Thread: 5 years of eBay....first time getting ripped off! HELP!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default 5 years of eBay....first time getting ripped off! HELP!

OK, normally I can handle these situations on my own...people have tried to scam me before and I can usually use eBay knowledge and work myself out of it and usually bust the seller...but this time! ugh...

CLICK HERE

Primal Rage arcade machine, I bought it 3 months ago...that's the first problem. I get it and it works for maybe...30 mins...then moniter goes out. I contact the seller and after having lots of people look at it (and lots of help from 98PaceCar) we narrowed it down to the chassis. He sends me a new chassis (takes him forever) and about 2 months later we have the chassis and eventually get it installed. Takes a lot of time when you live in the boonies and can't do these things yourself. Cost me 50.00 to get it professionally installed

Well, same problem again, moniter goes out after about 30 mins. The guy narrows it down to needing a new moniter...about 500.00! I contact the seller again and he says cool, I'll send you another one, then he stops answering my phone calls and e-mails.

Paid with a money order, 3 months ago, and now I have a broken machine. I have NO idea what to do, I don't think there's any way possible to get my money back or get anything done.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give, suggestions, etc. 380.00 plus 50.00 for a repair call....I've got none of it and a big ass paperweight to show for it.

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if it worked when you got it, and it goes out after 30 minutes.....It was still in working order when you purchased it. Thats like driving a car off the used car lot with no warranty. If it breaks down 3 feet out of the parking lot, its your problem and not theres.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just find a local arcade warehouse or shop and have one of there servicemen come over. I don't think its that expensive. I had a guy come over and fix my Ms.Pacman once.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Man I really hate to say it but I have to agree with necrosaro420. The guy had no way of knowing that the monitor was on the verge of breaking, and he already sent you a new chassis at his expense. If I were you I would see if I could get a refund out of him, but to expect him to get you a new monitor which costs $500 when you only paid like $240 for the machine is probably a bit of a stretch.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Terrible story, but you can't really prove the seller knew anything about the condition of the monitor. Seems like a nice enough guy given the fact he sent you a new chasis at his expense. Hopefully someone local can help you out ...

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

You know, I wish I had some advice for you... but I also tend to agree with most everybody else.

I think it might just be bad luck. It doesn't work sporadically for 30 minutes at a time, does it? It never worked again after the first 30 minutes until you did the repair, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, I know what everyone's saying, but he was going to send me another used moniter he already had...I was going to send back the broken one for him to fix and the broken chassis. Then he just stopped responding to e-mails and calls.

Basically he was going to help me out, at no cost to him, and he was going to get the broken moniter and chassis rerpaired.

I guess you're right, but still, I feel totally gyped on this matter. I'm fucked I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just try to call him again and kindly ask for a replacement. IF he says no, at least you tried....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I was going to send back the broken one for him to fix and the broken chassis. Then he just stopped responding to e-mails and calls.
    He changed his mind. That is his right, because he is not obligated to help you. He sold you a working arcade game, and that's what you got. True it died 30 minutes later, but it's now your property & your problem.... not the seller's.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

i think at the second problem he just stalled until the 3 month period so you couldn't leave him negative feedback. I wonder if he is posting a similar thread on an arcade message board about a bidder who keeps asking for parts on a machine he knows worked when he sent it?

I stand with the majority on this one. Your lucky you got a chasis and the monitor is just asking for more than most would give.

I wouldn't blacklist that seller he sounds like he did more than 99% of the sellers out there and if you contact him he may STILL send you a monitor making him a super seller in my book.

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You are all right, I agree, but don't get me wrong here. I did NOT ask him for a moniter, I asked him for a PARTIAL refund on what I paid for the machine and then he just offered to send me a moniter. I just wanted some of the money back I paid for it to help cover up losses.

I know you're all right, but I still feel I'm getting the raw end of the deal. Maybe I got what I paid for, but I feel the seller should stand behind his product at least a little. Hell, I'd just like the seller to answer the phone and say "hey, i can't help you anymore, I'm sorry".

I'm not being unfair here, I'm just pretty much pissed he won't answer the phone to me anymore.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you're approaching it all the wrong way..

Forget the seller, and try and get this resolved on your own. The price you paid for it, especially in the condition it's in, is a STEAL!!!!

As far as the monitor goes, it's one of the easiest things to fix. Don't bother looking for an arcade repair place, but rather look for a regular TV repair guy.. Arcade monitors are TV's without the tuner and extra crap that you need to hookup a DVD player to it.

The easiest thing to do is to just buy a brand new arcade monitor and just pop it in there. But it's also the most expensive route.

As far as "monitor" goes.. TV repair guys will give you one for FREE! i.e. the tube as long as you have the matching chasis.

Your best bet is to go to arcadecontrols.com and post in the Monitor/video repair forum there. There's lots of knowlegable arcade/monitor repair guys there that will help you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that the seller took way tooooooo long to get the original item to you. Three months is just way too long. However after that I think that they went way above and beyond what most sellers would do. I buy and sell on ebay alot and I have never gotten that kind of service after a sale.

I agree that you have probably gotten all you are going to get from the seller and that you shoudl look into getting the item fixed on a local basis.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Basically he was going to help me out, at no cost to him, and he was going to get the broken moniter and chassis rerpaired.
    Just out of curiousity, how is that at no cost to him? Maybe I skimmed but I didn't see that you offered to pay for shipping both monitors. That's going to cost him. Plus he's sending a new monitor and getting a broken one? That's going to cost him.

I have bought and sold arcade games on eBay for a while now and pictures always make cabinets look 100x better than they really are. I have picked up 100% working games only to have them broken when I get home. Transporting old games seems to be really hard on them. I don't know the seller of your game but it's possible the game was in working order when it left his place. Of course, it's possible something was f'ed on it too, who knows. Like everyone else said, bottom line is, it's yours now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Just out of curiousity, how is that at no cost to him? Maybe I skimmed but I didn't see that you offered to pay for shipping both monitors. That's going to cost him. Plus he's sending a new monitor and getting a broken one? That's going to cost him.
    *sigh*, again, you guys are right.

I'm just in a terrible mood that this happened, you know, I guess I should just look into getting it fixed.

Back to da drawin board!