Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Play Messiah's LE Wireless NES controllers

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Messiah does not need to make a wireless 3DO controller because you could just use their 2.4Ghz wireless SNES controller with a SNES to 3DO controller adapter:
    http://www.gameexpress.com/product_d...=3192568335179

I bought 4, as they are only $7, they are hard to find, and for fighting games like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, 3DO controllers really suck and SNES controllers really kick ass!

I think Messiah will make a killing with a complete Atari 2600 line. First off, the Atari community is very strong and active, second the cords for standard 2600 joysticks and paddles are extremely short (wireless obviously solves that), and Messiah could do a completely faithful wireless clone of the 2600 joystick and paddles because Atari didn't patent the shape like Nintendo did with their NES/SNES D-pad.

On the topic of the D-pad... I am very picky about D-pads. The official SNES controllers have the best D-pad in my opinion. Its easy to hit diagonals (unlike the Playstation controllers), and it is also easy to do pure left, right, up, and down motions too... something that newer controllers such as the XBOX controller seem to be bad at.

I ordered one SNES controller. If its good, then I will order 3 more. I am perfectly ok with Messiah delaying shipping so as to fix problems... just as long as it ships in a reasonable time, like end of September.

It really takes dedication to make new products for retro game systems. So we all need to step up to the plate and support Messiah.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

those look really cool. I will love to pick one up... someday. No money for it now.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Could a picture be taken of the new controller next to an original one for size comparisons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they look great!!!! id love to own some of them!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really, really like the idea, but I too worry about the D-pad. I onceowned a NES MAX and my memories of it are not fond ones. This D-PAD claims to have 360 Degrees of movement. Thats great if you are talking about a replacement for the 5200 joystick or any of the modern controllers with analog thumbsticks, but a NES and a SNES pad only have 8 directions. (I assume this is being chopped up into 45 degree segements.)

A tight D-pad is necessary for many NES games. The Legend of Zelda (and Spartropics 1+2) is practically unplayable with anything less precise or smaller than a NES or SNES D-pad. I tried to use a classic Microsoft Sidewinder game pad in that game and it was no fun. Contra and Super C also require a tight D-pad. When I need to duck, I must hit down infalliably. If I hit down+right I will not duck and likely be killed. A design that allows a transplant of a NES or SNES D-pad into the unit would be truly appreciated and would not likely infringe on Nintendo's dying patent rights.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant
    I really, really like the idea, but I too worry about the D-pad. I onceowned a NES MAX and my memories of it are not fond ones. This D-PAD claims to have 360 Degrees of movement. Thats great if you are talking about a replacement for the 5200 joystick or any of the modern controllers with analog thumbsticks, but a NES and a SNES pad only have 8 directions. (I assume this is being chopped up into 45 degree segements.)

A tight D-pad is necessary for many NES games. The Legend of Zelda (and Spartropics 1+2) is practically unplayable with anything less precise or smaller than a NES or SNES D-pad. I tried to use a classic Microsoft Sidewinder game pad in that game and it was no fun. Contra and Super C also require a tight D-pad. When I need to duck, I must hit down infalliably. If I hit down+right I will not duck and likely be killed. A design that allows a transplant of a NES or SNES D-pad into the unit would be truly appreciated and would not likely infringe on Nintendo's dying patent rights.
    Nintendo's patents would still cover it. Another idea would be to do what Messiah is doing now, but subdivide the D-pad's circle such that the up, down, left, and right slices of the D-pad are larger than the diagonals... making it easier to hit the pure directions.

The same is true for Super Mario Bros games on the NES. Diagonal down positions do not result in a crouch. Hence the game is nearly unplayable with anything other than a Nintendo D-pad.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    Could a picture be taken of the new controller next to an original one for size comparisons?
    Below is a side by side picture.

The SNES controller is almost the same size but it is thicker due to the batteries.

The NES is the same size as SNES sot the buttons are spaced a little farther apart than the original.

2.4 GHz Wireless NES Controller
    2.4 GHz Wireless SNES Controller

Don't forget to checkout www.playmessiah.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superstonic
    Does each controller have its own unique 'frequency'? In other words, if you have a few dozen controllers going at once (in a set up like the CGE game stations), is there any potential for signals to get crossed?
    The Prototypes we used at CGE had 3 unique channels for NES and 3 for SNES. This means only 3 of each can be used at the same time. We are planning on the final versions having 4 unique channels so they can be used with 4 player games.

