Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Default Hype and patience for Pokemon Leaf Green / Fire red

Anyone else want this like...yesterday? I've been hardly thrilled about any realeases in the current quadfecta of consoles reign other than like...PSO and Shenmue II for xbox, which I already own far too many copies of anyway. But then suddenly late this year Nintendo accually manages to catch my attention by bringing these remakes over, and bringing out the DS and it's lovely bunch of previews. So I'm a bit hyped for pokemon remakes, sad as it may or may not be.

Ok, the obvious game advantage here is that these remakes introduce the older pokemon into ruby/sapph, which brings us pretty damn close if not all the way to having all pokemon available in the current generation of games. I think there might still be some metal series missing but Collesseum might have fixed that.

However, there's stuff I've been seeing about these games that I haven't noticed being proudly displayed yet.

First, it comes with a wireless adapter. That's freakin awesome for a $35 game. I was gonna buy it anyway, but damn, that really sells it. now I have a better excuse to buy both. Also, pokemon box is out. Did anyone notice this? You can order it from the pokemon center website, or buy it at the accual NY store. It's 20 bucks, and it comes with a freakin link cable and a memory card. I dunno if it's the same memory card variant the japanese release comes with, but hell, a mem card and a link cable will likely cost you more than 20, even used.

So yeah, sorry if I'm a bit salesmanish here, but I am freakin hyped about this for some damn reason, and I hope that at least a few other non-demographic types like myself are going to be getting in on this. I'm accually half inspired to finish up the few loose pokemon I need in ruby/sapph now.

Now we just need a pokemon MMO on the DS.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I used to love the hell out of Pokemon (Red for Gameboy, as well as the TCG), but it seems a little weird that they would already re-release the games that started it all, when they're not even at the 10-year mark just yet. It just sort of seems like the accelerator got stuck on the gravy train and they ran out of ideas too soon. I wasn't aware of the wireless adapter coming with the game, but that does add value to it, especially when you consider stores like Best Buy/Circuit City/Target and all other sorts of retailers will probably have it marked down to around the $25 price point the week it comes out (and probalby on through Christmas, if last season was any indication).

An honest question though...how popular is Pokemon still? I know they still release cards and such, but it seems to me that Yu-Gi-Oh and some other shows/games are outselling it now by a pretty wide margin. Then again, it'd be pretty hard to match the Pokemania that swept the nation back when it was 'new hotness' (as opposed to 'old and busted,' which is how I can't help but see it now).

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Yeah, I was thinking the remakes were a bit early and money grabby as I only got my gameboy color and silver/gold a year or two ago. But I guess they want to do a bit of a restart to sell stuff, as ruby/sapph were designed to not be able to trade with the previous generations. At first it seemed a bit much for ruby/sapph/collesseum at full price and all but they are defintely making up for that with red/green. Although I really can't understand them only technically selling Box in one store.

You're probably mostly right about the fact that it's lost a lot of steam. I've been playing the damn game since the prospect of playing FFVIII was new and interesting, and I'm sticking with it through it's current wave for sure, the franchise is an awesome timekiller. It must still be somewhat popular, nintendo just got full rights to the cards adn released like...three or four expansions I think. Hell, we get new pokemon DVDs at work now and then. Perhaps the recent releases have gotten the craze going again, and a real killer app for the DS could certainly kick it back up as well.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    I used to love the hell out of Pokemon (Red for Gameboy, as well as the TCG), but it seems a little weird that they would already re-release the games that started it all, when they're not even at the 10-year mark just yet. It just sort of seems like the accelerator got stuck on the gravy train and they ran out of ideas too soon. I wasn't aware of the wireless adapter coming with the game, but that does add value to it, especially when you consider stores like Best Buy/Circuit City/Target and all other sorts of retailers will probably have it marked down to around the $25 price point the week it comes out (and probalby on through Christmas, if last season was any indication).

An honest question though...how popular is Pokemon still? I know they still release cards and such, but it seems to me that Yu-Gi-Oh and some other shows/games are outselling it now by a pretty wide margin. Then again, it'd be pretty hard to match the Pokemania that swept the nation back when it was 'new hotness' (as opposed to 'old and busted,' which is how I can't help but see it now).
    Plus stuff like Dragon warrior Monsters and Demikids seem like there much better games