Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Official Atari 2600 Thread

We tried this once with ColecoVision awhile back, it worked well but then the board crashed and we lost it. Now that there are safeguards against that kind of thing, let's back up and try again for another truly memorable system.

I'd like everyone's input on this.

It wasn't the first system, but it was certainly the first BIG system. It was the first system to make people call video games by the company name that produced them "Let's all go play Atari! (even if it's actually an Odyssey2)". And the console introduced many other "firsts" to home gamers. So tell me:

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    - What are some of your other favorites?
    - What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    - How many games do you have for it?
    - Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

Go time! Have fun with this, but by all means, share your thoughts!

NOTE: to jog your memory, here's our complete list of US games:
    http://www.digitpress.com/lists/atari2600.pdf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's easy... MazeCraze

Pitfall, Pitfall II, Haunted House, Superman, Fishing Derby, Circus Atari, River Raid, god I could go all day...

Heh, Superman used to piss me off when the helicopter guy used to steal parts of my bridge. I remeber spending hours wandering around in ET as well. I hate wandering!

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

My cousin chris's house. He was playing Missle Command, and I was just blown away.

Yep, and yep...

heh, well, one game(pitfall II) and a cuttle cart

This was the first video game system I owned. I played it constantly, and even my mom loved the games for it. I remember getting it for christmas in like 81, maybe 82(lol, about the same time we bought the GIANT 600lb VCR with knobs to change the channel), and not stopping play until school started back up again. As much as I love video games in general, I will always have the fondest memories of my 2600. The system that popped my cherry! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frogs and Flies and Demon Attack rule the floor.

Favorite game was plaque attack,

Most Frustrating moment : trying to change into superman.

Funniest 2600 moment the 2600 Jr commercial Under 50 bucks.

Thanks

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- What is your favorite gameS on this system?

Damn, that's hard...ummm, Pitfall, Kaboom, Ms. Pacman, River Raid, SCSIcide (yeah, I'm kissing your arse Joe G.)

When my brother saved up for Pac-Man, got it home, plugged it in, and realized that it sucked!

Yes and Yes

about 175+

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I had a Colecovision BEFORE I ever played an atari, so nothing really impressed me

Favorite games would be the few that I played when I was younger:
    Spider Fighter
    Riddle of the Sphinx
    Pacman (Sorry! I didn't play it in the arcade, too young!)
    Cosmic Ark
    Atlantis

Infuriating? Swordquest.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My fav would be demon Attack. but I've always liked Empire strikes back, freeway, warlords, kaboom!, Video Pinball

Games I hated.. I can't think of any, but I didn't own the system when I was little so I never spent $30 for junk.

I first saw the machine displayed at Sears running Combat, I was hooked but my parents wouldn't buy it.. and in fact I didn't convence them to get a system for me and my sister until the INTV came out. but now I've got a mint 4 switch wood and mint 2600 vader and a couple of ragged 6'ers that I'll sell as they are not collection worthy.

I have around 110 of the worst looking 2600 carts out there.. and I love them all! I probably have 125 with dupes.

I may not have owned a 2600 in my youth but I had plenty of friends who owned them. Pretty much early on I'd play 2600 with friends of my parents' kids and they would come over for INTV. Later in the 80's (well after the 2600 was dead) when I'd visit my Grandparents, who lived in a small West Texas town of 4000 people; the kids in the area were poor and they all had 2600's. I played more 2600 then than at any time as that was all there was to do except swim and ride bikes. They also tended to have large 2600 collections as it was all hand-me-down equipment by then.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd never be able to answer this, it's always changing...

HERO, Laser Gates, Enduro!, Room of Doom, Kaboom, and others...

I was surprised that I actually managed to figured out how to play London Blitz. Then I never touched it again ; )

Yeah, a friend was showing off Laser Blast and I was moderately impressed. It wasn't until I played Enduro that I began to feel fuzzy about the 2600. I *never* saw any of the competition until many years later when a new aquaintence pulled the Colecovision out of the basement, so I thought the 2600 was the greatest until the NES popped up.

No - my father was very firm on computers only, no consoles. So, while I did have an Atari Video Pinball and a Coleco Telstar, everything else was a straight forward computer until I picked up my own Genesis.

As of right now, 317 unique carts. 12 more in the mail, and various others pending - just the way I like it!

