought his rifle to school and shot classmates and said he got the idea from Stephen King's short story Rage. There were the kids that burned down their trailer home after watching Beavis and Butthead. Scores of kids have been injured from imitating Jackass. This isn't bad folks, it's just natural selection. It's just the other kids they take out kind of sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't forget the kid who killed himself in the belief he would be reincarnated as Simba. Disney kept that one really quiet...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is not the first time "shoot-em-up" video games have been blamed for triggering a violent response
    Damn so many mistakes... lol now they are dissing SCHMUPS

I was reading the paper today... more about ManHunt

Saying people are flogging it for Xbox and PS2 for £50-£60 a copy brand new on ebay.. I look on ebay and what do you know... its correct!

Is it morally wrong to cash in on this? theres lots of people taking the opportunity I see...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is REALLY GOOD, AND is no WAY for people of a younge age... I would say 16 and up....

It has Bad language and very grusome killings... but seriously after I play it I dont have any violent tendencies....

They dont just use bats in the game there are nail guns, wires to cut heads off and all kinds of crazy stuff...

This is Really a game older people should have only.... Just like BMX XXX hell they have Nude Strippers in that game, alond with the bad language.

Also we have to know this is in Europe... they are extremly anti violence /guns... I went to austria and they couldnt believe I owened 7 guns

They have a completely different life style. Nudity is no big thing there, but any type of violence or gun is.
    GIG'EM AGGIES WHOOP!!!!!

ALWAY LOOKING FOR COMPLETE NES GAMES PM ME