Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Star Ocean PS2 first 8 hours

  1. #1
    Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Raedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Texas Land
    Posts
    8,054
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Star Ocean PS2 first 8 hours

    so far

    GOOD:

    Story
    rendered CGI
    battle system is sooo much fun.

    BAD:

    Character models and render engine are HORRIBLE! Everything looks first generation.
    Some voice overs are just left out..? There will big this big conversation then.. subs.. Still better voice over work then Second Story "WE DID IT!" ughhh
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

    Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

  2. #2
    Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The Electric Quarter, NH
    Posts
    4,934
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The reason it looks first gen is because it's been out for like 3-4 years in japan hasn't it? Or was that just an initial release date?
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

    DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

  3. #3
    Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The Electric Quarter, NH
    Posts
    4,934
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Yeesh, my bad. It was STARTED ON 5 years ago..... (big post below in reverse chrono order)

    March 05, 2003
    Star Ocean 3 Bugs
    Sony Japan and Enix get to the bottom of several lock-up bugs.
    February 26, 2003
    Star Ocean 3 Screensaver
    Fill that empty desktop space Enix style.
    February 10, 2003
    Star Ocean Wallpapers
    Three new high-res wallpapers to make your desktop pretty.
    February 07, 2003
    Star Ocean Commercial
    Watch the Japanese television commericial for this much-anticipated RPG.
    February 06, 2003
    Screen Ocean 3
    You cannot resist the temptation till the end of time.
    January 02, 2003
    Star Ocean 3 Release Date
    Okay, we're pretty sure this one is the real thing.
    December 17, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Release Moves?
    First it's later, now it's sooner.
    November 07, 2002
    Star Ocean Theme Released
    Or rather, it will be released in a couple of weeks or so.
    October 09, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Delayed
    This fall's biggest RPG is now next spring's biggest RPG.
    September 30, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Screens
    Comparing the original version of the game with the newly-implemented widescreen mode.
    September 27, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Trailer
    Direct-feed TGS footage!
    September 20, 2002
    TGS 2002: Star Ocean 3 Movies
    Enix and tri-Ace whip up a stunner.
    September 13, 2002
    New Star Ocean 3 Screens
    Mainly of the youthful Roger S. Huxley.
    August 30, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Release Date
    Japanese games only have to wait 'till the end of November.
    August 23, 2002
    More Star Ocean 3 Screens
    Just a few battle shots we missed before.
    August 13, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Art
    Not a lot of it, but worth looking at nonetheless.
    August 09, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Trailer
    Very mysterious, and very pretty. Two thumbs up.
    July 29, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Screens
    Thank you, tri-Ace, for coming back out of the woodwork again.
    July 22, 2002
    Star Ocean 3 Screens in High Res
    We'e got eight new shots in the 640.
    July 12, 2002
    Star Ocean Release Narrows
    Japanese fans have to wait 'till the end of 2002.
    May 17, 2002
    Enix Officially Announces Star Ocean 3
    The inevitable becomes reality, as the next Enix RPG finds a window.
    October 12, 2001
    TGS 2001: Namco And Enix Booths
    Square was surprisingly weak in the RPG department this show -- see who filled that void.
    October 12, 2001
    TGS 2001: First Video Footage - Star Ocean 3
    Gamers in Japan want this game more than they want Metal Gear Solid.
    October 12, 2001
    TGS 2001: Star Ocean 3 Impressions
    The next one from tri-Ace is a big step into the future -- how many years was that?
    October 01, 2001
    Enix Confirms Star Ocean 3, Others For TGS
    The next tri-Ace RPG leads the pack, but three unknown titles will be following close behind.
    September 26, 2001
    New Star Ocean 3 Details?
    Take with grain of salt, don't e-mail me in the morning, but this may be confirmed soon.
    September 13, 1999
    Sony's Got Games
    A shocking level of third-party developers have joined Sony. Here's the full list and the games.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

    DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

  4. #4
    Alex (Level 15)
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Providence RI
    Posts
    7,099
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

    Default

    Star Ocean 3 was SUSPOSED to be out very shortly AFTER the PS2. As in, late 2001 and early 2002. So yeah, of course it looks dated.

    I don't even know when the game came out in Japan -- over a year ago, I'd say.....

