Thread: Couple of rarity questions regarding Madden NFL 2005 and MK

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Couple of rarity questions regarding Madden NFL 2005 and MK

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to these questions, but I'd take an "educated" guess. Firstly, I was digging through the hundreds of copies of Madden 2005 I got the other day (at the store I work at) and I noticed several of them had a weird ink issue - basically it looked like the word "Madden" had been "ghosted" on the bottom of the spine, so, basically it said Madden 2005 and then it had it again very faintly. I know misprints of stamps have a high value, I was just wondering whether misprinted game covers have a high value. In the case of this, I don't think it would be major enough even if misprinted covers were more valuable - but in general, are they? I mean, I doubt a run of Final Fantasy XII would ever make it by quality control saying, "Fnal Fantasy XII" or something... but if it did? Are there any known cases of this?

Second. Does anyone have any idea whether the new limited editions of Mortal Kombat: Deception will increase in value or whether they're likely to be "fools gold" like the "limited edition" golden N64 cartridges for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - which are so easy to find you can still trip over stacks of them. For anyone who doesn't know - they're releasing MK: Deception for Xbox with four different "Kollector" covers and I think the PS2 version has the same (or maybe just one collector's edition). I'm a big MK fan, so I'm not just out to snap these up in droves so I can post them on Ebay in a couple of years. That said, I really don't *have* the money to spend say $200 on one game if I could pick them up in a few years - I don't want to miss my chance and have to pay $100 each.

Phew, that was long.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

That print error was most likely just one where they were producing so many inserts that the machine just gummed up and ghosted the thing. When dealing with printing errors were more concerned (At least as a PS collector) with true variants (take a look at the stuff in the link in my sig for the Variants that were talking about). It wont be worth any more at all.

Now with the new MK game. Last one that they tried to go and do a big limited edition release for the thing, was RoboTech, with the dogtag and shirt and soundtrack. It sold expenisve at first, but now I can find those things (still sealed) for like 5 bucks. Mortal Kombat will probably go the same route BUT it there is a hard to find cover, then that will warrant more. I dont think that you'll be able to go and turn that game on eBay in a few years for all that much. Its just to popular and well known a title to be produced in "Rare" quantities. The new stuff that goes for money on eBay is almost allways stuff that has a very limited print run (Rez, Diseaga ect)
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey thanks a lot for the great response, PapaStu. I'd be guessing you're right. I think I'll just play it by ear, see whether they say how many copies of these "limited" editions are run. If it sounds high I'm bound to stumble across one soon enough. I mean I'll buy one at launch, but I don't want to buy all four - unless I have to - which I am still hoping I don't.

As for the Madden cover, well, I figured as much - but didn't want to run across some post here by someone saying, "Anyone ever find one of those ultra rare Madden misprints?" and then feel like killing myself for letting it slip by. Nice site, BTW - the devotion and diversity of some of the collections here is truly humbling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

What you have with Madden is a "printing error" the ones shown on that web site are considered variations. Usually a slight error like that is considered less collectable as it detracts from the overall appearance.

I have a few sealed games where certain colors of ink were not used at all. For example I have a Max Payne which cover is completely white. And I have a MGS for PS1 where the only printing on the cover is the Greatest Hits going down the left side. Whenever I see ones like these I put them aside as they may have some interest down the road. The more noticable it is the greater the chance someone else will find it interesting.