Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any SNES games run perfect on Dreamcast?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any SNES games run perfect on Dreamcast?

I recently acquired a disk that allows me to play SNES games on my Dreamcast. Pretty sweet.

However, most games don't seem to run good.

I'm curious, do any of the SNES games run perfectly on the Dreamcast?

Or is the idea of playing SNES games on a Dreamcast more of a, "Gee whiz, check it out you can play SNES on Dreamcast, but none of the games really play good".

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez, I'm checking my DC out but I can't find the SNES cartridge slot in it...

Seriously, I never cared for that stuff. If I want to play a Super Nintendo game, I'll play it on an actual SNES console. Call me funny that way

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Default Re: Any SNES games run perfect on Dreamcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I'm curious, do any of the SNES games run perfectly on the Dreamcast?.
    No.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    Geez, I'm checking my DC out but I can't find the SNES cartridge slot in it...

Seriously, I never cared for that stuff. If I want to play a Super Nintendo game, I'll play it on an actual SNES console. Call me funny that way

I Play SNES games on the "actual" real system all the time. Although, I must say that if the SNES wasn't capable of a RGB signal, I would probably be cool with playing the emulator on the XBOX and not even need the physical system.

But because no emulator can compare with a pure, real RGB signal, systems that feature RGB, will always have a permanent home in my house.

But getting back to the topic at hand, I just think it's cool that you can actually play SNES games on the Dreamcast.

However I don't understand why they would go to such trouble and effort if none of the games run properly. There must be a few SNES games that run fine on the DC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I Play SNES games on the "actual" real system all the time. Although, I must say that if the SNES wasn't capable of a RGB signal, I would probably be cool with playing the emulator on the XBOX and not even need the physical system.
    Excuse me for finding the comment "not need the physical system" lumped in the same breath with mention of that bomb shelter-sized game system to be pretty funny.

Here we go again...yet another "GRAFIX RUELZ" post. I actually can't sympathize with the quest for better graphics - I've tried SNES games on my PC, and I've tried them on a real TV, and for my money they look just as good the way they were supposed to as they do when rendered as collections of bright squares conforming to Greek forms. Yeah, I thought the sharper graphics in Metroid: Zero Mission when moving my GC from A/V to S-Video were great, but past that point it would feel pretty wrong to have sharper graphics for the system. Atari VCS, though, I could understand wanting to have pixel-perfect graphics for.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never play snes games on your dreamcast. It's one of the most horrible modes of snes emulation I've ever witnessed.

Just mod an xbox and copy all of them to the hard drive and play them at near perfect emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

However I don't understand why they would go to such trouble and effort if none of the games run properly.
    Because there was a point in time (i.e. 3-4 years ago) when the Dreamcast introduced us to emulation on a commercial console and we were all excited about it. It had several great emus such as the NES, GBC, Atari 8bit, and SMS.. so it's only natural for some to try other consoles. So it doesn't run perfectly... so what. That doesn't stop people from attempting to emulate tg-16 & the SNES on the GBA does it? It's a hobbyist thing. If you want good snes emulation you already got your xbox and your pc, and in the future whatever hardware platform the hobbyists out there decide to port emus to.

But then again.. it is kind of late to the party to be even chatting about dc snes emus. Maybe check my posts on it from 2000 :P

There must be a few SNES games that run fine on the DC.
    Nope.. not really. Last I checked they were all pretty slow.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

So... what is it about SNES games that makes it difficult to run them on a Dreamcast? Or does the emulator just suck?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    So... what is it about SNES games that makes it difficult to run them on a Dreamcast? Or does the emulator just suck?
    Dreamcast doesn't have the power to run them well, I would say. SNES actually requires some work. You also have to run the images off the cd, but the emulator's menu and everything looks pretty cool until you play a game. Super Mario World just LAGS.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dreamcast is not really a machine for emulating, it doesn't have much power.

Hell it can't even run metal slug 1! and metal slug one can run on a 500mhz 98 box.

It's just segas shit hardware again.....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_EniGma

Hell it can't even run metal slug 1! and metal slug one can run on a 500mhz 98 box.

The DC is only 200mhz and can still pump out graphics like Soul Caliber, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue...etc but it's shit hardware because it can't run something it wasn't meant to run in the first place? Good logic.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*SLAP!*
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kids.....calling sega shit, wouldnt know good hardware if it slapped him in the face.
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So... Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft fanboy?

The SNES is a complicated machine, unlike the straight-forward Genesis. It has hardware scaling and rotation. It took some time before anyone could get the best out of the SNES... remember all the slowdown in the first few generations of games? Maybe you don't... you're 12 years old. This doesn't take into account all the chips that were put into various carts... SuperFX, SuperFX2, SA-1, DSP1, DSP2, C4, SDD1... the working of these chips has to be emulated, too.

Dreamcast Bleem! can emulate a Playstation. I'd be willing to bet that Dreamcast SNES emulation would have been close to perfect had the console lasted longer, and it still might be a possibility.

Now, lets see that X-Box emulate a Saturn...

Fish Sandwich

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think allsport put it best though. Just because the DC is newer and more powerfull than the SNES doesnt mean it can emulate it, there 2 different types of machines. Once again the DC wasn't MADE having emulation of the SNES in mind.
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Sega and shit should NEVER be in the same sentence. Shame on you!

I enjoy emulation on the DC for the simple fact that it CAN be done. Sure, it's not perfect, but what other console (other than maybe Xbox) is so versatile? Sega was way ahead of their time with the DC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that SNES emulation on the Dreamcast is pretty worthless at the moment. Given the Dreamcast's inability to properly emulate the SNES (at the moment), I find it a little strange that some people are working to emulate Neo Geo hardware on it.

Even so, the Dreamcast can emulate NES, Game Boy Color, Master System, Genesis, and a few other systems quite well. For SNES emulation, I'd go with a modded Xbox or just use a PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
    I think that SNES emulation on the Dreamcast is pretty worthless at the moment. Given the Dreamcast's inability to properly emulate the SNES (at the moment), I find it a little strange that some people are working to emulate Neo Geo hardware on it.

Even so, the Dreamcast can emulate NES, Game Boy Color, Master System, Genesis, and a few other systems quite well. For SNES emulation, I'd go with a modded Xbox or just use a PC.
    I've always considered the Neo-Geo a souped-up Genesis with humongous carts. They use basically the same processor. Check Neo-Geo.com... there's already decent emulation for the Neo-Geo CD on the Dreamcast. I suppose the Neo cart system's biggest hurdle for the Dreamcast is the size of the carts. It's the RAM baby!

Plus, the SNES can do some things the N-G can't do, or at least do them a lot better. Better scaling & rotation, some neat-o special effects, polygon manipulation, etc.

Cheers

Fish Sandwich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried the Neo Geo CD emulation. It was very slow, didn't have any sound effects, and had various other compatibility issues. Current SNES emulation on the Dreamcast is much better in comparison.