View Poll Results: Which Essay Would You Choose to Win?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Mom"

5 8.93%
  • "Nostalgic"

38 67.86%
  • "Converted"

0 0%
  • "Indy"

4 7.14%
  • "Vengeful"

4 7.14%
  • "Prodigy"

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worthiest New Collector... You Vote!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Worthiest New Collector... You Vote!

I have something I've got to share with you.

In a recent Tips & Tricks column I offered up a PlayStation Suikoden II complete with strategy guide to the person who in 100 words or less wrote the best "why I deserve this in my collection".

The results were just great, and earlier today I selected my favorite from the finalists (shown here). I'll share my pick with you later. Which one would you have chosen?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dear Mr. Santulli,

My son has always wanted to start a video game collection. He lives and breathes to play. The problem? Parents that have low paying jobs and many medical bills. He does keep a few favorites, he has Suikoden I and III, but sells games to buy new ones. He gave us money from an insurance settlement to pay bills instead of starting his collection. Now I want the chance to help him get Suikoden II to start off his collection right. It would mean the world to him. And to me.

Thank you,

“Mom”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I see 2 kinds of game collectors. Some are on ebay, selling games they were too busy protecting to enjoy. I began collecting because, like many others, I want to hold on to the feelings that these video games gave me forever. I am a gamer that cares only about that in 10 years I could experience these emotions without a cheap computer emulation. Unfortunately, because many other gamers feel the same way, true rarities are never bought by the average "bargain bin" gamer. Many of my poor gamers will soon give up. But I want to continue.

“Nostalgic”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I never considered myself a collector, but I've always kept my games in good condition. The difference was, I did this so I could get a lot of money out of them when I sold them.

But, when I thought about it, game developers and publishers put out a lot of money, time, and effort to produce and sell a video game. I began to feel guilty about selling away my games. Why wouldn't I want to hold onto the results of their hard work?

I want to change my ways for the better. I want to be a collector.

“Converted”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Why would I want to start collecting video games? One simple answer, stress relief, others turn to crime or illegal substances. I find comfort in a world full of polygons and pixels. If developers spent so much time on great games I could do little things like help the elderly across the street. Games make me want to be a better person. I thank the game companys by seeking and buying what could be the greastest treasure of this century. I'm a modern day Indiana Jones of the electronic world. Let the games begin

“Indy”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Why do I want to start collecting video games? I want to get back at all those jerks in school who called me a nerd and laughed at me over my passion for gaming. I am hoping to have such a vast, extensive and complete collection of games to put their claims to shame. Just think of how much a good, complete collection would fetch, like baseball cards. They would envy the "wealth" I would have! I wouldn't really sell anything, though I would make them think it. They don't read T&T, so I'm pretty safe!

Sincerely (and I mean sincerely),

“Vengeful”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dear Tips & Tricks (Collector's Closet),

I'm starting awfully late I suppose but, when I picked up this magazine I read it back and forth. I stared at the rare games page and thought to myself "why is it I have nothing to show for all the games I have played?" I know it seems silly but, I still expect if I start now, the games I collect will be inherited by my children when I am older. Honestly, I would be very grateful if I should get a kick-start. I hope to become the ultimate game collector of my generation.

“Prodigy”

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mom sounds like an attempted scam, and the rest are mostly people wanting 'value' (monetary) out of their stuff. I suspect none of those would have written if you offered a great but inexpensive game.

Nostalgic, on the other hand, sounded like he just loves the games. He got my vote.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was a tough call between Nostalgic and Vengeful. Mom sounded too whiney to be legitimate.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I agree. Mom sounds scammy, and the others all sound like they arent true collectors. "I wanna get back at people who made fun of me" just sounds stupid. Everyone had some ulterior motive for wanting the game, except for nostalgia man. It sounds like he collects for the same reason I do; to get back that feeling I had when I first played the games that I have. He got my vote.

None of them sound like they are real game collectors, though. Shit, I would just be happy to know that the game would go to someone who will actually play through it. After that, I don't care what he/she does with it.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Sorry if this sounds jaded (and it does), all of these people have weak cases for free games.

My experience, albeit limited to specifically my own, with mothers tells me that mom's don't randomly pick up magazines, read the letters section, and submit essays on winning their son a 100 dollar game.

Vengeance? You're going to get back at the guy who bullied you by winning Suikoden II? That might be the most absurd thing I've read all week. To put that into perspective, I just read that the FED is raising interest rates a quarter point!

"I'm a ebay reseller and now I want to win a free copy of a highly desired and expensive game to turn my evil ways around and start playing the crap I buy!" That's a pantload. If he got the game, I bet you there's one more copy of Suikoden II with a strategy guide with a $175 BIN on eBay.