An old friend and I, to this day, still hold Hardcore Activision Tennis Tournaments when she's in town. This involves a standard game of Tennis, with the additions of pushing, shoving, trash talking, cussing, and joystick throwing. It gets messy, but it's all in good fun. We usually attract an audience too - in fact, her fiance seems to get a kick out of cheering me on. I'm sure he pays for that later on though...
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game on this system?
    Toss up between Adventure, Pitfall and Kaboom! I remember going wild over the mouth change after reaching 10,000 points!!

I'm with SYLENTWULF on Pac-Man! I am old enough to have played it in the arcades but I still played the 2600 ver. for HOURS!!!!

I also agree with him on Swordquest (earthworld). I hated that game but I could JUST NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!!

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    What game was it? What was your reaction?

I was probably 11 or 12 when my brothers and I opened up a brand new Atari 2600 on Christmas morning. I was in shock! I had never seen one in the stores and all we had until then was PONG. The pictures on the box of the different games had me drooling!!!!

Yeah, I gave it up for many years but I have 7 or 8 2600's now.

About 250

- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us

Just the chrismas story and of course the countless stories of my brothers and I fist fighting because the other was taking WAY too long on Pitfall!!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let see... I think it's still Adventure.

Pitfall and Pitfall 2, Solaris, Yars Revenge, and Euchure

Surprised: Pitfall 2. The first time I played it the game area was *huge* compared to any games I've played before.

Infuriated: that would be the last part of Pitfall 2 where you have to climb ladders and dodge all the bats and condors. I've died in that stage more often than any other pre NES games.

Yes, my grandparent's house on Christmas '78. One of my older cousin bought the console over to play and I played some. I can remember a few games like Combat and Outlaw. My parent had to get one for me and my brother because we had a vice like deathgrip on those controllers when they wanted us off the system so we could go home.

Technicially the family owned the system back then. I took over the entire lot about 15 years ago when my brother lost interest and stiopped playing outright in favor of SNES, Genesis and evenetually PSX. He still hadn't touched the Atari controller to this day. And yes, I still have the original console I got back then along with the very first 3 games: Combat, Circus, and Pong Sports.

Off the track, I got Atari Lynx for my birthday('91 I think, maybe '92?) with California Game and Blue Lightening. Got Rygar for Christmas a few days before my birthday... longest week with a Lynx game and no system to play it on :P I also got Atari 5200 and 7800 at various yard sales and such from as early as '91.

Counting unique carts only (excluding label variations), around 400 for 2600, 15 for 5200, and 32 for 7800.

Yeah. My parent regretted getting the Atari system because before then, sibling rivalary had never happened. I was 8 then and my bro was 6 and we had gotten along quite well until Atari came in then we always fought over which games to play, etc. My parent had to hide Super Challenge Baseball because it was too rough (not the game itself, my and my bro.)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Solaris

Commando, Tomcat F-14, Moon Patrol, Ms. Pac-Man, Asteroids, Defender, Stargate

What infuriated me was when there was a bug in Donkey Kong and the fireballs would cross over the gaps in the rivets level; trying to figure out how to play Reactor without any instructions.

My first memory of the 2600 was back in 1984-85 at my friend's house. The first game I saw was probably Asteroids or Defender, which I loved then as I do now (incidentally, I later bought these games and some more from that same friend).

My first 2600 was the Coleco Gemini clone. I got it in 1987. Earlier this year, I got a 2600 Jr. from SlyDC.

I own about 20-25 games, mostly must-have games that I want to play.

When I had the Gemini, the controller often pinched the skin of my right hand (there's a gap between the fire buttons and the joystick of the Gemini).
    When I was 12 or 13, my friend Seb and I spent countless hours trying to beat Donkey Kong. We got to over a million points, but the game is an endless loop.
    Finally, I liked Moon Patrol so much I wanted to tape it on my VCR. Nowadays, this is an easy task to do with modern consoles. But I never found a way to connect the Gemini to the VCR.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Detroit: Home of Chrome wheels, Dope deals and Vacant fields...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Favorite Game: Turmoil

Other Favorites:

Phoenix
    Demon Attack
    Burgertime
    Cosmic Ark
    Atlantis

What game suprised me? Demon Attack
    Infuriated me? E.T. Piece of crap-ola

First time I saw the console was at Sears...I was blown away. It was Combat.

