Thread: Godzilla: Rettousinnkann (RTMAS for Saturn)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Godzilla: Rettousinnkann (RTMAS for Saturn)

Anybody here own it or played it before? I was hoping to find a review of it here, but it's not even listed in the online rarity guide yet, for some reason. Anyway, I'm thinking about importing it, but I'm concerned about the fact that it's entirely in Japanese. And I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. The only review of it that I've found remaining online so far is this one here:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2063/index.html

If you know of any other reviews of it somewhere, it would be very helpful. I can't decide if I wanna get this or something else. Usually I mostly import shmups, but the only ones I want that I don't already have now are all the really expensive ones, and I don't have enough for one of those right now. So I was thinking that this might be something similar that I might enjoy.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

If you decide not to get this / want to try out other similar-ish godzilla games I suggest the game Gear or SNES games....the GG one reminds me a lot of advance wars, heh.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you know what the Game Gear Godzilla's name was?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

The ROM is labelled merely "Godzilla", so I'm not totally sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's all the Godzilla games that I know of, for every system that has one:

Godzilla: Monster's Fair (MSX) IMPORT
    Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)
    Godzilla (Game Boy)
    Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters (NES)
    Godzilla's Greatest Battles (SNES) IMPORT
    Godzilla (TurboDuo)
    Super Godzilla (SNES)
    Godzilla: All Monsters Attack (Game Boy) IMPORT
    Godzilla: Eternal Struggle (Game Gear) IMPORT
    Godzilla: Real Time Monster Attack Simulation (Saturn) IMPORT
    Godzilla Generations (Dreamcast) IMPORT
    Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact (Dreamcast) IMPORT
    Godzilla: The Series (Game Boy Color)
    Godzilla The Series: Monster Wars (Game Boy Color)
    Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube & XBOX)
    Godzilla: Domination (Game Boy Advance)
    Godzilla: Save the Earth (PS2 & XBOX)

Now, out of all these great Godzilla games, I only have Super Godzilla so far!

I don't have a MSX, NES, or TurboDuo, so those 3 are out unless I play them on an emulator. I don't have a PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube, so those 3 are out unless I buy those systems. I only have a Super Game Boy for my SNES, so that rules out the 3 most recent portable ones. So that leaves me with the Game Gear import, the SNES import, the Saturn import, and the Dreamcast imports. And out of all those, the Saturn import looks like the one that I'd most like to play. So I'll probably end up getting it pretty soon, but I still wish that someone who's played it before could tell me more about what it's like.

BTW, don't you think that this list just looks completely wrong without any games for Genesis or Sega CD on it? Not even for Mega Drive or Mega CD! What the hell happened there? Was Toho pissed off at Sega back then? I don't understand those omissions at all, especially with at least one game on every other major system. It looks like it was left out on purpose, doesn't it? How can you have all those games appearing on all those other systems and not have at least one for the greatest 16bit console ever made? I'm totally pissed off about that. Godzilla belongs on the Genesis, dammit! Where is he?

Anyway, thanks for replying, I'm glad there's some other Godzilla fans here.

Get BIT!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'll second that recommendation for the Game Gear game. Very fun little game. :)

Speaking of Godzilla gaming stuff, is the Godzilla VMU really worth $50 like the rarity guide says? o_O Seems strange to me since I just bought one for $30 brand new from Play-Asia. It looks pretty spiffy, but I won't be keeping it for myself. My boyfriend and I need to get his brother a late birthday present, and considering he's crazy about both Dreamcast and Godzilla, it should be perfect for him. :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody here own it or played it before?

yup, and yup. it's an isometric strategy game, and decent at that. toho wasn't "mad" at sega, they just didn't do a godzilla game for the console. you'll also want to add the battle soccer and battle dodgeball sfc games to your list, as godzilla is a playable character on the teams in these games...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh, and you're missing the godzilla card battle game for the playstation from that list- i forget the name, but it exists...

g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, that was close! I almost missed it! I just went back to play-asia for the zillionth time, to look at all the games that I wanted to order from them, when the most dreadful thing happened! One of the games that I had been looking at (Fantastic Pinball Kyutenkai for Saturn) had sold out! I had just gone back there to look at it once again, just last night, and I had decided that today I would finally go ahead and actually order it. The only reason why I had kept on holding off on it and waiting was because I was planning to order it and Godzilla at the same time, to save on shipping, but I didn't have enough money for both yet. So as soon as I saw that the pinball game was out of stock, I hurried up and ordered the Godzilla game as fast as I could, because I was afraid that it would end up out of stock too. And sure enough I was right, because it did end up out of stock, right after I placed my order! So I got the last one! I knew I shouldn't have waited so long! Now all I have to do is hope that they get that pinball game back in stock soon! I sure hope that they can still get it, so they can restock it again!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOOHOO! This game is freakin' COOL! I'm so glad that I got it. I'm still trying to learn my way around all the commands and stuff, but the first mode that I tried practically plays itself. I cleared 3 levels already, and got to one where you have to fight Rodan & TWO Godzillas! I was a little disappointed to see more than one of the same kind of Godzilla on that map, but it was still cool as heck to have so many kaiju to fight off, and Godzilla is pretty mean too!

