Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default The Unsung Heroes of CGE: THANK YOU

John, Sean and I are still working through some follow-up stuff and for the first time ever are securing the location and date for next year's event (something we typically don't get around to until February!). The bay area is SO huge that we simply need to get the planning started a year in advance to reach the attendance potential in this area. We're really happy with the move and the gigantic Convention Center may have even been a little TOO big for us. 1871 attendees over two days, including 91 aliumni guests, 89 exhibitors, 33 media people and 17 volunteers. As expected, the majority of the attendees were walk-ins. One of the most obvious changes from Vegas to those of us who have been to all of them was that you saw new faces all day long for two days. The Vegas crowd was pretty much the same on Saturday and Sunday - again, an "island" that we needed to leave.

The move went pretty smoothly but it took a monumental effort from a number of dedicated people. I wanted to be sure they are properly recognized for their efforts here. Without this group, things would not have run so smoothly!

This year's MVP has to be Scott "superstonic" Stilphen. Though our arcade area was clearly lacking this year, Scott will be forever remembered for getting the "core" of our future arcade to San Jose. Scott flew into Green Bay to pick up a dozen or so machines that we had purchased, rented a truck and drove to Las Vegas where our remaining machines were located. On his way to San Jose he also picked up a few machines that were on loan from friends. Now THAT's dedication.

Danny "Darth Vader" Kassner has a hand in this - he's the guy from Green Bay that facilitated and negotiated the arcade machine purchases for us. He also assisted Scott with the loading and lent a hand at the convention center before and after the show. Thanks for the help and remember our slogan "the check is in the mail".

Steve "PapaStu" Wilcox was on hand to assist the whole weekend and his local knowledge of the area made getting anything and everyhing very easy, even at the last minute. Your company is as much appreciated as your familiarity with the area, Steve. Thanks again.

Don Rogers is a staple to the CGE staff. Don is one of those energetic and versatile people who can fill just about any gap. He spent the weekend doing everything from running late night excursions to Kinkos to skirting a table to snagging a plate full of egg rolls for the gang in a room. Thanks for another great year, Don.

Jim "digitpress Jim" Combs may be the youngest on this team but he's already got a few years of Expo coordinating under his belt. No matter how hard we try to suck the very life out of him, he seems to have an endless supply of enthusiasm and dedication. Jim, your speech at the end of the floor breakdown was truly inspiring. It reminds some of us of why we got involved in this in the first place.

Kevin "kevates" Staszkow is a local bay area guy who managed a number of show responsibilities in person before the event. He took care of local storage space and has been part of the "Vegas to San Jose" transfer team for several months now. At least you won't be running trucks up and down the coast, Kev! Thanks a bunch.

Larry "retrogmr" Anderson has been a DP guy for quite some time and for the past three years has been our museum architecht. While the actual content is supplied primarily by John, Sean and I with many items on loan from our museum team (listed below), Larry is pretty much locked into the museum for 24 hours prior to the show getting the place in order. Thanks Larry, now you can go back to that OTHER job =)

Our volunteer team this year was simply outstanding. This is a team that has to put not only their brains but their BACKS into the work. Dragging heavy tables from truck to floor, setting up pipe and drape, skirting tables, lugging television sets across the convention floor, and generally sweating out the details for three days were Charles "evg2000" Dysert, Glenn Bruner, Jaime "punkoffgirl" Moreau, Dave "dave2236" Wavrunek, Steve "Chunky", Dave "portnoyd" Warmington, Brad "purenergy" Prillwitz, Nick "drexel923" Milicia, and Dave "Arcade Antics" Giarrusso as well as those listed above. I don't know how to thank you all enough, but we'll find a way.

Jerry "jjessop" Jessop supplied us with the Pong and Computer Space machines, two centerpieces of the arcade. Weak arcade representation or not, you're not going to find these two working and playable very often. Jerry was also instrumental in our scouting of the bay area when we visited back in February. Thanks again for being the alumni who is also a teammate, Jerry.

The museum crew: Chris Romero, Chris Neiman, Rik Morgan, Larry Anderson and Dave Warmington once again proved that there is no such thing as "too much space" and really designed a simple and intuitive layout for the new digs. The museum was a real highlight this year - thanks, fellas!

Our moderating team of Leonard "rolenta" Herman, Chris "cav" Cavanaugh and Chris "kobunheatforum" Kohler provided their knowledge of the alumni guests and bridged the gap between these folks and the audience. This is a job that is not one that just anyone can do, so we really appreciate these guys lending their talents for the keynotes this year.

Finally to the guys who got flyers out around the area: Steve "PapaStu" Wilcox, Marlin Bates and Don "dojosky" Russell. I'm not sure we'll go so all-out on this next year - TV, radio and newspaper advertisement seems to be the ones that this crowd will notice, but you can guarantee we'll be soliciting your help again next summer anyway!

I owe a big thanks to our alumni guests and exhibitors but we'll do that separately and privately with them. It's this team that I wanted to be sure got public recognition for making a large and complex public event seem like second nature. To them, it most likely is.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN and see you at CGE 2005!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank *YOU* Joe for giving me the opportunity to help introduce the alumni. It's always a fun thing to do.

