Thread: Posters Oh My!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Posters Oh My!!

Now...I might not be a walking proce guide like some great guru's of gaming...but this seems a little extreme to me...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3695368591

I bid him up, first because I wanted the auction to decorate my room...minus the FF poster, and then I kept going since I was amazed at how high the guy started his first bid. So...how much would you pay for a stack of posters... 200$$?!?!
    " Let me get my belt sander maybe I could grind the ugly off your face." -Homer J.

My Game Room http://www.psiapd.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He says that it is a Nintendo collector's dream, but why would a Nintendo collector care about Sega Genesis stuff.

Anyway, that does seem a bit extreme.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow...that's pretty damn rediculous.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-

Indeed

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    I bet it was the final fantasy poster that did it.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Posters Oh My!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji008
    Now...I might not be a walking proce guide like some great guru's of gaming...but this seems a little extreme to me...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3695368591

I bid him up, first because I wanted the auction to decorate my room...minus the FF poster, and then I kept going since I was amazed at how high the guy started his first bid. So...how much would you pay for a stack of posters... 200$$?!?!
    I'll tell you what's extreme.. would YOU have paid the seller if you had bid past him? It could've happened ya' know. Would you have done the "honorable" thing and have paid him?

Look.. I'm not criticizing you for bidding someone else up.. I've done it many a'times. Mostly because some newb bidder comes in and snatches an auction away from me that I'd been camping on for days.. at a decent price; just to teach them a lesson because they ticked me off. But about 1 time out of 20.. I get stuck with the item. Granted about 80% of even those times.. I STILL never pay more than I wished I'd had.. but there's that other 20% of the time..

My point is.. when I play games like this and end up "eating crow" I ALWAYS pay up. Do you? I hope so.

Sure the buyer has only a 17 feedback.. but they're all positives and he'll probably pay up. You have 143; I have 303. There's obviously something of value to him in the lot.. or he wouldn't have proxied that high. While I agree and in my eyes I'd never even pay a tenth of that for the stuff (Most coming out of games from the looks. Hell.. you could buy most of the games for that money complete.).. there's no need to belittle him for it.

I guess what I'm saying is you can feel good that you probably gave some newb buyer's remorse tonight and taught him a lesson.. but was it worth it? Which is more ridiculous.. someone getting what they wanted for a price that THEY were willing to pay? Or someone else bidding as insanely high out of curiosity to possibly end up paying WAY more than they probably wanted to?

Trust me.. it's a dangerous game; and when the chips fell.. would YOU have paid the price? Things that make you go hmmmm...
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I would have paid...if I had won. I have never not paid an auction. I am not in any way a newb to ebay. I have been using it since 99 or 98, (back then as many can attest feedback wasn't so important, and often not left on either side.) The other thing to consider is that if he wanted it that bad, he would have come back and outbid me. The thought to not paying never crossed my mind, as well as the thought that I was giving a newb buyers remorse. If he was planning on being remorse about it, he wouldn't have proxied so high. I know you said you weren't criticizing, but I have eaten some big dumb bids before and would have done the same here. I always deal honorable, whether it is ebay or the B&S Forum. Sorry to rant, but I feel that my honor has been tarnished, and I am loathe not to defend it.
    " Let me get my belt sander maybe I could grind the ugly off your face." -Homer J.

My Game Room http://www.psiapd.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    I'll tell you what's extreme.. would YOU have paid the seller if you had bid past him? It could've happened ya' know. Would you have done the "honorable" thing and have paid him?
    So are YOU hpnorable yourself?

Look.. I'm not criticizing you for bidding someone else up.. I've done it many a'times. Mostly because some newb bidder comes in and snatches an auction away from me that I'd been camping on for days.. at a decent price; just to teach them a lesson because they ticked me off.
    Cause this doesn't sound very honorable to me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    So are YOU hpnorable yourself?

Look.. I'm not criticizing you for bidding someone else up.. I've done it many a'times. Mostly because some newb bidder comes in and snatches an auction away from me that I'd been camping on for days.. at a decent price; just to teach them a lesson because they ticked me off.
    Cause this doesn't sound very honorable to me?
    "So are YOU honorable yourself?"

I consider myself very honorable.. to the seller at least (having been on both sides of the fence). I always pay my auctions.. even when I screw up and let my emotions get the best of me.. which was my point.

