Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of CastleVania Chronicles as of now, Insane or Ok?

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Price of CastleVania Chronicles as of now, Insane or Ok?

I knew Chronicles was limited during it's release so Konami claims...but $50? Is this going to be another "Dracula X" scenario again?

I sure love Konami...but I always described their best work like a ghost at such times like these, "When the moon is full, a game will descend, and only after the horde is released unto the people...they vanish"

Same probably with CastleVania: Harmony of Dissonance for GBA...why? We can find COTM and AOS easily...but HOD? good grief...

Note: On second thought, it could be Ebay's prices that most people are using to judge on.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

From what I heard only 30,000 copies of Castlevania Chronicles were printed for the States.

I got the game from Amazon used last year for $30, which I considered a fair price.

GREAT game, BTW. I loved the music so much I bought the soundtrack. And some nice hard gameplay.

Now, the Castlevania GBA games? Some of those are rare? I bought them all full price when they first came out and still have them.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    From what I heard only 30,000 copies of Castlevania Chronicles were printed for the States.

I got the game from Amazon used last year for $30, which I considered a fair price.

GREAT game, BTW. I loved the music so much I bought the soundtrack. And some nice hard gameplay.

Now, the Castlevania GBA games? Some of those are rare? I bought them all full price when they first came out and still have them.
    oh yeah I love Chronicles, here's a nice trick I learned...before you start the game (Arranged or Original) Hold down L1 and R1..press start....and you can change the sound syth easily with a hidden menu before the game begins...giving you three choices of soundtrack remixes.

but the only GBA CastleVania that seems to be worth alot is Harmony..no clue why...I bought them for the same price as you..but the price is insane now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    oh yeah I love Chronicles, here's a nice trick I learned...before you start the game (Arranged or Original) Hold down L1 and R1..press start....and you can change the sound syth easily with a hidden menu before the game begins...giving you three choices of soundtrack remixes.
    Cool tip, I did not know that. I love Chronicles as well, and got it as a gift when it came out. I had no idea it was so hard to find! (I'll have to put mine in the safe! )
    SO not the Drama.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it for $20.00 when it was first released. I figured with the cheap price tag and the fact that it might be hard to get later I might as well get it now.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I got mine a few months ago for $20 + $4 for shipping. I'm aware of how it's been going up and up on eBay, so I snatched it up for that price. I wish I had been smart enough to just buy it brand new when it came out, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about it now. The copy I got was perfect, so it's in no worse condition than had I bought it new.

HoD is going up, eh? I don't like the game much, but since I love the Castlevania series, I should get it just for completion. I probably should have got it from the same guy who sold me Chronicles. He was selling a bunch of CV games, and he only wanted $15 for each GBA game complete and perfect. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't realize HoD was becoming more expensive.... thanks for the warning. Guess I'd better hurry up and buy it.

I didn't buy HoD new because I thought, since it was a Castlevania game, it would be pretty easy to find later on at a good price. Luckily I knew about Chronicles' low print run so I picked it up for $20 new.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Maybe they didn't put HoD through a second print run or anything because it got mediocre reviews? It seems like they sacrificed some aural quality for a few visual perks (i.e. - the blue trailing silhouettes and stuff). The melody is good but the music quality sounded like something from some old 8-bit Sound Blaster.

It was a decent game and I like it...the battle mode where you can play as the Belmont from CV3 (Richter?) for the NES was cool. Not sure it's worth the $45 I've seen it go for though.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Maybe they didn't put HoD through a second print run or anything because it got mediocre reviews? It seems like they sacrificed some aural quality for a few visual perks (i.e. - the blue trailing silhouettes and stuff). The melody is good but the music quality sounded like something from some old 8-bit Sound Blaster.

It was a decent game and I like it...the battle mode where you can play as the Belmont from CV3 (Richter?) for the NES was cool. Not sure it's worth the $45 I've seen it go for though.
    Actually that was Simon Belmont from CV1 who was in the HOD via the boss battle mode code...which we all know as "The Konami Code" to access him.

CV3 was Trevor Belmont.

Update: If you notice on Ebay alot of Hong Kong boots of HOD that are really cheap...stay away from them, the fact is the save battery on each of those games are defective

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default x

I bought it for $20.00 when it was first released. I figured with the cheap price tag and the fact that it might be hard to get later I might as well get it now.
    Same here...I think I payed 15 or 20 bucks for it. I knew there was a low production run, so I made sure to snatch that up.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Price of CastleVania Chronicles as of now, Insane or Ok?

If you're finding a sealed Chronicles @ $50, it's a great deal. The game wasn't published in great quanity and has a lot of appeal, especially if you suck and don't own an x68000

Really though - I've read somewhere in the neighborhood of 20K copies were made, and CV is a much more popular franchise than that. It won't be another Rondo, but maybe 3/5 of an SotN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Price of CastleVania Chronicles as of now, Insane or Ok?

Jesus, that can't be real: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...124827261&rd=1

Anyhow, HoD was...well, the beginning of the game looks spectacular with the detailed rooms, but after that it quickly goes to hell in a handbasket. Lots of awful tile placement (cemetery) and color schemes that are just bad (Luminous Caverns, which also have the worst Castlevania song ever, approximately). It has a lot of stuff that kicks ass, too, but it would've been nice if it had been consistent. Probably this all has something to do with the fact it was originally planned (and possibly being developed for?) the PS2. Who says Igarashi is a sellout to 3D? :D (Still hate the man though ;)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both Aria and Harmony are getting expensive, although Harmony much more so. I also agree that Harmony sucked, and I am also glad that I got my copy of Chronicles for $20. The game rocks.

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    Update: If you notice on Ebay alot of Hong Kong boots of HOD that are really cheap...stay away from them, the fact is the save battery on each of those games are defective
    I got a HoD pirate with a perfectly fine working battery. Although, mine was made back when HoD was brand new, so perhaps they're made differently now.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's crazy...I picked up mine at a nearby shitty little game store for 15 bucks. Glad I did that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For all you EB shoppers out there, keep an eye out for used copies there, which seem to be priced pretty low (found a copy there a few months ago for $15 CAD).

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Good thing I got Chronicles for Christmas then. But anyhow, Chronicles is pretty fun. At time sI'll try to get through an area in the normal mode, then got through it in Arranged once I have an idea how to get through. I think in both I'm up to Stage 4.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arranged is the easier mode than the Original, wouldn't you do it the other way around?

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm...i'm seeing bins for $30 on chronicles...i can see the worry tho, as the game is great (i think it stomps castlevania IV personnally)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it for $10 complete and mint. But It's a great game, so If I had to I'd pay $50 for it.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."