Thread: Video Game Collector Mag

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game Collector Mag

Hi everyone,

Has anyone purchased a copy of this mag? I can't seem to find it at a local store, and I'm leery of ordering a subscription after Manci Games folded.

Is there a fair amount of reviews and stories? Or is it mostly price guide. I'll admit, I'm not too interested in the price guide.

Does anyone have any sample pages that they can scan here? I can't see a preview of the mag on their website.

Any insight to this mag would be appreciated. I'm been dying for a retro mag since Manci folded. By the way, anyone think they will give it another shot????

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any URL for this?

Interested but with last few magazines perished like dot-bomb startups, no subscription, I'll only consider issue by issue basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yes

Here ya go...

http://www.vgcollector.com/index.htm

I got a copy, and I must say I am very impressed with the quality. It has some interesting articles and short bits up front, with a comprehensive price guide in the back (no rarity ratings, though.)

I felt the majority of the guide was very accurate. I'd disagree with a few of the prices for newer games and the PSone section has a few errors, but its all subjective and the PSone is still such a new system that I'm surprised they got as close as they did. And this is issue #1! I recommend this thing highly. I'll post a scan later today.

Cheers

Fish Sanwich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who puts the mag out? Can somebody give a listing of the staff? Thanks!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Who puts the mag out? Can somebody give a listing of the staff? Thanks!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I'm the EiC of VGC, and our first-issue contributors include Joe Santulli, Albert Yarusso, Leonard Herman, Walter Day, Adrienne Barr, Tom Zjaba, John Dedeke, and Geoffrey Miller.

VGC is sponsoring this year's CGE auction (all proceeds from VGC-donated items go to the Special Olympics), and also has a booth where attendees can meet the publisher and learn more about the magazine.

-- Z.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Instant Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I'm the EiC of VGC, and our first-issue contributors include Joe Santulli, Albert Yarusso, Leonard Herman, Walter Day, Adrienne Barr, Tom Zjaba, John Dedeke, and Geoffrey Miller.
    Congratulations, that paragraph alone has garnered you a subscriber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VGC is sponsoring this year's CGE auction (all proceeds from VGC-donated items go to the Special Olympics), and also has a booth where attendees can meet the publisher and learn more about the magazine.

-- Z.
    Way cool, That's quite a line up of respectable fellows. Would one have to order the mag online or are there chains that carry it?

Also, what's the mag about? What are the goals of the mag? I wish you luck, hopefully the mag will last longer then Gamego and Manci.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-- Z.
    Way cool, That's quite a line up of respectable fellows. Would one have to order the mag online or are there chains that carry it?

Also, what's the mag about? What are the goals of the mag? I wish you luck, hopefully the mag will last longer then Gamego and Manci.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    VGC isn't yet available in any major retail chains, but it's distributed nationwide to independent outlets via Diamond, and we have several other deals in the works. Also, Good Deal Games sells individual issues through its website.

What's it about? Video game collecting and classic gaming. What are the goals? To entertain (via the irreverent editorial voice) and educate (via the newbie-collector articles and DP-powered price guide).

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-- Z.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    We had many of the same contributors, so VGC should be quality.

I highly encourage anyone interested in seeing a retro mag succeed to subscribe. If everyone waits around to "see if it will last," odds are that it probably won't. As Ahnold would say: "Subscribe! Dooh it! Dooh it noowww!"
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, I might have to check this magazine out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VGC isn't yet available in any major retail chains, but it's distributed nationwide to independent outlets via Diamond, and we have several other deals in the works. Also, Good Deal Games sells individual issues through its website.

What's it about? Video game collecting and classic gaming. What are the goals? To entertain (via the irreverent editorial voice) and educate (via the newbie-collector articles and DP-powered price guide).

-- Z.
    Could you point me in the right direction to an indie outlet in the tri-state area? Also, what's your definition of classic? I love Sega Genesis. I love SNES. Are they considered classic now? What i'm asking is, what is the cut off?

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-- Z.
    Could you point me in the right direction to an indie outlet in the tri-state area? Also, what's your definition of classic? I love Sega Genesis. I love SNES. Are they considered classic now? What i'm asking is, what is the cut off?

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I'll have to get back to you on indie outlets in the tri-state area, as the publisher handles the bid-ness aspects of the magazine (including distribution), while I focus on the editorial.

VGC's definition of "classic" is the same as Joe Santulli's: "It doesn't have to be 'old' to be classic." We reviewed everything from 2600 to PS1 in the first issue, and we're reviewing everything from Astrocade to PS2 in the second issue (which kinda-sorta has a Genesis theme).

With modern titles, the focus is on old-school roots: for example, issue #2's reviews of River City Ransom EX and Midway Arcade Treasures 2. With older titles, the focus is on collectibility: for example, issue #1's reviews of Beyond Shadowgate, Keio Flying Squadron, and Pirates! Gold.

-- Z.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Wow, impressive list of contributers! I'm sold to try an issue out now!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen a copy of it a buddy has, and it is very nice, and on swanky stock too.

I hope to have an article in it at some time soon.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sold
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...ighlight=bri79 (+6) [url]http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=bnsor[url]
    (+344)
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=16060 (+65)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VGC's definition of "classic" is the same as Joe Santulli's: "It doesn't have to be 'old' to be classic."
    That's a tautological definition. It just describes the wide array of potential games covered/considered.

If it doesn't have to be old to be classic, it's still not clear what 'classic' means except that it is not limited to a certain age.

The definition is an intended try to avoid a narrow definition of 'classic' without defining it.

For a 'retro'-game magazine or a collectors mag, someone actually should try to clarify in an article what a 'classic game' is or what 'classic gaming' means. Difficult, very difficult, but can be done.

I wish the mag the best, there is certainly a potential market there. It will be successful if mistakes of layout and coverage are avoided.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, I'll have to check it out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen a copy of it a buddy has, and it is very nice, and on swanky stock too.

I hope to have an article in it at some time soon.
    You'll be gracing the pages of VGC soon enough, my friend. :)

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is this availible for the uk?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really want this mag....how does a guy in Canada go about ordering?
    Avenger Out

DC Underground