Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally Obsessed: VH1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Totally Obsessed: VH1

Anyone else catch this show?

At its most basic level, it's a show about people who are obsessed with something. Last night's show featured four people. There was a couple who loved the Munsters so much they had an exact replica of the house built and live in it, there was a girl who's obsessed with GAINING weight (she's 350+ now, shooting for 600lbs) and the third guy was the rather infamous Peter Pan guy.

The FOURTH person on the show was Tim "Shoebox" Crist, who was on for being totally obsessed with Pac-Man. For those who have never run across it before, Shoebox runs the "First Church of Pac-Man" website, and has declared himself the Reverend of said Church.

Imagine a fat guy with ADD on speed with a greasy, 3 foot mullet, and you'll have a good image of the guy (not that I'm knocking being fat and/or mullets). Anyway, instead of pimping Pac-Man, it seemed like the guy dedicated his segment to just showing how weird he is. For example, he drives around in his car with a megaphone and shouts at people, "SAY PAC-MAN" at the mall. Who does that?

During the program, VH1 said, "Pac-Man was made for 20 different game systems, and Tim owns them all so he can play Pac-Man in every room of his house." Take that fact as a challenge -- anyone want to actually count how many systems Pac-Man has been released for? My guess would be, "all of them".

Then they showed him playing Pac-Man in his living room with his wife, being a complete ass to her. Just basically being sarcastic, "you know, the goal is to stay AWAY from the ghosts," that sort of thing.

In the final part he goes to this local pizza place and sees a Pac-Man machine and runs and hugs it and almost acts like he's humping it or something. He hits the machine so hard it either leaned or moved and hit the wall behind it. Then, still acting like a hyper-goof, he goes to get quarters at the register (where two large guys warn him about attacking their machine) and then he goes and plays Pac-Man and shows how much he sucks at it. Then of course there's big drama when he dies, "Oh WHY Pac-Man WHY!"

Three things struck me while watching this program.

One, I'm sure this guy isn't really this goofy. Who knows, maybe he is. If so, I'm sure he's very lonely. What seems more likely is that VH1 was egging him on, "hey, do something crazy," either that or he was just doing crazy stuff to get on television. Either way, he came off looking, well, crazy.

Two, shouldn't the Reverend of the Church of Pac-Man have a Pac-Man cabinet in his house? On the show they said he plays Pac-Man every day for lunch a few times. $2 day x 365 days = Pac-Man cab.

Three, I've already had two people mention this show to me at work. You wonder why collectors are treated like we're nuts ... well, because that's the way we're presented on television? When you tell someone, "I collect Nintendo stuff" and then instantly in their head they think of this 300lb guy humping a pac-man cabinet in a pizza parlor ... not good.

I've got nothing against Tim Crist personally ... in fact, I'd love to see more pictures of his collection (hey, maybe we can get them added to the Room of Doom section!). It just seemed to me like they really had him ham it up and it DIDN'T work (at least not for me).

Links:

VH1: Totally Obsessed
    http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/totally.../episode.jhtml

Shoebox's First Church of Pac-Man
    http://www.flamingmayo.com/firstchurchofpacman/

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw part of it. TV keep hitting new lows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: Totally Obsessed: VH1

I think they actually said he has either spent 10,000 dollars or 10,000 quarters playing Pac-Man. Either one should buy you a REALLY nice cabinet and have it delivered to your house and have plenty left over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They said he spent $10,000.00 in quarters playing that particular Pac-Man cabinet everyday, and I just thought, what a moron, he could have bought like 10 thousand cabinets by now cause they go for about a grand each. That guy was messed up anyway, it's amazing his wife puts up with it. I mean heavy collecting is one thing, but screaming at random people with a fisher price bullhorn is just plain wierd let's face it. And I was surprised to find out that the Peter Pan guy is straight. Oh and I also thought it was funny that even after playing the game since he was 7 he still hasn't beaten it.

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Without trying to be too disrespectful... about the whole $10,000 vs. buying a cab... look at the guy, he's obviously a moron.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, MTV enrages furries, leading to many angsty rants from bisexual "foxboys" littering boards worldwide. Then, VH1 decides to anger game collectors...and Peter Pan enthusiaists. I suspect a Viacom conspiracy against geeks.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I watched this show the other day for the first time, the premise is good, but the execution is terrible.

It's a show that doesn't take people's hobbies and display's them prominantly for the world to see and admire....it's a show for VH1 to exploit people and make them look like over obsessive moronic fools.

I noticed also, for a show that is centered around people who probably could care less about the latest trends in music, the soundtrack to the show is entirely Hip Hop oriented. Maybe that's who the show is aimed at?

Either way I find it a poor excuse for a show.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Milk
    First, MTV enrages furries, leading to many angsty rants from bisexual "foxboys" littering boards worldwide. Then, VH1 decides to anger game collectors...and Peter Pan enthusiaists. I suspect a Viacom conspiracy against geeks.
    Yeah, but baiting furries is like shooting fish in a barrel. They're already (rightfully) defensive about their (bizarre) fetish being (correctly) called retarded all the time.

Collectors are a subculture built around obsessive behavior. Any time you get a bunch of folk like that together, there's bound to be more than a few wierdos.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I saw part of that too... geeze, it's one thing to like a game, but it's another to drive around in your car shounting "PACMAN!! OMG I'M FAT AND STUPID!!" at people.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahrvergnugen
    Collectors are a subculture built around obsessive behavior. Any time you get a bunch of folk like that together, there's bound to be more than a few wierdos.
    True, although my experience has been most of the people I've met through this hobby are amazingly normal. Of course, maybe I just choose to meet the normal ones so maybe it's not a scientific study, but I can honestly say no one has ever yelled at me via a megaphone while gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like a shitty show. Recently, I've watched the VH1 series "I Love the '80s" and "I Love the '90s" where they have an hour long show for each year of the respective decade and talk about he mucis, movies, trends, and big news stories of the time. It's a fun little show and had a nice format (taken from the BBC) and would probably work well for a series on games.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya know Flack, when you tried to describe this Pac-Man guy i automatically pictured "Comic Book Guy"

I don't think i have ever seen a show on any Viacom owned station that ever presented video gamers as "normal" people. Some show on MTV2 hosted by Seanbaby had some guys on there blabbing about how they consider "Soul Caliber 2" to be like a "sport"

The only somewhat normal person on there was some girl who lost weight playing DDR.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked out the dude's web site and he's definitely as weird or more weird than he appears on TV. I think that the point of the show is to portray people that are weird, not to glorify their hobbies. It's all done for laughs, the show is supposed to be funny (whether it actually is or not is up for debate). What exactly were you guys expecting of this show, did you not see the previews for it? I'm sure they got in touch with Rev. Shoebox and discovered that he was a delightfully (or not) "eccentric" character and figured he'd fit right in to the theme of their show. Does he act like this in real life? Someone should e-mail him and find out. I would but I dont want this guy to know my e-mail address, I have a feeling that he's the type of person that if you show a little interest in him he'll latch on to you like grim death :P . Just kidding Rev.

Another thing I noticed at his web site was this:

Just when I thought there wasnt anything more atrocious than the Atari 2600 pac-man box. Actually this is kinda neat but who's concept of Pac Man is this? When did Pac Man become a trathlete? It seems like Atari used to do everything they could to make Pac-Man different at home than in the arcade, an attempt to make Pac Man "their own" perhaps? I dont remember a version of Pac Man they released that even had a normal-looking maze. I guess Namco used to be more "loose" with their Pac Man licence.
    Cinnamon!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imagine a fat guy with ADD on speed with a greasy, 3 foot mullet, and you'll have a good image of the guy (not that I'm knocking being fat and/or mullets).
    Yeah, who could deny how sexy you make it sound. OBVIOUSLY not knocking it! DNA isn't kind to ALL of us. In your case we see that personified by a BS bucket that is overflowing with sloppy-second goodness(not that I'm knocking BS and/or sloppy-second goodness...hey, not me TOO!).

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

. No, I didn't see it - but I don't have to... you're a great writer (at least that was well written) so I can imagine the whole thing.

Obviously that show just goes for people who'll get people talking - looks like it worked. If they had a choice between some of the collectors here and some guy from GameFAQs who collects games and has sex with birds... well, who would they pick?

"Hey man, watch me play my rare Egyptian copy of Soul Calibur while fucking this parot! Heh heh heheheh hehehe. Look he's trying to fly away. I also have this GameAxe - its covered in man juice though. Heh heh heheheeh. Want to see the church I set up in honor of True Crime: Streets of LA?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GimmeSomeReggae

Quote Originally Posted by Blendo75
    Wow.

I didn't know Pac-Man was a fan of sock garters.

The things I've learned on this board...

-A Boy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote from guy's site:

I am now going to be featured on national television merely because I happen to like Pac-Man more than the average person.
    Understatement of the year. And I also thought it was dumb that he played an arcade machine every day but didn't have one at home.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almsot felt sorry for the guy.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch
    Quote from guy's site:

I am now going to be featured on national television merely because I happen to like Pac-Man more than the average person.
    Understatement of the year. And I also thought it was dumb that he played an arcade machine every day but didn't have one at home.
    Forget that. Why'd he suck at the game on tv if he plays the arcade machine every day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kjmontana
    Imagine a fat guy with ADD on speed with a greasy, 3 foot mullet, and you'll have a good image of the guy (not that I'm knocking being fat and/or mullets).
    Yeah, who could deny how sexy you make it sound. OBVIOUSLY not knocking it! DNA isn't kind to ALL of us. In your case we see that personified by a BS bucket that is overflowing with sloppy-second goodness(not that I'm knocking BS and/or sloppy-second goodness...hey, not me TOO!).
    I wasn't knocking it because I'm a fat guy who USED to have a mullet. One was much easier to rectify than the other.