Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DO, which model is best? FZ1/FZ10/Goldstar/Sanyo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default 3DO, which model is best? FZ1/FZ10/Goldstar/Sanyo?

I just got a Panasonic 3DO FZ1 model. It is cool but have noticed lately that games like Dragon's Lair or Full Motion games as well as others seem to be having loading problems? Specificly, they run smotth and fine for about 5 minutes but then the longer it is on the worse the frame rate becomes until they start failing to load at all. I am about ready to open up the unit but was wondering if anyone might have this problem and if they know WHY? Is it a cooling problem? Which model best for reliability and loading backups? Any views and opinions appreciated!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The FZ-10 is probably the lowest-maintenance of the bunch, since it was produced later than the other two US-released models and it's got a flip-top.
    The FZ-1 has the longest production run, making it likely the easiest model for which to find parts.

The Goldstars had a notoriously high failure rate back when they were new, and the drive mechanism is actually built into the drawer, making them extra-funky and extremely difficult to repair.

The Sanyo was never released in the USA, so so I can't comment on them, although the Sanyo and Goldstar both had an MPEG-1 module produced for them, so you could play standard VCDs on them.

Anyway, I think your problem is probably a failing CD drive, although it wouldn't hurt to open the machine up and clean it out. Not going to help you with the piracy part of your question. I don't know because I've never tried it, and it's rather inappropriate of you to ask.

PS. Don't you *LOVE* the way the 3DO renders text on the screen? It's the clearest I've ever seen from any system. I'd love more info on how they did that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 3DO

I've owned two FZ1s, one was DOA and one doesn't power up unless I twist the power cord into an unnatural position. My FZ 10 has been working like a clock since I purchase it new 8 years ago.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not going to help you with the piracy part of your question. I don't know because I've never tried it, and it's rather inappropriate of you to ask.
    Unless, of course, he owns the original....he did say "backup."

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being new here, I may have misunderstood. Every other gamer discussion area I've ever been in, 'backup' was euphemism for 'illegal copy.'

In the context of rare cd-based games, I'm willing to stipulate that playing from backups is indeed a possibility, and in fact this is perhaps one of the only times in which I'd consider the backup argument a worthwhile one.

So, uh, sorry if I jumped on someone who didn't deserve it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the FZ-10 is best for playing "back-ups"
    i didnt say anythink!?!?!?!?! OK!!!!!!!!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My goldstar version plays back ups pretty well. But I've heard many times before that they are the least reliable, mines never hiccuped or anything so I guess like the psx it all depends.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever playing CD based games, it is best to play backups. That way you don't worry about damaging or scratching your originals. Making a backup takes a few minutes for each CD and it costs about 25 cents. Also, it is 100% legal!

My two favorite 3DO games: Return Fire and Star Control 2... I definitely want to have backups of them. That way, if I ever scratch the CD or misplace it, I can pull out the original master from my video game library and make another backup.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a FZ-1, and a FZ-10. I like the FZ-1 because it's tray loading makes for a nice looking system. the FZ-10 has a "cheap" feel to it.
    "He's not any kind of program, he's a user!"

Okay, I'm from AA, please don't hold that against me!

Think I'm a newbie? Check out my Credentials

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a FZ-1 and i love nice system also I pay anyone for a copy of the 3d0 memory manager demo cd that comes with the system
    I lost my

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO

I'm quite fond of the FZ-1. It just looks so cool. It's also a very reliable unit. I feel the Goldstar is pretty cheap, and I wouldn't buy one unless you want an MPEG module. The module is the easiest to find for the Goldstar and it comes with Total Recall. There is an MPEG module for both the FZ-1 and FZ-10, but they are murder to find. I do have both of them. The FZ-10 module is the hardest to find of the three. Furthermore, there is also a Panasonic memory unit available for the FZ-1, and it is also hard to find (have that too). I don't know if it works with the others or not. The 3DO is a wonderful machine that was overlooked by many people. If you don't have one get one and see what you've been missing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i saw the other day a tray loading 3do with about 20 discs for about 50, is it a good deal? the discs were loose and they did seem kinda the legit ones.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the FZ-1 and love it to death. It's the most nostalgic for me cause it's the one my friend Doug from Florida got when it came out. I remember having so much fun with that system. Star Control 2, Return Fire, Road Rash, Escape From Monster Manor, Alone In The Dark. Some great games on that system.

Kicked some serious ass when my nearby bookman's got in a shitload of boxed/complete 3do games and I picked up a star control 2 for 8 bucks =DDD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagasian
    Whenever playing CD based games, it is best to play backups. That way you don't worry about damaging or scratching your originals. Making a backup takes a few minutes for each CD and it costs about 25 cents. Also, it is 100% legal!

