Thread: Sega Ages: Outrun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Sega Ages: Outrun!

Just got this the other day and unfortunately I haven't got to spend a lot of time with it.

Just at a glance, it looks like all the original features are there (down to picking your radio station). Low/High shifting is done via L1/R1. With the PS2's analog stick, the car handles like a go-kart on speed -- a simple touch of the stick will send your car over an entire lane length.

There are a few more options this time around -- steering controls and time limits can be changed from the main menu. Other than that, I'm not really sure what else to say. It's 3D'ish Outrun.

Anyone else played this yet or planning on getting it?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I picked it up not long ago as well. I've got all of the Sega Ages JP releases so far, including the most recent two (Decathlete and Alien Syndrome) pre-ordered a while ago and supposedly en route.

I'm SO behind on my gaming. I can't wait to get into ALL of the Sega Ages titles. The only one I've really spent any time with is Golden Axe which has an interesting remix mode but is otherwise unimpressive (if you've already got the arcade game on MAME).

I'd like to hear more about these. It's a great series of games, it's the updates I'd like to hear more about. Or just PLAY the damn things myself, already.

Soon, baby... soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ooh, I need to get the Alien Syndrome one next!

The hardest thing about discussing the Outrun one is there aren't that many updates. The car is more 3D but the game itself looks a lot like the original. When time runs out, the screen that shows your path is 3D as well. Other than that, the game is strikingly similar to the original, down to the radio tunes. You can still flip your car, you can still powerslide through turns ... it's all still there.

Included is a time attack mode, for blasting through the courses without enemies. If you still can't beat the game, you can go into settings and give yourself more time on the clock.

A few times while playing I rear ended cars I simply never saw. It's not Space Harrier bad, but the 3D mode has added some blind spots for sure.

I've found myself playing it more than I thought I would. People can piss and moan about classic games all they want, but there's something to be said about games you can pick up without needing a frickin' college degree to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I was thinking of picking up the Bonanza Bros. and Space Harrier ones, how are they?

Otherwise I'll stick to the Saturn's Sega Ages collection. Mmm, nostalgic...and damn hard to complete.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    I was thinking of picking up the Bonanza Bros. and Space Harrier ones, how are they?

Otherwise I'll stick to the Saturn's Sega Ages collection. Mmm, nostalgic...and damn hard to complete.
    I still haven't opened Bonanza Bros. I have played Space Harrier though. At first, I thought it was VERY cool. It has some interesting lead-in scenes and the updates to the bosses in particular are really nicely done. There are also some power-ups like rapid-fire and "smart bomb" weapons. It's good stuff but in the whole gamut of Sega Ages updates it's about in the middle.

On the OTHER hand, I'm going to disagree with Flack on this one - I think Out Run is the BEST of the set so far! The graphics upgrade is really nice. Time Attack is OK and there's a new "Arrange" mode that basically runs you through a diamond shape selection path instead of a triangle (ie after halfway through the courses are selected for you, a longer ride) and a new "rival" is added to the course with each new area you reach. The arcade physics are captured perfectly, this is the way all Sega Ages updates should be!

FYI I finally started busting these open. Super Monaco rocks. Gain Ground sucks because the real update is that you have new view angles which are completely useless as the overhead is the only one that really works with all of the various weapon types. A few of them don't even seem updated, like Puyo Puyo, Columns and Virtua Racing, though if you liked those in the arcade, they're at LEAST arcade perfect (I suppose the graphics may be a little better but it's hard to tell). I also really like Alien Syndrome, the game gets closer to the action.

I have a few yet to get through. As a Sega fan I'm digging the series overall but some of them wouldn't be worthy for a gamer library UNLESS you were collecting the whole set (as I am).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody who even remotely likes Fantasy Zone needs to get the Sega Ages remake NOW. The graphics and sound are fantastic, and gameplay is pretty much identical. But you can play the updated 3D mode, and you'll get a view kind of like Space Harrier after you finish off a boss. This is how you collect your bonus coins. They've also added a few more items and stages, plus a gallery mode to view the 3D models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think Outrun is probably my second favorite of the series behind Golden Axe. I know a lot of people dogged it but I thought it was pretty fun. I agree with Joe on the Virtua Racing one as well -- I haven't played the original in a while, but it seems to just be an arcade port from what I can remember. Definitely doesn't push the PS2 envelope graphics wise, and simply doesn't have the fun factor that Outrun does.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Okay, I'm a little behind the times...I knew Sega Ages was a few Saturn or Dreamcast releases that came out (outrun and space harrier I remember), but now people are talking about Gain Ground and Fantasy Zone? WITH UPDATES? How the hell did I miss out on this? Can you guys give me some details on these releases/what console/etc.?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    Okay, I'm a little behind the times...I knew Sega Ages was a few Saturn or Dreamcast releases that came out (outrun and space harrier I remember), but now people are talking about Gain Ground and Fantasy Zone? WITH UPDATES? How the hell did I miss out on this? Can you guys give me some details on these releases/what console/etc.?
    They've been coming out for the Japanese PS2 for a few years now. The games are more or less arcade (or console) perfect with enhanced graphics and sound, usually with added features as well. The first in the series, Phantasy Star, has a little plastic binder packed with it and a laminated info card with punched holes to put in it. Each of the games have one of those cards as well - so you're not only gettnig the game but also another "page" in your Sega mini-binder.

01: Phantasy Star
    02: Monaco GP
    03: Fantasy Zone
    04: Space Harrier
    05: Golden Axe
    06: Bonanza Bros.
    07: Columns
    08: Virtua Racing
    09: Gain Ground
    10: After Burner II
    11: Fist of the North Star
    12: Puyo Puyo
    13: Outrun
    14: Alien Syndrome
    15: Decathlete
    16: Virtua Fighter 2 (this one is coming soon)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

The million dollar question is:

WHY THE HELL CAN'T SEGA TAKE A PAGE FROM NINTENDO AND RELEASE THESE IN THE STATES?!?!?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they were going to release like, 4 or 5 of them awhile ago. Guess it never went through.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I thought they were still planning on releasing a US compilation. Time will tell, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    Hmm, I thought they were still planning on releasing a US compilation. Time will tell, I guess.
    Yeah. Someone over at CAG just posted something about a US release on the PS2. Even had a pic of the box art. I can't find any credible info about it online though. Anyone know for sure?

EDIT: Yeah, here it is...http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/2...w8GGXVs0D%2Fwg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    The million dollar question is:

WHY THE HELL CAN'T SEGA TAKE A PAGE FROM NINTENDO AND RELEASE THESE IN THE STATES?!?!?
    Separately, at $20 a pop? No thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Decathlete Collection is wicked. I always thought decathlete was better then Virtua Athlete. Throw in Winter Heat and you got a sweet ass set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hope Sega picks Turbo OutRun and OutRunners to do in the near future.