Had one then, got one now. (Thanx Ubersaurus)

I used to have over a hundred games for the system...funny story? 2 days after I sold the system, I tried to find the buyer to get it back. I was unsuccessful. :cry:

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Journey Escape

Yars' Revenge, Keystone Kapers, River Raid, Activision Decathlon

Lost Luggage surprised me, it was a really fun game, I didn't expect it to be...
    Super man and Adventure infuriate me...I don't know how to do what I'm supposed to be doing...still dislike both games.

Yes, Video Olympics, hey cool - you can play Pong in color at home!!

Yes on both

260 different, about 350 with dupes.

Me and my pal Jimmy pulling 2 hour shifts on Defender...I think we had one game last close to 26 hours...we had a big box fan blowing hard on the 2600 to keep it from overheating again...

My mom and I had an epic Pac-Man fight one day, we both hit over 350,000!!!

I've bowled a 300 on Game 1 of Bowling twice.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MegaMania would have to be my favorite.

What are some of your other favorites?
    Spider Fighter, Kaboom!, Frogger, Adventure, and many more. Basically all the ones that I had as a kid I still think are great.

What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    Nothing I can think of off hand.

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    I first saw the system in action in the early eighties when I was VERY young. That was so long ago that I could never remember what game was being played and even though I can't remember my initial reaction either, I would have to wager that it was that I wanted to play.

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    I didn't own one back in the day but my parents did so I could play it whenever I wanted. The first system that was acutally *mine* was the NES. I do own an Atari today, more than one actually.

How many games do you have for it?
    Two months ago I didn't have a single game for that Atari but back in September I began to actively collect for the 2600 with the goal of getting every unique title with the exception of most of the super rare titles like Video Life, Magicard, Eli's, Air Raid, Gauntlet, and a couple others.

Today I have 238 unique games in my collection with a few very nice titles like Malagai, Lochjaw, and Stronghold.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default Re: Official Atari 2600 Thread

Hmm...choose one? Pitfall 2.

Anything Activision, Circus Atari, Bowling, Pengo

Suprized, The Epxy "Summer/Winter/California Games" series. Damn, I didn't know you could do all that on a 2600! and how much of Tapper was in the 2600 version.

Infuriated? Swordquest. Put a lot of time into that one back in the day. And the fact that I shelled out all my birthday money for DOnkey Kong and it only had 2 crummy levels! (Yes, I'm still bitter.)

When pops brought it home (1978).

-What game was it? What was your reaction?

Breakout I beileve. I didn't see it as that much on an improvement over the Telstar Arcade aside from having more colors. Then Space Invaders came out...

Yes and yes.

Including label variations, about 250 or so.

None that I haven't sharde already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Data Age's Ssnake

Star Fox, Amidar, Sea Hawk, Fire Fly, Cosmic Corridor

- What games surprised you?
    Race / Indy 500. Different controllers. Different playing style.

-Infuriated you?
    Missile Command. The Joystick control and this game don't work well together.

Yes. My Uncle had one.

-What game was it?
    Pac-man

-What was your reaction?
    I thought, "THAT's supposed to be Pac-man?!?!?"

I didn't get one until 1985, but now I have 4 of them.

Er...Something like 150, not including my Cuttle Cart library.

Not really. Most of the experiences I've had with the system have been rather sedate. The only oddity was the 2600 that I owned that literally made Pac-man and the ghosts into squares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

-What is your favorite game on this system?-

Toss up between Cosmic Ark and Spider Fighter

-What are some of your other favorites?-

Spy Hunter, Keystone Kapers, Circus Atari, Star Master

-What games surprised you?-

Spy Hunter: I never had to play a game with two controllers until I got that.

-Infuriated you?-

Dragster. I could never figure out how to play that game. Which is probably why I drive an automatic car.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?-

Actually, no. Probably the only time I saw it in action was on a TV commercial before my parents won a system at a K-Mart Moonlight Madness sale.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?-
    Yes and No. My tastes have changed and the classics, though I respect 'em and liked them, don't do much for me anymore.

- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?-

For a while I would play act some sort of adventure, using the games as various "scenes". I'd race to my "rocket ship" in my car in Enduro for a few minutes, stop, swap the cart out and pop in Star Master then pretend I'm flying it. Stuff like that to keep the games interesting.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'd say Adventure. It's the first of it's kind. It's a genre I love. And back then it was what I thought a home video game should be.