The graphics don't really look like 32bit at all, but considering that this was a launch title in Japan, that's understandable I suppose. I'm absolutely in love with it though, even though I don't fully understand how to play it yet. It has several different modes to choose from, so I'm still trying them all out, but I've seen enough of it already to feel that it was well worth the $30 I had to pay for it. The units that you get are cool as heck, and it's totally what it said it was, an awesome realtime simulation of massive kaiju attacks!

It's just like playing one of the movies on the human side. I wish that it also had a mode where you could play on the kaiju side, but it's still so much fun that I hardly have time to care about that minor little complaint, while I'm trying to save Tokyo from the wrath of rampant kaiju! So far I've fought off Anguirus, two Mothra larvae, Rodan, and of course I've also gone up against Godzilla several times, as I believe that he appears on every level, but I have yet to see any version of him other than the old classic version at this point.

I am so gonna have to save up for the two Godzilla Generations games for the Dreamcast now! And it looks like I'm also gonna have to track down the Game Gear game, all the GB/GBC/GBA games, and the Super Famicom games too. I may even have to break down and get a TurboDuo, just so I can get the Godzilla fighting game for it, I always did want that one! Why didn't they release all these great games here in the US? Don't they know how many Godzilla fans there are here? Didn't all of us in the 60's & 70's grow up with Godzilla & kung fu movies every Saturday afternoon after cartoons ended?

Yep, if you're into RTS games at all, then you definitely wanna get this one for sure, and even if you aren't into them, if you're a Godzilla fan you really need to play this game! The action is very quick and arcade-like, and really it probably would do pretty well as an arcade game too, it's just cool beyond words if you're a Godzilla fan. Probably not the greatest Godzilla game ever made, but still a very good one in my opinion, and the only one there is for the Saturn, so if you have one you really should check it out! I just love it!

It looks like it has alot of story to it too, if you can read Japanese, but you'd have to know it pretty well because there's a ton of dialogue in it. I bet that it's just like it is in the movies too, it plays very much like one of the movies. Oh yeah, the intro is pretty awesome too, lots and lots of footage from the movies, for a while there I was wondering if it was gonna be a full feature! Definitely something that you really should have in your collection if you're a Godzilla fan, even if you don't own a Saturn. You just might wanna get one for this! It won't blow you away if you're not a Godzilla fan, but if you are it should bring back alot of great memories from your childhood, if yours was anything like mine. I always dreamed of a game like this, and now I own it!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry to bump this thread after so long but I just saw it.

Alright, another G-Fan. I got stuck at the 3rd level of RTMAS, and haven't touched it since. But I thought what I played it was OK. I would have enjoyed it more if I could read Japanese, or if it was translated into English. But yeah, the intro is amazing with the Godzilla theme and montage of shots from G-History.

I don't think I'll ever beat this game though. It seems really difficult later on. Hell, I just want to see Hedorah (heard he's a hidden kaiju in the game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that's the level that I'm stuck on too. Is that the one where Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah are all attacking at the same time? I couldn't get past it, and lately I haven't even been able to get to it, so I still have no idea how to play it. I thought I had it figured out enough to know what I was doing, but I seemed to do alot better with it before I thought I had it figured out!

I hadn't heard that there were any hidden kaiju in the game, but it would be cool if there are. I'd probably never find any of them though, and codes for import strategy games aren't very easy to locate, like they are for the more mainstream genres. So unlocking any hidden content would be a feat!

I have to agree about the cool intro though, that alone is worth owning the game for right there, IMO. I couldn't believe how long it was. It seemed like I was watching a whole Godzilla movie! And the quality of the video was very good for the Saturn too. I've seen much worse quality video on PC's before!

I still think that this game is one of the best Godzilla games ever made, even if it is the only one I've ever played so far. I'd love to own all the other ones, but this one is a real good one to start with, if you can only get one game. It's just so true to the spirit of all the movies, it really makes a great tribute!

Get BIT!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah...2 of my favorite topics...kaiju and videogames. I have spent far too much money on both. I have to agree, the Saturn G game is pretty fun, even though the language is a stumbling block. If you dig the Saturn G game, you might like the NES Godzilla 2 as it's also somewhat of a strategy type game. Also, in case you haven't played the Duo fighting game, the SNES import is almost identical. Then there are the Dreamcast titles...neither one is very good to be honest, but Maximum Impact is the better of the two IMO. And sadly, the PSX Godzilla Card Battle game is neigh impossible to figure out without some knowledge of japanese. However...if you are a fan of kaiju eiga in general, you might want to check out the really fun Gamera 2000 title for the PSX. This is a surprisingly fun rail shooter featuring everyones favorite flying turtle and is based in the world of the new series of Gamera flicks. Not only is it very fun to play, it's almost completely in english - including the cut scenes (if you choose the option) which feature some hilariously bad acting. Think Panzer Dragoon with the ability to call on a fire breathing turtle. Good stuff, and quite possibly my favorite kaiju related video game that I have played. You guys don't happen to collect G toys by chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I LOVE Gamera, he's one of my alltime favorites, and my sister's too. I'll have to see about getting that PSX Gamera game. I would love to start collecting Godzilla toys again, and wish that I still had all my old ones. I had the Godzilla Shogun Warrior, as well as the Rodan Shogun Warrior, but I wore both of them out as a kid, no wonder it costs so much to replace them now. There were a couple of really cool sets of kaiju produced here a few years ago, I don't remember what they were called, but just about every kaiju was represented. I should've bought all of those, I bet they're real expensive now also. And what about the cheap little sacks of plastic monsters they used to sell here, are those still available in the US? I never got one with Godzilla in it, and I'm not sure if any of them were real kaiju, but you would get an assortment of about a dozen monsters in a sack.

Anyhow, all I have now is a small Gojira from some kid's meal promotion that was produced after the 2000 movie now. (Or whenever that one that had Matthew Broderick in it was made.) Still haven't seen the latest one yet, and running very behind the times for sure, only own the Saturn G game right now, and never even seen most of the original classic movies all the way through, if at all. I sure do remember all my Saturday afternoons spent glued in front of the TV set watching stuff like Godzilla and Gamera and Ultraman though! My parents must've grown to loathe Godzilla's roar. I don't think they cared too much for me constantly attacking them with those Shogun Warriors either, but they put up with it. Kids today miss out on so much.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All I have of Godzilla is the 1985 Imperial toy of him that they put out at KB Toys when Godzilla 1985 hit US theatres. The toy goes about one foot tall.

My friend used to have like 8 inches toys of Megalon, Godzilla and MechaGodzilla. I remember my dad asking me if I wanted one, too, but oddly enough, I said no (because I felt like saving money)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had this Saturn Godzilla game in my backlog for many years, and finally this weekend put some serious playtime into it. It took a while to figure out the gameplay, but once I did, the game was a blast. Unfortunately, I am stuck on stage 7. It seems impossible to kill the 2 giant moths. Has anyone successfully finished this game? I think there are 10 stages.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am SO close to being able to beat stage 7. I just discovered that you can call in air strikes on this stage. That should help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap is that stage 7 hard. I literally spent an entire afternoon to get past it. The good news is that stage 8 seems like it will be easier.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Kabrelle
    PSN
    Kabrelle

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    Here's all the Godzilla games that I know of, for every system that has one:

Godzilla: Monster's Fair (MSX) IMPORT
    Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)
    Godzilla (Game Boy)
    Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters (NES)
    Godzilla's Greatest Battles (SNES) IMPORT
    Godzilla (TurboDuo)
    Super Godzilla (SNES)
    Godzilla: All Monsters Attack (Game Boy) IMPORT
    Godzilla: Eternal Struggle (Game Gear) IMPORT
    Godzilla: Real Time Monster Attack Simulation (Saturn) IMPORT
    Godzilla Generations (Dreamcast) IMPORT
    Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact (Dreamcast) IMPORT
    Godzilla: The Series (Game Boy Color)
    Godzilla The Series: Monster Wars (Game Boy Color)
    Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (Gamecube & XBOX)
    Godzilla: Domination (Game Boy Advance)
    Godzilla: Save the Earth (PS2 & XBOX)
    Quote Originally Posted by geelw View Post
    oh, and you're missing the godzilla card battle game for the playstation from that list- i forget the name, but it exists...

g.

Don't forget Godzilla Unleashed for PS2/DS/Wii

I've recently become a pretty avid Godzilla (and any kaiju film) collector trying to hunt down all the movies (only 2 left to go for Godzilla!) but have missed out on a majority of the games (only own/played Destroy All Monsters Melee, Domination, and a ROM of Super Godzilla). I'm not as into the games as I am movies, but I found Domination and Melee to be really fun. Super Godzilla on the other hand bored me, but that fanboy inside of me requires me to go out and find/get legit copies of all the games, regardless of if I like them or not. I have to say, the list of Godzilla games is astounding to see. I was unaware so many existed. Guess that's my fault for not having been born during the 80's. Makes the job of collecting harder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally finished Godzilla! Stage 7 was definitely the most difficult. Stage 8 was hard, but not too bad. By comparison, stage 9 & 10 were easy. All in all, a fun game.