Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many people think using save state is cheating?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default how many people think using save state is cheating?

im kinda curious as to everybodys opinion. with roms i always end up using it way too much . with alot of nes games though you cant beat them without save state (smash tv for example. )

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a bad habit of doing that with GBA games.

I'll just be playing and kind of without even thinking about it, hit shift+F1. Granted most of the time I don't use the save, but it's just that I previously used them way too often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: how many people think using save state is cheating?

It mostly makes certain games more/less annoying. Take Starflight, for example - I always save a state right before I scan for minerals when taking my ATV around a planet, and then load, going to the spot on the screen via short-term memory. It allows me to pick up more stuff at once, but savestates (in general) compel me to play with "just that one extra..." mindset, where I have to try something until I do it as perfectly as possible. It'd be nice if more games had better difficulty levels.

On the plus side, it's let me complete and fully explore some extremely difficult games that I like, but not enough to spend months perfecting, titles like Akumajo Dracula on the x68K and Super Ghosts 'n Goblins. I first beat Super Metroid via emulation, ~7 years after I first played the demo; and avoided many unnecessary random battles in Phantasy Star IV which I never got around to beating, and so I might yet finish PSII and even start PSIII before I take it up again!

Cheating, though? You're only cheating yourself. Unless you're trying to fool people into thinking that Gauntlet II score is the real deal (hoaxing Twin Galaxies, not quite) then you're the only victim of this particular crime.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Game States are a GODSEND, and one of the primary reasons I play older games on emulators. I can't count the number of games I never could finish back 'in the day' but finally finished thanks to the help of Game States. Cheating? No, the game allready did that by not allowing me to finish it properly!
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'Course they're cheating... and what? :P

It certainly makes doing things a lot easier like bowling a 300 in Atari 2600 Bowling, seeing the best ending in Famicom Salamander. Or heck... just finishing Gradius 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd consider it cheating. Beating Contra with only 3 lives is an accomplishment, anyone could do it with save states. But that doesn't mean that it's bad. Games are meant to be enjoyable, if game A is making you mad and you need a little help to make it fun, then what's wrong with that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you mean "cheating" in the sense that you're dishonestly violating the rules of the game, then I would have to say that using save states is cheating. So long as using save states doesn't lead to any dishonesty on your part, I have no problem with it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep. It's cheating. Just like game shark, game geine, etc etc..

It makes the game a lot easier... so of course all of us on my emulation server who get annoyed by games we've had forever and can't beat, or games that annoy us for no reason at all, or games we don't have the time to beat legit, or just because we want to coined it none other than...

CHEAT2WIN

Hey, sometimes you just gotta (Anyone who's gotten to the last boss of Arc The Lad II after getting Choco and had their memory card crap out on them can probably agree...)

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

to me, a save state is cheating if you load it right after you die type of thing. but what about in a game like megaman where you can't save/ no psw feature? if a game has no other form of saving, and you dont feel like beating it in one sitting or you have to go somewhere, then yeah, i will use a savestate

The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbitsThe fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits..
    The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbitsThe fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits..door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.. door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits.The fastest way to get the glowing rabbit star is to choose Yoshi, and then go out the front door of the castle. There are 5 rabbits outside - three by the end of the bridge, one in the moat to the left, and one near the hedge maze on the right. Took me maybe 10 minutes of running in and out to catch all 8 rabbits..

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

without a doubt it is cheating.

My friend was playing battletoads and the part where you must race the rat he must have reloaded about 20 times before he beat it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

yea, it is cheating

i dont like playing games on the PC though (or modded xbox), so i never have to worry about the temptation of save states
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's no doubt at all the save states are cheating, but I use them all the time anyways. Heh. Beating games with save states has also helped me get better at certain games I could never finish as a kid, and beat them legitimately.