My two favorite 3DO games: Return Fire and Star Control 2... I definitely want to have backups of them. That way, if I ever scratch the CD or misplace it, I can pull out the original master from my video game library and make another backup.
    i tried like heck to burn return fire and star control 2 with no succes. my copy of SC2 was scratchy, that may ave been the problem there, but disc juggler refused to give me a good copy of my return fire. oddly enugh, RF: maps of death copied just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen
    I don't know because I've never tried it [playing backups], and it's rather inappropriate of you to ask.
    Just a note on that - it is always nice to know if a system can play burned games; look at The Goat Store's recent releases of Dreamcast titles on "burned media." Wholly legal releases, but they aren't on official discs.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have both the goldstar and fz-1, i've asked this question before, researched it online and still havent found a really good answer as to which system is best to keep, or which would be the rarest. all things considered i like my goldstar, never gave me a problem at all and it looks nice. i think it comes down to personal taste really, and the fact that you can stack another console on top of the fz-1 or goldstar models.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Hey Christian, are'nt YOU the one who I traded my 3DO FZ-1 to in exhcange for your NES toploader?

Very reliable system. A friend back in the day had a FZ-10 and he had so many problems with that. During the year and half that I owned the FZ-1 never had a worry.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 3DO FZ-10, the system seemed solid but it just died, I think it's the cd motor--laser seems to move alright but the cd will never spin. Though the system boots up its inability to play games means it's not more than a paper weight--unless anyone knows how to replace the motor...

Anyway, despite my inexplicably dead FZ-10, which was taken care of, I would still say it was a good system, but it does kinda look and feel cheap--of course that may be my bad experiance talking. The best most classic/cool looking 3DO is the FZ-1 in my book, they also seem (according to others) to be comensurately reliable. That's what I will probably replace my broken system with, that is after my bank accounts recover from the weekend at CGE...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have all three models.. in VG condition. My Goldstar unit is the only one originally bought by me (i.e. one owner) back about 5 years ago when they were $199 as I recall. Bought it at Software Etc; and within one week it puked on me. The manager was an arse and wouldn't exchange. Made me send it back to the manufacturer (Ahhh.. Lucky Goldtar.. maker of fine microwaves.. and.. BTW.. anybody heard about how a microwave company became LG Tron? A massive Korean electronics conglomerate today?). Anyway.. I got a replacement.. and it's worked fine ever since; but I daresay I've even put 100 hours on it; it's my baby.

I got my FZ-1 about 2 years ago. There were actually two versions of the FZ-1 released? The only way you can tell them apart is to look closely at the top of the console. The 1st release has a very shiny (almost mirrorlike) gloss to it (You can actually see reflections on it). These are hard to come by and were the smallest release. You can always tell them on eBay by pictures. You don't see them often. The second releases are much more plentiful and have an opaque dull top; although both sets featured have the same "granite-like" texture and pattern in the plastic. It's not sure whether Panasonic rereleased the second model in response to consumers complaining about scratched tops.. but if I had that model (I dont.. and yes.. I'm looking for one.) I wouldn't be stacking other consoles on top of it. Also.. opinions vary as to whether each model of the FZ-1 had any mechanical or structural differences to it as compared to the other; but most agree they don't.

My FZ-10 I got last year. I was shocked as to how big that puppy is as compared to the two previous makes. It's almost as big! In pictures.. I always thought it would be much smaller than it is.. seeing as how I never saw all three side by side (Until I had them.). I used to be mistaken that the FZ-10 was the only model that had an S-video output built right into the back, and that was why I wanted it. Imagine my surprise when I compared all three and discovered they ALL had the same outputs and I just hadn't noticed it before!

My persoanl favorite is the FZ-10; but that's just because I like the look of flip-tops (like my Duo and my X'Eye) and I have a tendency to believe they are a little bit more reliable.. if only because there's less "mechanics" involved in them; even though.. aside from my first hiccup with the Goldstar I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them.

As far as looks and style goes.. the Sanyo TRY model wins hands down.. but is impractical to "working" collectors as it wasn't released in the US. I'd LOVE to have a TRY fitted to play US games.

3DO owns a special place in my heart. It was the first "semi-expensive" system I bought for myself and I loved it's game line-up. I was devstated when the M2 was discontinued. I don't feel I was cheated or abandoned when I bought my 3DO like I did when I bought my Jaguar. But in fact.. it was a combination of feeling burned by Atari; AND misfortune on 3DO's part that led me to NOT buy a PSX for almost three years after it's release. I've also always been a big fan/worshipper of Trip Hawkins and consider the 3DO as one of his greatest successes.. and failures.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep i've got you FZ-1 in the time since that trade i've found 2 more toploaders but not a single 3DO, so to my logic it was a good swap. there just happens to be another collector i know who wants a 3DO and i've gone back and forth over trading him one of mine and if so which one.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON