Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any rare Gameboy systems out there?????

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Don't forget to add the "tribal" Gameboy SP released in the UK this summer. I expect that one to be a HUGE seller.

Edit: And of course, if I opened up that website before posting I would've seen that it had been included. Bad kitty, bad!

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once saw a Sweden Limited Edition GB Pocket on display in a toy store in, you guessed it, Sweden. It had the colors of the Swedish flag(blue and yellow) and came with a special box and a certificate of authenticity.

This would indicate that there should be at least a dozen or so European LE gameboys for the larger European markets out there.

HERE is a picture of what is probably the rarest SP. Taken in a Paris gamestore in July. Last one I saw on ebay went for $1500

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey I got that silver pokemon GBC.. it's still unopened.

However get this.. we have about 5 of those half blue/orange ones. They are all distributed to my nephews and nieces who avg 3-10 years old. However they are pretty much all discarded by now as it made room for their orange GB-SP's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sniperCCJVQ
    The gameboy light is rare. It was released in Japan only
    Japan only, yes. Rare? The jury's still out on that one. I'd say it's not terribly rare, actually.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DTJAAAAMJSLM
    I think I recall reading about a gold Gameboy which had jewels on the buttons that was on sale in Japan. The article was in an old EGM.
    That was a GameGear, not a GB.

There are far too many GB/C/A/SP variations, probably rivals the amount of pokemon. ^_^

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFGiant
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMB
    Plays gb games on super nes and gbc games too

Not all GBC games actually....any in the clear case I.E. Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Bros DX
    I hadn't owned a Super Gameboy until recently. When I went to play Harvest Moon 3 on it, it wouldn't let me (it has a clear case). That clears things up for me.
    The Rarest of is the Super Gameboy 2, it's a transparent Super GB only released in Japan, it only has a few capabilities that the regular one doesn't. I cant recall what they are right now, but they were not enough to warrant the purchase when I was jonsin for one way back when the F ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    The Rarest of is the Super Gameboy 2, it's a transparent Super GB only released in Japan, it only has a few capabilities that the regular one doesn't. I cant recall what they are right now, but they were not enough to warrant the purchase when I was jonsin for one way back when the F ever.
    Super Gameboy 2 has link capability if I recall, and I believe was shipped at the same time as (or with?) some Pokemon game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aboliax
    http://www.imgcab.com/gameboy/gameboy0.html

That site has pics of a lot of the rare gameboys. If i had a camera I'd take a few pics of mine so you guys could see them. The rarest one I have is a Famitsu Skeleton Game Boy Light still in its box (which is full of sexual inuendos btw). But I've also got a Famitsu GBP, a Gold GBL, and several other limited editions that arent so rare. But the best part is, theyre all in their boxes still
    HOLLY CRAP!!!!!!!! That is the most limited edition gameboys I ever saw!!! They almost have all the gameboys ever made!!!!!!!!!!

also someone should PM Achika about the Gameboy sewing machines for VidGame.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default i want one!

man, i did some reading about the game boy light and it sounds pretty sweet. not only did they add a backlight but you can turn it on or off as you like. i was looking for a game boy pocket, but this sounds even better. can it play american games with one, though? i've never looked into importing game boy stuff before.

anyone own a game boy light, and care to disclose their thoughts on it? a cursory search for it on ebay turned up no results, knowing my luck this is gonna be a pain in the ass to get...

-sharc

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: i want one!

Quote Originally Posted by sharc
    man, i did some reading about the game boy light and it sounds pretty sweet. not only did they add a backlight but you can turn it on or off as you like. i was looking for a game boy pocket, but this sounds even better. can it play american games with one, though? i've never looked into importing game boy stuff before.

anyone own a game boy light, and care to disclose their thoughts on it? a cursory search for it on ebay turned up no results, knowing my luck this is gonna be a pain in the ass to get...

