Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My take on the 128 bit era of gaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My take on the 128 bit era of gaming

8d98484472

I have always been an pretty middle of the pack type gamer,I went through the 8,16,32,64 and now
    the 128 bit age and even had my times were I would collect systems of the past to experience some
    of the lost games I never got to play such as the Jaguar,3D0,Sega CD,Saturn,etc. and had alot of
    memorable times with my Nintendo,Genesis,Playstation and Dreamcast as my main ones I played.
    Well were I am trying to get at in this post is my disapointment with
    the 128 bit age of gaming and how it could have been better in some aspects.

The 128 bit age started strong with the Sega putting out a revolutionary system in the Dreamcast which
    I still think is the best system ever made that could have been.I enjoyed alot of Dreamcast titles
    in the height of its success.Sega was ready to be the big cheese again and their system has the
    programming friendliness that the Saturn lacked and had some good 3rd party developers to boot.

Well of course Playstation liked being on top and they knew they still had a large market of casual
    gamers as well as hardcore gamers who stuck to the Playstation and we know the rest of the story.DVD
    technolgy was fixing to hit mainstream and of course Sony would capitlize on it with the release of
    the PS2 which include a DVD player as well as backward compatibility in the Playstation One which had
    mainstream gamers in Dreamlands.The PS2 sold itself and Sega knew their less powerful Dreamcast
    would take a bigger hit than expected,not to mention the upcoming release of Microsoft's X-Box and
    the Nintendo Dolphin{Gamecube}.

So of course the PS2 came out and had 3rd party developers putting games out the frame,most of them
    crap as most would expect at first until developers got a feel for the PS2's hardware.Dreamcast could
    no longer give away their systems as the PS2 was already dominating before the X-Box or the Dolphin
    came out.Sega had no choice but to throw in the towel on a great system that was overshadowed by
    Sony's marketing genius which had overtaken Sega once again.Sega then decided to give up their dream
    of console domination and started focusing on developing a strong software company again.

Not long after the Playstation 2 Phenom and the Dreamcast's early death Microsoft released their first
    console system the X-Box with a graphic processor that was as powerful as computer 3-D cards at the time.
    People who were disapointed with the PS2's slow start jumped on the Microsoft bandwagan and hoped
    for the best.

Nintendo who used to be the heavyweight king with the NES and SNES who just had their first disapointment
    in the N64 some years back which was always 2nd to the Playstation through the 32 Bit,64 bit years
    decided to save what they considered the best for last and released
    their small yet design but effective powerful machine the "Gamecube" which utilized Mini Disk
    technology and had a very impressive graphic and cpu chip of its own rivalying the X-Box's.

So the War was on between PS2,X-Box and Gamecube,may the best system win......

PS2 soon struck Gold with their Grand Theft Auto Series and eventual release of Grand Theft Vice City
    which was a much have for any game out there because of its easy yet extremly fun gameplay,they also
    appeased their RPG gamers who floked to the Final Fantasy Series which was revolutionary in itself,as
    well as alot of quality titles that made the PS2 sell even more units.

Microsoft wasnt going out with a fight though,they knew the only way to outdo Sony was to utilize the
    X'Box strength in multiplayer gaming over the internet which spawned hit "Halo" which intised more
    causual gamers to pick up an X-Box to experience the next generation in video gaming.

By Now Gamecube was still a distant 3rd and looked like they were the oddman out despite sporting
    some impressive looking game's graphic wise.The kiddie marketing that haunted them with the N64
    ported over to the Gamecube' early days as the Gamecube just simply didnt have enough quality games
    or quanity for that matter,but we will get back to them later

Microsoft started turning up the Heat on PS2's empire in late 2003 with advertisments and cranking
    out games at the rate of Sony

Sony then started to realize what the X-Box was stumbling upon and started making games to utilize their
    recently release network adaptor and put full faith in their Final Fantasy Series and turned it into
    a multiplayer event as Halo was for the X-Box,Sony also had their plans to revive old favorite Resident
    Evil Series into a muliplayer game "OutBreak" which was a huge hit on their PSOne.

Now Gamecube then realized they were far behind in the race and decided instead of making one huge
    move they would make some little ones to try to at least get to 2nd if they possible could,they slashed
    the price of the Gamecube during the holiday season of 2003 and then started bringing back old ports
    of gaming favorites such as the Zelda Series,Sonics Series and some of the Older Final Fantasy's to
    get some of the old school gamers from the late 80's and early 90's to put faith in their system
    enough to warrant it as a 2nd System if nothing else to go along with the PS2 and X-Box modern gaming.
    They also released a broadband adaptor but few games utilize it.

So in conclusion its mid 2004 and the X-Box is catching up to the PS2 and it looks like the Nintendo is just trying
    to break even if they can at this point.I have played all three systems and none of them in my opinion have enough
    games I like to warrant buying them,I bought a gamecube once but tired of it after the Resident Evil series was the only
    one I could enjoy and took it back for a refund to invest in systems I could burn games for and relive some lost games
    I never got to play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default .........................

Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your last sentence had me the most concerned about burned games. So you only enjoy systems that you can get games for free on? Everyone knows that the Dreamcast was the most easily pirated system ever. Who needs modchips when I can just burn the game. I hope for the sake of all Sega fans that you at least supported the system by buying games for it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's Xbox, not X-Box, you would think after 3 years, people would know this by now.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    It's Xbox, not X-Box, you would think after 3 years, people would know this by now.
    Personally I like to call it XboX just because I think it looks cooler.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Long Live The Dreamcast...and friggen hell man not only is that too long that no one will read it, its just a rehash of...everything...
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was this an assignment for English Composition 101?

MY OPINION: The "128-bit generation" is just like the 32/64-bit generation. Same games - better graphics. It's all been done before.

The same was true of the 16-bit generation - essentially just "upgrades" of the 8-bit games.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah 128 has been the most dissapointing generation thus far with the exception of the dreamcast...the game industry has had me snoozing more and more since sega dropped off the console map.
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The latest age of gaming can best be summed up as "boatloads of crap". Every generation of systems has had terrible games, but the balance is even further off right now. Too many interactive movies calling themselves RPGs, ultra-violence for the sake of ultra-violence, sports games, and a ridiculous glut of FPSs. Very sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

I was under the impression that this (PS2, XBox, GameCube) was actually the 256-bit generation (as if it mattered or meant anything ...).

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My view on 128 bit gaming - noone really knows (knew) what to do with all that extra grunt. FMV - done, 3d - done, CGI, done yadda, yadda, yadda. There are a few exceptions (namely Eternal Darkness - truly original, the broken controller bit was genius!) but all in all just souped up 16 and 32 bit games...roll on the Revolution! Now I'm going back to play my GBA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually read an article by Steven Kent a couple years saying that the only 128 bit console is the PS2. Dreamcast is 64bit, Gamecube is 64 bit, and im unsure of the Xbox (it's not 128 bit though). I know the GBA is 32bit. Bits matter, but not as much as you might think.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    and im unsure of the Xbox (it's not 128 bit though)
    Im pretty sure its 32-bit, particularly since its driven by an intel cpu quite similar to the Pentium III (iirc).

My view on the current gen- its kinda unfortunate that developers now have the power to create any kind of game/world they want, but almost everything has been done before and they end up being lambasted as unorginal (particularly in these forums). I say enjoy the sexyness of the games and look at whats different about them, not whats the same.

My favourite part of current gen: im never held back by graphics in the game. I can see the track on the horizon of a race game, or an enemy sniper in a tower and i love it.

Oh yea, before i forget: orginal post/essay needs to be rewritten to make more sense ( no offence or anything) :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    Your last sentence had me the most concerned about burned games. So you only enjoy systems that you can get games for free on? Everyone knows that the Dreamcast was the most easily pirated system ever. Who needs modchips when I can just burn the game. I hope for the sake of all Sega fans that you at least supported the system by buying games for it.
    On the bright it also made it easy to port emulators to the DC and also to the X-Box later on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the Xbox is 32Bit, and it doesn't really matter what -bit CPU a console has, as the Xbox obviously is technically more advanced than the 64 and 128bit consoles :)
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, I think this hasn't been that bad a generation. Then again, I mostly play action games, and so far, there have been a ton of great ones. Devil May Cry, Gunvalkyrie, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, etc, etc. Aside from a few like GV, though, they DO seem to borrow from each other a lot; you can definitely feel DMC's influence in Ninja Gaiden or CV:LoI.

But then, of course, there are games like Chulip which are just so far out there... I mean, a kissing simulator? XD

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    The latest age of gaming can best be summed up as "boatloads of crap". Every generation of systems has had terrible games, but the balance is even further off right now. Too many interactive movies calling themselves RPGs, ultra-violence for the sake of ultra-violence, sports games, and a ridiculous glut of FPSs. Very sad.
    Probably summed it better than i did with all my ranting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Maybe it's my age, but this has probably been my least favorite generation of consoles (and really, it started with Playstation).

I liked games where I could quickly and easily figure out what I was supposed to be doing, and how to control my character. The more games advance, it seems I spend more and more time trying to figure out those two things, which is not where my enjoyment of gaming comes from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have to say this era in general has been pretty blah-zay. Oh there have been some bright shining gems out there and I do have an Xbox and a Gamecube but nothing overly interests me and what does most of the time is just average. Last gen I rented and played a lot more than this gen.

One of the major things is that nothing really "wow"ed me except Dreamcast. Seeing Soul Calibur fire up made my jaw hit the floor. NFL2K was another and it made my game-disliking father in law think I was watching a football tape or something.