Thread: [Xavix] Anyone know the details on this system?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default [Xavix] Anyone know the details on this system?

There are TV advertisements on US TV right now for some game system that has a bowling game and a baseball game with specialized controllers. The advertisements show a guy in a bowling alley or on a baseball field and playing the game while hearing a family member call to them and then realizing that they are actually playing in front of a tv and either swinging a plastic baseball bat controller or a plastic bowling ball controller. I went to look online for infor on this system since the video game collector in me is saying that this will be a weird/rare system in a few years that would be neat to own. (I love weird controllers.) Has anyone here bought one?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

We had a thread on this not long ago. They have them at Best Buy. It's way too expensive. I tried one yeasterday and walked away rather unimpressed. $80 for the console and $50 for a game is too high considering you can get a GBA and a couple of games for the same price.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK. I think I'll wait until they clear them out in a few months then.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know the name of the system?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's called Xavix... I played it (the tennis game) at Best Buy for like 5-10 minutes. It was kinda silly (I'm sure I looked even sillier than I felt) but is was pretty fun. Easy learning curve not intimidating. I see this as having the sort of broad base appeal as something like DDR had, it's very intuitive, not very deep but pretty fun; especially for a party or something. But I havn't seen a single add for it nor met a single person who was aware that it existed, whoever is doing their marketing sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They would be cool games (and rare in the future) if they worked on a current mainstream system. If they worked for the PS2 NGC or XBox like the excercise system that worked on the Genisis platform, then they would be cool. As it is the commercials look stupid and the only place to get them seems like Best Buy. I agree the people marketing this system suck.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

Sounds similar to these two oddball games I got at the flea market this weekend. One was a soccer game with two velcro ankle straps for kicking or something. It was basically an all-in one unit with SNES or Genesis quality graphics. The other was a snowboarding game that was very similar (came with a special snowboard controller). Both were made by Radica....strange devices indeed.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's it.

Their website can be found here: http://www.xavix.com/main.htm

Interesting. Should be worth picking up sometime. It only has three games so far: Tennis, Bowling and Baseball. Not much of a launch for a game machine, but I guess they are hoping the "unique-ness" of the system will make up for that.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Believe it or not...the Best Buy I went to Monday was selling the heck out of these things! I played it for a minute, graphically it reminded me of Genesis quality...the bowling game was quite fun.

I will probably buy one once they restock (systems sold out while I was standing there playing...)
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny you mention Radica... IIRC, the Radica "Play TV" games say "Powered by Xavix technology" on the boxes. Sounds like Xavix is not content to let others license their stuff and are selling directly now. I imagine each cart game is identical to the Radica units.

I haven't seen the Xavix thing yet, and don't have time to check the site right now, so I can't comment for sure...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so i was looking into this after finding out about it from qvc.com (i was trying to find the game joystick things just to look at). they sell it retail on qvc. i also checked ebay and the ones there sell for retail as well. just to have a strange, unique system, i plan on buying this when the price drops (don't be mad, i bought a game.com)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very interesting, to say the least. I'll have to stop by Best Buy sometime and try it out.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A lot of those Radica units seem to have their technology sold to other companies. I remember seeing on www.daidaixing.com (makers of the Gameking portable) a lot of units like this...those stand-alone interactive controller games like the ones I mentioned in the post above from some months back. There might have even been some cartridge-based units like the Xavix. Their site is too slow for me right now, so I can't really give exact links...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Big bump there. Can you still get these anywhere, I totally forget about it untill I saw this tread, and were any other games ever released for it?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Anyone here have one of these?

I can say they're still fully supporting it. I just received a review unit. A fishing game recently came out, and they have an entire line of fitness games for it. They actually have programs and such based entirely around the tech.

Anyway, the main reason for the bump is that I'm having a hell of a time with this thing. I can't get it to pick up half the things I'm doing. I have baseball and bowling.

In bowling, it can't pick up where I'm standing. The ball flickers around the screen rapidly and if I throw, it may pick it up one out of three times. For baseball, it has no issues during the practice swing or during the menus but when it actually comes time to swing, forget it.

I've tried some different lighting conditions and I'm going to try an entirely different room today. I've moved the console to different heights and placement. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Old thread here. I've played Xavix before. Terrible system. They could've made this 15 years ago. With Wii's sensor technology putting this crude contraption to shame, I don't see why they'd still support it, but I guess if people keeping buying it, might as well keep selling it.

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Anyone here have one of these?

I can say they're still fully supporting it. I just received a review unit. A fishing game recently came out, and they have an entire line of fitness games for it. They actually have programs and such based entirely around the tech.

Anyway, the main reason for the bump is that I'm having a hell of a time with this thing. I can't get it to pick up half the things I'm doing. I have baseball and bowling.

In bowling, it can't pick up where I'm standing. The ball flickers around the screen rapidly and if I throw, it may pick it up one out of three times. For baseball, it has no issues during the practice swing or during the menus but when it actually comes time to swing, forget it.

I've tried some different lighting conditions and I'm going to try an entirely different room today. I've moved the console to different heights and placement. Any other suggestions?

I've owned this thing before with all the games. It worked very well for me. You have to be sure you have the right height and distance where the console had to sit. Just check in your instruction manual for the right distance. Its what I had to do and it worked great for me. Bowling was fun as hell with a room full of people.

Xavix wont last now that the Wii is out and about though.......not like anyone thought it would last anyways
    Drummers do it with rythym