Another thing that's great about save states, is that they can be very convinient for saving. Some games like Magic of Scherezade, Faxanadu, and Guardian Legend all have annoying passwords to remember, but with a save state, you can just hit a button and save your progress. No hassle. Its also convinient for long games that developers weren't kind enough to include saves for. (Blaster Master, Solomon's Key.) Yeah I know that's cheating as well, but some people probably don't have the time to constantly start over anymore, so its nice that emus give you that option.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

since the only roms I tend to play that need them are translated roms of japanese RPGs... I occasionally use the save states instead of the regular save feature, if only because it's faster. I don't think there's an RPG that rewards you for saving low so I don't consider it cheating in that case. It may be the only one though.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

to me, a save state is cheating if you load it right after you die type of thing. but what about in a game like megaman where you can't save/ no psw feature? if a game has no other form of saving, and you dont feel like beating it in one sitting or you have to go somewhere, then yeah, i will use a savestate
    Why should they have a password feature or save feature for a game that can be beaten handily in less than an hour? Most of the Bosses go down with only 3 hits with the right weapon.

IN the Atari/NES days, gaming used to be about accomplishments. Now, sadly, it's about experiences. If I want an 'experience', I'll watch a movie.

The thirst for a hearty challenge is one of the reasons I'm a retrogamer.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

It's cheating, but I play mostly RPGs and as Adam pointed out it doesn't make that big of a difference. Hell many games let you save spontaniously anyway. Sometimes I get fed up and abuse it though, like saving every couple of steps to dodge random encounters.

You get jaded after awhile though. I've had to quit using emulators recently because I found I was far to tempted to turn on the frameskip to speed up walking or slower battles. Recently I've stuck to playing the "real deals" but I still use emulation when I need to play an import.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default cheating

the bad thing about dodging random encouters is you dont level up and with old school rpgs it makes it quite difficult to complete. some games you can just keep unpausing or use select. get a cheap third party controller with slow motion on it. i used to do that with ps 2 on genesis.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I think it depends. If you save only because you dont want to play anymore and want to come back to it later, then no i dont think its cheating, but if you are saving and then loading it back up when you die or in some other way taking advantage of it, then its cheating. Like if you were playing SMB, if you beat the game but you use more lives than the three you start with plus however many extras you accumulated, then you cheated. But like the other people said, so what?

If I played pitfall! on an enulator and was able to get a perfect score but i used save states to do it, then OBVIOUSLY that is cheating.

Chris

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Re: cheating

Quote Originally Posted by abadox1943
    the bad thing about dodging random encouters is you dont level up and with old school rpgs it makes it quite difficult to complete.
    I don't normally have that problem. When I play an RPG there are times I feel like "power leveling" and the rest of the time I want to move along at my own pace. During those times a high encounter rate can be nothing but frustrating overkill.

Sure you need to level up, but do you have to run into a battle every four steps?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldRimmer83
    There's no doubt at all the save states are cheating, but I use them all the time anyways. Heh. Beating games with save states has also helped me get better at certain games I could never finish as a kid, and beat them legitimately.

Another thing that's great about save states, is that they can be very convinient for saving. Some games like Magic of Scherezade, Faxanadu, and Guardian Legend all have annoying passwords to remember, but with a save state, you can just hit a button and save your progress. No hassle. Its also convinient for long games that developers weren't kind enough to include saves for. (Blaster Master, Solomon's Key.) Yeah I know that's cheating as well, but some people probably don't have the time to constantly start over anymore, so its nice that emus give you that option.
    I totally agree with Arn. It is definitely cheating, but it comes in handy for some of those longer games. Blaster Master and Solomon's Key were two of the games that came to mind. Golgo 13 is another.
    American NES games left to beat: 3
    Last 3 NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire
    (Updated: 7/21/10)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default Re: cheating

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Sure you need to level up, but do you have to run into a battle every four steps?
    My sentiments exactly. Which is why I used save states to beat Final Fantasy I and Crystalis for the NES. It didn't feel like cheating. The way I looked at it I was just saving time instead of having to wade through a whole mess of effortless random encounters.

On the other hand, when I used save states to beat Super Mario Bros (NES) and Shinobi (MAME) that admittedley felt like I was cheating since there are time and credit conditions as an actual component of those games . Maybe one day I can beat them merely on the basis of my own skill, but not today.