-sharc
    I found two Gameboy lights on ebay i will try to find them again

my 50th post!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dragon

-sharc
    I found two Gameboy lights on ebay i will try to find them again

here:http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...126092484&rd=1

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wait a minute... Special sewing Game Boys? That first one looks like a standard Teal GBC to me... o_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ooooo~

*adds to watched items*

niiiiice. thanks for the link!

-sharc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GimmeSomeReggae

Wow.

This Siebu Lions-themed Game Boy Pocket would go really well with the Hanshin Tigers-themed Gamecube I just "acquired..."

Shit.

I've said too much.

-A Boy

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All gameboys are region-free. A Japanese game will work on your US machine and vice versa. I have three Japanese games for my GB(GBA). Two different DDR and Pinball of the Dead.

www.playasia.com had(has?) pinball of the dead for $23 shipped. The Japanese boxes are so much cuter and cooler than our US ones too.

Will definitely be picking up more.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-sharc
    Actually youd be surprised. I've used my gold GBL before and it's not the greatest thing on earth. The indigo backlight is really really cool looking in the dark, but the screen quality is still as bad as the old GBP, which compared to the SP is like the stone age. Still its worth getting one (an out of box one should only be 10-30, where as the more rare ones like the Famitsu Skeleton one are 100+ especially in box) just for the coolness factor alone. They are 100% compatible with all games pre game boy color (there are no regions on game boy games). If you ever come across one check them out, they're really cool. They have two very distinguishing features. The switch to turn them on has 3 settings, off, on, and light. and the battery cover is a very unusual shape (just imagine putting 2 AA batteries in a GBP that took 2AAA). I can probably answer anything else you want to know, I have 2 of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default coolness +5

yeah, i figured the screen quality would be of considerably lower quality than the gba models. i don't really mind, i'm just looking for an old school game boy. partly for nostalgia, and partly so i can have one that the old games won't stick out of. i play old gb games more than gba ones, and i don't like to carry around the gba with a game boy game in it because it doesn't fit.

the relative obscurity and coolness factor of this particular brand don't hurt either.

i don't think i have any questions, other than "know were i can get one for cheap?" i only want a normal one and don't care about it being boxed, so hopefully i won't have to go out of the price range you mentioned. if this auction doesn't pan out i think i'll try and beg some of my friends to talk to people they know in japan for me and hope someone's up for a shopping trip.

...though now that i think of it; how is the battery life? since they made it for bigger batteries than the normal models i'd hope it's relatively efficent.

-sharc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Super Gameboy 2 has link capability if I recall, and I believe was shipped at the same time as (or with?) some Pokemon game.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that I've seen SGB2s selling dirt cheap within the year.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm the battery life is supposedly around 10 hours so a bit less than normal, but with the option of turning the light off it saves a lot of power (I've never actually ran it all the way down). I'm like you I love the old GB games and even collect them (thought I'm only beginning 70/600+) I love these games I used to rent when I was a kid and it's been a lot fun. I got a hold of those sytems just for the fun of it. Ebay is the only place I've ever seen one for sale, as they were never sold anywhere in the US. but like I said, the price is only 10-30 normally and isn't too bad. You pretty much have to settle for silver, not too many gold ones are sold, and very very very few Famitsu GBLs and even less of the Astro Boys and Toys R Us Limiteds (which I'm still looking for, have been for a while). I've seen 4-5 for 10-30 in the last 2 weeks on Ebay, all silver, so that should be about right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default always looking for new stuff to buy!

that sounds about right. the optional light is a great idea. and i wanted a silver one anyway, so this works out very well indeed.

you have a ton of gameboy games, aboliax. i don't plan to get an even remotely complete colelction myself, just the stuff i enjoy and like to play. since you seem to know your stuff, could you check out my ign list and tell me if you think i'm missing any good titles for the platform? the only obvious ones i'm still after are kirby's dream land 1 and 2, mario land 1 and 2, and metroid 2, but with the sheer number of game boy games released i'm sure there are a lot of sleeper hits and unsung heroes that i missed out on. gradius, battleship and heiankyo alien (is that the one where you have to stop aliens by burying them in holes?) would also be nice to find but i doubt i will.

-sharc