Great show, by the way! Congratulations!

..and yeah...Stilphen was superheroic at the show. That guy was non-stop. Not sure how he was still standing by Sunday night.

Fun party too (although I was a bit late). Frankly I'm surprised that YOU were standing on Sunday morning...

-Cav

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Way to go guys, it was a great show.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just writing to let everyone know I made it back safe and sound and everything. CGE ROCKED!!!!! And kicked much much much ASS!!!!! I LOVED every last second of it and had the time of my life =) I'm still so shocked and extremely honored I actually got to meet the Woz and had him sign the Apple IIC for the museum

Oh, wow, there is soooooo much to say about how kick ass CGE was this year. The Alumni was phenomenal and I am forever grateful and in debt to Joe, for getting me in this year, thank you so much =) The Swap Meet went fantastic especially once we had a pretty set schedule for everyone. CGE this year, simply put, breathe taking

I am very glade and proud of the speech I made to the team Sunday night. I meant it with all my heart; the hard work everybody did this year, with the new changes and all, was outstanding. I am not a drinker (as everybody found out at the party), but Sunday night was definitely worth that "celebration" beer I drank, it was one hell of a celebration beer too I might add

More so than ever, especially with all the LOVE I have for video games, I really feel like Rocky Balboa right now. Like him, I was an underdog that nobody knew or really cared about until that "Title Shot." John, Sean and especially Joe are that "Title Shot" to me, with making me apart of the Staff, the book and everything. I could not be more happier and you three have my most deepest and sincerest thanks from the bottom of my heart. This truly is an amazing honor for me, thanks again

I am already fired up for CGE 2K5 and can't wait for it, it is going to be great seeing everybody in person again next year.

Holly Smokes, "Cav" I can't believe you were at the show the whole time and I never even got the chance to meet you in person =( I am pretty sure you probably saw me though, I had my hair slicked back in a ponytail, wearing blue jeans and the San Jose CGE shirt. Can't wait to start writing for you Take Care

Jim Combs,
    digitpress jim
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are very welcome!

I had a blast at this years show and it was nice to meet everyone. Maybe I'll have to line you up with some more arcade games so Scott can make another trip.

Danny

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Holly Smokes, "Cav" I can't believe you were at the show the whole time and I never even got the chance to meet you in person"

I'm sorry I missed you too! Next year for sure, ok?

I swear next year I'm dragging people out by their ears to go hit a bar with me for one stinking beer (see the party thread in the Expo forum for more on that).

-Cav

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem Joe...I actually had fun working my ass off. All of our work definitely paid off and thats all that really matters. Next year, we'll make it even better.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cav
    "Holly Smokes, "Cav" I can't believe you were at the show the whole time and I never even got the chance to meet you in person"

I'm sorry I missed you too! Next year for sure, ok?

-Cav
    That you can most definitely count on

Jim Combs,
    digitpress Jim

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Like I said at CGE it was my pleasure to be as helpful as I could be. I'm all up for next year as well, where do I sign up? Hell I can see about getting a head start in scouting whatever is needed if the place that you mentioned is confirmed.

It was a pleasure to get to meet all of you and work with you. Never have I worked so well with people that I didnt really know, and have it go off smoother than things have with people ive known for years that are all local.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am super glad to hear you had an awesome time working with us/everybody, it was great having you help us out. You busted ass along with the rest of us, that was very much appreciated. Thanks again

digitpress Jim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone for the cge2k4 experience... the move to San Jose was a bold one, but I really think it paid off! Since the first show I attended and volunteered at in 1999, I have always believed the show is much more about a community coming together than about the merchandise or even the alumni... all the great people who give so much of their time and themselves to this event signals that that community is strong and that CGE will be around for years to come... congratulations to everyone involved, and thanks again for the memories...
    Load "*",8,1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I brought my first Vectrex to the show way back when. Not Quite the WOA days, but more that a year ago. Since then the Vectrex deliveries to the show for the Museum and the Auction have seemd to get a littel bigger each year.

I enjoy showing off my stuff as much as everyone loves to look and play. (though next year I might leave the Vectrex in the musuem turned off)

So as much as I say "you're welcome" to the staff of the show, I also say THANKS for continuing to put on CGE every year. See you all in 2005 if not before then.
    - v

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevates
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the cge2k4 experience... the move to San Jose was a bold one, but I really think it paid off! Since the first show I attended and volunteered at in 1999, I have always believed the show is much more about a community coming together than about the merchandise or even the alumni... all the great people who give so much of their time and themselves to this event signals that that community is strong and that CGE will be around for years to come... congratulations to everyone involved, and thanks again for the memories...
    Very very well said

digitpress Jim

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

All I can say is thanks to the guys for putting it on! Great floorspace, great museum (it had to be with some of my stuff in there :P ) and enough room in the speaking room for everyone to sit and bid in the auction. Glad to be a small part of it... and if I could remember more, I'd congratulate you for the excellent party thrown Saturday night too

Let's roll on next year... at some point...!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank YOU Joe, John, & Sean. It's my privilage to help out any way I can.
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014