"Cause this doesn't sound very honorable to me?"

The way I see it.. I can't give advice on something I've never experienced before myself. I honestly admitted I've "bid up" another buyer before.. many times. It's not against the law; it's not against eBay's policy; and it's perfectly alright. Part of the game.. as long as you're willing to play and PAY if you lose (Which I have in the past.). One thing I CAN assure is that's it's been very helpful to me. Most people never bid frivolously against me again.

Like Shinji008; I have been an eBay member since '99. In that time I've participated in thousands of auctions and I know many of the tricks and habits of newer bidders. Personally.. I don't like newer bidders when I sell stuff.. and in some "big ticket" item cases.. have even been known to NOT allow them to bid.. because newbs have a tendency (especially zeroes who are less than 1 month members) to end up as NPBs (just my personal experience.. YMMV).

Let me ask you something Griking? Do YOU ALWAYS bid your highest bid amount (that you're willing to pay) by proxy; right off the bat? I don't anymore. Here's the kind of scenario in which I exercise this practice. Let's say I see "Item X" on eBay and I've waited some time for one. I REALLY want it bad. It's on a 7 day listing, into it's third day and their are no bids yet. I put in a proxy at what I consider a fair price for item x; but of course.. because I'm the first bidder.. my bid registers at the seller minimum starting point. Another 3 days go by and no one else seems interested at all.. and I JUST might get my wanted item at a good price. On day 6 someone outbids my proxy. It turns out to be a "zero" (i.e. eBay member w/no feedback yet) who usually just joined eBay the day before or so. THESE are the times when I go to work and start bidding up.. but I try not to go past an amount I wouldn't waqnt to pay still.. because I MAY get stuck ending up with more than I bargained for.

The scenario usually ends up one of two ways:

1. I win.. other bidder loses. I pay for item. Seller is happy. I'm happy.

2. Other bidder wins.. doesn't end up paying because being new to eBay he
    he hasn't learned the concept of self control (something eBay even warns
    about in their "bidder tips"). The seller has to relist.. go through the
    hassle of recovering lost fees; and usually relists the item later; and the
    process starts all over again.

Like I said.. I'm NOT criticizing Shinji008 and I didn't really mean to make it sound that way. I apologize Shinji008 if I offended you. I saw your feedback; and you can look at mine (scorch56).. we are BOTH excellent eBayers in my eyes. My question was.. having been privy to the method you used.. I wondered simply if you practised it for the same reasons I do.. and if when you got stuck.. you would have been willing to pay.. that's all. That; plus the fact that you felt the need to come in the forum and bring it to everyone's attention how proposterous it was for someone to pay that kind of money for some posters.. when you yourself just freely admitted that given the right circumstances YOU may have.. and would have.. paid that yourself.

"Bidding up".. be it for spite.. curiosity.. or whatever is a common practice. I look at it the same way I do "sniping". I work for a living at a job 10 hours a day. I can't count the number of times I came home; and was outbid by someone in the last few seconds of an auction that had had NO activity for days.. simply because I wasn't there or asleep and they (judging from their bidding records) had nothing better to do than sit on their butt all day in front of a PC with an "always on" connection. So you know what I did? After 4 years of cursing snipers and even actually trying to keep them out of my OWN auctions.. I finally gave up. If you can't beat 'em.. join 'em. I signed up for a sniping service because I still can't manually snipe most of the time. I must say.. it really hasn't won me many more auctions than usual in the long run, but at least now I feel like I'm playing on even ground.

I once got in a "bidding war" with another bidder several years ago on eBay. I'd wanted a copy of M.U.L.E. for the NES in the worst way, for quite some time.. but always lost. Finally.. one day.. I saw a sealed copy. The other bidder and I got in a bid war and I ended up paying $66 for a sealed copy. The game is probably worth 1/3 of that; but I learned a valuable lesson. That box is STILL unopened; and it sets on my desk right near my monitor.. to this day.. as a reminder whenever I "play the game".. not to get too carried away.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed that auction a few days back, an just thought it was some crappy posters! and they Still! Are

Some peoples are just plain! El Stupeedo!!

..XS

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least that isn't a lot of super famicom posters. I wish I had bid on some of those when I saw them.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html