In any case, I think that none of these jokers should have won the game. The guy who wrote in and said, "I'd like it because I don't have the money to buy it and it looks like a fun game to play" should have won (which is essentially the "Mom" story minus a huge spoonful of melodrama... medical bills, that's as cliché as my dog died, or I have 6 kids to feed...)

Regardless, nice thing you did Mr. Digitalpress. Hopefully the proceeds received by my recent ordering of both DP Collector guides will help offset your expenses from feeding the Jackals.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Mom sounds like an attempted scam, and the rest are mostly people wanting 'value' (monetary) out of their stuff. I suspect none of those would have written if you offered a great but inexpensive game.

Nostalgic, on the other hand, sounded like he just loves the games. He got my vote.
    I agree with Chad on the mom thing and on Nostalgic as well.

Without a doubt. Nostalgic sounds like the right one to me.
    Nobody is even close IMO.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Blissfulnoise has read my mind.

None of them really convinced me of their desire to really collect...like Chad said, if you offered, say, a box filled with common yet complete games you'd probably get more honest responses. But since I have to choose, I'd go with Nostalgic as well.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise
    Sorry if this sounds jaded (and it does), all of these people have weak cases for free games.

My experience, albeit limited to specifically my own, with mothers tells me that mom's don't randomly pick up magazines, read the letters section, and submit essays on winning their son a 100 dollar game.

Vengeance? You're going to get back at the guy who bullied you by winning Suikoden II? That might be the most absurd thing I've read all week. To put that into perspective, I just read that the FED is raising interest rates a quarter point!

"I'm a ebay reseller and now I want to win a free copy of a highly desired and expensive game to turn my evil ways around and start playing the crap I buy!" That's a pantload. If he got the game, I bet you there's one more copy of Suikoden II with a strategy guide with a $175 BIN on eBay.

In any case, I think that none of these jokers should have won the game. The guy who wrote in and said, "I'd like it because I don't have the money to buy it and it looks like a fun game to play" should have won (which is essentially the "Mom" story minus a huge spoonful of melodrama... medical bills, that's as cliché as my dog died, or I have 6 kids to feed...)

Regardless, nice thing you did Mr. Digitalpress. Hopefully the proceeds received by my recent ordering of both DP Collector guides will help offset your expenses from feeding the Jackals.
    I agree with this almost exactly.

Indy almost had me. Thats the same reason I play games (stress relief). But "games make me want to be a better person?" What a load of crap

Out of all of these, "Nostalgic" is the least smelly, so it gets my vote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

my vote is for either vengeful or prodigy....

vengeful because i feel bad for him that he thinks he will get back at people that made fun of him by collecting games

and prodigy because he said they would go to his children eventually

the mom one sucked....what are the chances he has 1 and 3, but not 2....she just wants it so she can sell it on ebay
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    my vote is for either vengeful or prodigy....

what are the chances he has 1 and 3, but not 2....she just wants it so she can sell it on ebay
    I dont have Suikoden 2 , yet I have 1 and 3
    I just wont pay ebay prices for it I will find it in the wild first.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

"Nostalgic" seems like he'd fit in here if he visited so he gets my thumbs up.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those were the finalists? I'd hate to see the what the others were like.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I also voted for Nostalgic. The rest just sounded like people who wanted to win something, not caring just what, while Nostalgic seemed like he wanted to win for personal reasons, and for the spirit of the contest.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would keep suikoden II and send "JUST KIDDING SUCKERS" to all these fools.

So in turn, I did not vote.

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    I just wont pay ebay prices for it I will find it in the wild first.
    I just found it the other day for 20 bucks =D. Guess where it is?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea Mom is a total scam, and Vengeful.....Well, he doesnt make any sense.... I guess my vote goes to nostalgic...
    Playing:Crazy Taxi 3(this game rocks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rather liked Indy myself. I wasn't moved at all by any of them though...and I didn't care for Nostalgic's "unfortunately since others are looking, I can't find it" shtick. Prodigy reminded me of a few people right here on DP but Indy gets my vote.

Personally, if those were the best, I'd have sent em all a form letter saying they didn't deserve it.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, those really aren't very good entries...

Funny coincidence. I was just playing Suikoden II again, and thinking about how when it first came out and I got it, I felt kind of bad because my dad had just bought me a game that I'd picked out on a whim. Needless to say, I didn't regret it for long.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nostalgic sounds pretty deserving

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

prodigy sounds sincere

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These people all sound like fruit cakes to me. I'm going to guess it's to late to put my two cents in.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.