What are some of your other favorites?

River Raid. Asteroids. Berzerk. Dodge 'Em. Ms. Pac-Man. Space Invaders.

They're not as flashy as their counterparts but when I want a quick five minute twitch fest these are the games I go to.

What games surprised you? Infuriated you?

Pac-Man suprised me. I've never really understood why people got so angry that it wasn't more like the arcade version. None of the 2600 stuff was like the arcade version. Sure they took more liberties and it was rushed, but it was still Pac-Man and I still liked it.

I bet my infuriated answer isn't unique: E.T. Falling down pits and never being able to get out just didn't make any sense to me.

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

Totally. I don't remember the year though but it was shortly after it was released. The game was Combat and my dad and sister were playing it. I was just totally blown away - we had no idea dad was going to pick up the system. The worst part was that I was late getting home and I was 'grounded' from playing the system for a day because of it.

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?

Well, my dad did, but yup. I have no idea what happened to that system though. Sold it at some point I guess.

I reacquired one maybe four years ago. At a thrift store. As I was looking for some clothes to wear to a Disco Party.

How many games do you have for it?

56 and counting today. Back then we had, at most, half that.

Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

Yup - two of them:

-----
    I asked for Dodge 'Em for Xmas and bragged to my parents that I'd know I'd gotten it without even opening the wrapper because of the shape of the box.

Xmas comes and I don't see a 2600 box wrapped under the tree. I open a gift and its ... vanilla wafer crackers?!? Needless to say I'm a little stunned at this point. My parents tell me to try one and low and behold - Dodge 'Em!
    -----
    My dad was a big game player (still is actually), but was frustrated that he was never able to beat me at anything (still can't actually). Ahhh, the advantages of youth...

Well, for Xmas the following year I asked for Defender. Xmas finally comes and I start playing against him he's *totally* killing me. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what was going wrong. Turns out he had bought the game two months in advance, taken it out of it's wrapper, and played it when I was asleep or not at home. Hours and hours of practice later and he put his cocky son in his place. Again...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be Pitfall.

A few of my other favorites are Berzerk, Missle Command, Keystone Kapers, River Raid.

I remember trying to play Raiders Of the Lost Ark with a friend and we threw the controllers at the wall and never finished or played that sucker again but I can't remember why!

My parents bought us the 2600 for Christmas 1978 and sometime afterwards they also got us an Odyssey2 which I remember having more games for. My Mom and Dad hogged the Odyssey and played KC Munchkin and Slots forever so I became an expert at Berzerk and Missle Command.
    I still have the old 2600 and all of the carts I played as a kid.
    How many games do you have for it?- At last count I have 6 Atari 2600 systems and 276 different games with just as many duplicates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

River Raid, for some reason I always liked the pastoral setting

Defender, Frogger, Pac-Man

I always remember thinking how awesome it was that you could pick up the people in Defender and bring them back down.

I was around 6, so that would've been 1987 or so...

What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Pac-Man, it rocked my world.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"?
    No, but my friend down the street did. I had an Atari 1200XL, though...for some reason I always thought the 2600 was cooler though...probably because it was hooked up to a bigger tv...

How about now?
    Just got one a few weeks ago...

7 or 8

It's amazing how when you're small the games seem so much cooler...I think mame really ruined a lot of the nostalga for me when I rebought the 2600. I think that I projected the mame version of defender onto my memories of playing it back in the day, so I was a little disapointed with all the flickering. Aside from that, I think that the 2600 is a great system, although my Combat locks up once every 5 minutes and my Pac Man gives random 40 or 60,000 point bonuses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Favorite: Crystal Castles- got through ALL castles!
    2. Adventure, Superman, Asteroids, Maze Craze, Demon Attack, Dolphin, Ice Hockey vs. friend
    3. Crystal Castles is a really good game, even better than the XL/XE version in some respects. 2 games I got really pissed at were Raiders/Lost Ark & SwordQuest: Earthworld
    4. At a friend's house in 3rd grade Missile Command- I didn't get you're SUPPOSED to move the cursor! A kid on my street got one later on & I was HOOKED!
    5. Yes, I "quit" for awhile but got a 2600jr for a birthday
    6. Had 80 at one time but 20 now through sales/trades (I don't consider myself a collector)
    7. Just that I played it EVERY DAY!!!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."