Thread: So what is the verdict on Deus Ex 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default So what is the verdict on Deus Ex 2?

I remember there was a fair bit of hype over Deus Ex 2 a few months ago, but I hadn't heard anything about it since. And now it's turned up at Compusmart for 9.99 CDN, which is actually cheaper than what they're selling the original Deus Ex for.

Did something go horribly wrong with this game? Or is this the ultimate fate of All That Is Hyped in this era?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it for a few hours on my Xbox and it seemed pretty fun. I liked the open-endedness. I never played more, though, since I never played through Deus Ex. I got up to the ship (in the first) and hated that one level so I just kind of never bothered again.

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a good game, no doubt about that, it's just not like the first game exactly. Deus Ex 2 seems like a very dumbed down version of Deus Ex. Actually, it is. They pretty much developed the game with the Xbox version in mind, and then ported it over to the Pc. It's very, 'console-ish'.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I love it. In fact, the only reason I'm not playing it right now is because I was able to get Chronicles of Riddick cheap and am absorbed by that right now. Great game, well worth the price it's going for.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Played through the entire thing. It's an above-average game that has the distinct misfortune of being the sequel to an extraordinarily excellent game. The fan backlash was swift & brutal.

It's well worth your time at the current patch revision.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    I love it. In fact, the only reason I'm not playing it right now is because I was able to get Chronicles of Riddick cheap and am absorbed by that right now. Great game, well worth the price it's going for.
    Cool..

I just got Deus Ex 2 a few days ago for $10.00 (after the 50%)

I played through the first game and tried the demo of Deus Ex 2 with mixed feeling..
    I was hoping someone said something good about it..I bought Chronicles of Riddick on release and still haven't played it yet..

I'm not sure what game I want to start now and these two are my choices..

Deus Ex 2 or Chronicles of Riddick..?

I'm almost done with Transformers...already..

Note:I only paid($29.99 for Transformers new,not the $49.99 as it's market in the picture.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Deus Ex 2 and Chronicles of Riddick are both good games and have some very interesting similarities.

Deus Ex 2 is much more open ended, Riddick really only tantalizes with inclings of open ended game play that never really belie the linear--taught story. Deus Ex 2 gives you a much stronger impression of being open ended--but it really is quite structured. Both have freaking wonderful graphics but unfortunately both have some bugs, and the AI's leave a little to be desired.

If you have both Riddick and DE2 and don't know which to start first I would recomend Riddick, seriously even if you daudle you can beat it in 12 hours tops as soon as 8 if you rush!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Deus Ex 2: Invisible War gives the illusion of being open-ended, but in reality it's just like the first one where it doesn't matter which side you choose, you'll almost always be able to get all endings on the last level if you keep everyone alive.

It's not exactly optimized for PC and I hear the Xbox version isn't chop-free, either. The story is decent and probably on-par with the first; the graphics are pretty good but the people look sort of ghastly because they tried to make 'em too realistic. The music bites. It's also just plain dumb that they have big huge human-sized vents leading into every super-secret area you have to go into.

They took out skills entirely which I would agree really dumbed down the gameplay a lot. The fact that you can't develop your skill with multitools is just ghey. Because of this they've taken out most of the replayability of the original game. The levels are quite tiny compared to the first and they have an extremely cramped feeling. There are nowhere near as many little nooks and crannies to explore. They removed the traditional FPS controls (i.e. - being able to hit 1 through 0 and select that weapon) as well as the good inventory system and all that sort of thing. Although there is some peripheral info (i.e. - newspapers, books, etc.) in the game, it also feels very dumbed-down. Hacking is also dumbed-down...the whole thing is just utterly lacking. It has some interesting things (i.e. - black market biomods), but they really never force you to make a choice about which ones you're going to upgrade (if you choose a biomod, you will max it by the end of the game as long as you don't switch - and you can probably switch one or two of them once), also ruining the replayability.

All in all - it's decent, but it's not anywhere near as good as the first one.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah what they said. It's good, but not nearly as good as Deus Ex. Plus, the story isn't as good either. The first one was far more open-ended (if you play it right). The first one was more fun and challenging IMO as well. It's worth the $10, but not the full price I paid when it came out
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Darryl is a man after my own heart (I have all 3 of the mentioned games: Riddick, Transformers and DE2)!

I have so far found both Riddick and Deus Ex: Invisible War to be about the same as far as their goodness. I would play Riddick first as it's a bit more linear, and then DEIW will seem a little more open ended afterward. I got about halfway throught Deus Ex before switching to Riddick a few days ago, and I felt a little limited by the game (while both are linear, Riddick is clearly moreso than DEIW). I would start Riddick first (it's also shorter) and them move to Deus Ex so as not to feel cramped by it. Both are truly excellent games though and you should enjoy both.

About Transformers...it's a pretty good game, but it just seems like it wouldn't be all that great were it not tied to a very interesting franchise. That said, I enjoy playing that one too.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been wanting to play this game but every other forum I've been on except this one has heaped MOUNDS of shit all over the game. Perhaps I'll grab it and finally try it out.