So to answer your question the signals can interfere if you are using more than 4 NES and 4 SNES at the same time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant

Yes... the Messiah D-pad is only 8 directions and is divided into 45 degree segments. I guess the best way to think about it is not as a NES MAX but like an arcade stick from your favorite arcade center.

The D-pad is a miniturized version of an arcade stick still with 8 directions. The only difference between Messiah’s D-pad and an arcade stick is the fact that we removed the stick and added a rotating disc because you will need to opperate the d-pad with your thumb. So just like the arcade stick rotates around a shaft, so does the thumb disc on our D-pad.

I am not expaining well... sorry everyone. I will dig around later and see if I have a sketch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Even though these won't be for sale at OKGE, can I borrow the SNES ones for a few minutes at my table?

These look very cool. Will you accept credit card pre-orders at OKGE?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Even though these won't be for sale at OKGE, can I borrow the SNES ones for a few minutes at my table?

These look very cool. Will you accept credit card pre-orders at OKGE?
    Sure thing... We will have a PC online at the OKGE and can take Credit Card, PayPal, or cash.

Stop by and see Carrie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar
    I will say that Tecmo Super Bowl rocks with the extra sensitivity and easier diagonals.
    That is all that I needed to hear I will be ordering as soon as I'm done typing. I think a company like this really needs to be supported because I don't think anyone else is wiling to take a chance like this on the classic gaming comunity yet.

I know the Turbo Grafx comunity is probably smaller than others but they need the wireless controller more than anyone else. I can't sit 2ft in front of my TV anymore. Please TG-16 controller next please.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar
    I will say that Tecmo Super Bowl rocks with the extra sensitivity and easier diagonals.
    That is all that I needed to hear I will be ordering as soon as I'm done typing. I think a company like this really needs to be supported because I don't think anyone else is wiling to take a chance like this on the classic gaming comunity yet.

I know the Turbo Grafx comunity is probably smaller than others but they need the wireless controller more than anyone else. I can't sit 2ft in front of my TV anymore. Please TG-16 controller next please.
    I used to have a TG-16. Bought one when it was first released. It had rediculously short controller cables! At least with the Atari 2600 you had a long power cable and a long AV cable to compensate for the ultra short controller cable.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playmessiah
    The Prototypes we used at CGE had 3 unique channels for NES and 3 for SNES. This means only 3 of each can be used at the same time. We are planning on the final versions having 4 unique channels so they can be used with 4 player games.
    This is extremely important for me. Some of my favorite SNES games are 4 player games. The "Super Bomberman" series on the SNES are great 4-player games. Does anybody else have their own favorite 4-player SNES game?

Its also a good idea for Messiah to be able to support 4 controllers at a time, because people that enjoy these types of games are the ones that truely need wireless controllers. 4 people, 4 controllers, and 4 wires tangled up is a real pain... not to mention everyone being tied close together... one person jerks their controller and the entire system goes flying.

I really want to see 4 wireless paddles side-by-side for the 2600. Can you say Warlords parties?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, these are staring to look perfect for use with a SNES -> USB adapter for use on a cab... some games just peel better with a gamepad. Anybody tried them out with one of these on a PC yet?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any updates on these? The site still said ships 9-20. Just curious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nesuser2
    I got an e-mail from Brad this week saying he was in Hong Kong overseeing production, and that my pre-order should ship out in early October.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a chance to use the controllers at the East Coast Gaming Expo. I thought they worked pretty well.

My only concern, and it isn't really a big deal for me is, how many people still play SNES and NES? After having both systems hooked up for years I put mine away in favor of emulation. I know SNES and NES sold boatloads in America, but again, how many people still play enough to pick up these neato controllers?

I wish Messiah luck. How about some wireless Saturn controllers next? Oh yeah, I forgot, you want to make money! Ha!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Quote Originally Posted by nesuser2
    I got an e-mail from Brad this week saying he was in Hong Kong overseeing production, and that my pre-order should ship out in early October.
    I wonder why I didn't get an email from him. Did you email him first?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sounds like Mr. Flack knows this person on more of a first name basis so we may be a little behind on the info, maybe hear something next week or so. Anyways, I'm just siked to get them....but school just started so it won't be long til i get mine!!