    I really liked Star Ocean 2, so I'll probaly pick this one out of the bargin bin.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    It's been about a year and a half since the Japanese release, less if you count from the Director's Cut release. The original came out in March of 2003.

  6. #6
    Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Raedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Texas Land
    Posts
    8,054
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    It's a worthy RPG so far. The story has me sucked in.. was up to 3am playing.

    Biggest complaint so far is the same I have with many of these Square/Enix RPG Imports.

    The voice overs are made to fit JAP dialog timing so someone will ask a question like, "wanna go to the beach?" and then 5 seconds later.. "Sure!" It's like watching a poorly cut student film.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

    Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    What do you expect them to do? o_O The character models move their mouths with the voice over, so matching that up has to be their first priority.

  8. #8
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    calthaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Posts
    2,996
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

    Default

    Well, they could make the character models match the mouth movements to English dialogue...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

  9. #9
    Strawberry (Level 2) lucavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    430
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    i'm liking the game so far as well, but i also have some problems with it.

    -so far evry boss fight has been extremely easy. i had a harder time getting to them than fighting them.

    -don't care for the battle system too much yet either. you end up doing more dammage button smashing then wasting time setting up larger attacks.

    -and because the enviroments are so big i spend more time staring at the map to navigate than without it so i'm not really able to appreciate any of the graphics or "feel" like i'm in the game.

    oh, and for those of you that don't like games that have areas where you have to push colored blocks around to get through...
    yes i did it.

  10. #10
    Bell (Level 8) GaijinPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Land surrounded by water
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    What do you expect them to do?
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

  11. #11
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,255
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Well, they could make the character models match the mouth movements to English dialogue...
    Yeah, I think they actually did do this with Kingdom Hearts.
    Egbert, I miss you...

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    What do you expect them to do?
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    That's what I'd want them to do, rather than what I expect them to do. :P Even if they did that, though, there's still the issue that I'd like them to actually translate the script rather than change the name of every single character/place/move/item/etc. to whatever the heck they please.

  13. #13
    Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Raedon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Texas Land
    Posts
    8,054
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    What do you expect them to do?
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    That's what I'd want them to do, rather than what I expect them to do. :P Even if they did that, though, there's still the issue that I'd like them to actually translate the script rather than change the name of every single character/place/move/item/etc. to whatever the heck they please.
    fuck all that.. the JAP market is like the US in 1983.. they should cater to us.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

    Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

  14. #14
    Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The Electric Quarter, NH
    Posts
    4,934
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    Damn right. Castlevania on the PS2 will be one of the greatest games EVER, simply due to the fact that it let you PICK.

    Silent hill 3 did as well, but then EVERYTHING was in japanese (menu's, items, etc...) so it was kinda hard to do...
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

    DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

  15. #15
    Alex (Level 15)
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Providence RI
    Posts
    7,099
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

    Default

    I HATE English subtitles in games.

    But if there is room, sure -- give the option to have either English voices or Japanese voices with subtitles. Both the .hack games and Castlevania: Lament of Innocence had this.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

  16. #16
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    What do you expect them to do?
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    That's what I'd want them to do, rather than what I expect them to do. :P Even if they did that, though, there's still the issue that I'd like them to actually translate the script rather than change the name of every single character/place/move/item/etc. to whatever the heck they please.
    fuck all that.. the JAP market is like the US in 1983.. they should cater to us.
    Uh.... what the heck is that supposed to mean? o_O

  17. #17
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    What do you expect them to do?
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    That's what I'd want them to do, rather than what I expect them to do. :P
    Why? You'll play the games in Japanese anyway. :P

    I'm all for choice though, do the voice overs in english and then add in a menu option for original japanese. I want english voices though and I don't give a shit if the lips synch up or not. Though it's a nice touch if they do, certainly won't affect my descion whether or not to play the game if they don't.

    Actually I'd rather the game not be dubbed at all if the voices are going to be in Japanese anyway. I happen to enjoy reading, but being forced to listen to voices speaking in a language I can't understand is annoying- unless it's done for effect like in Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2) or KOTOR.

    As for the game looking dated? Heh. I don't care, if I can still enjoy NES RPGs is an "old" looking next gen title suppose to phase me?

  18. #18
    Bell (Level 8) GaijinPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Land surrounded by water
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    fuck all that.. the JAP market is like the US in 1983.. they should cater to us.
    It's attitudes like that that cause Al Qaeda to ram airplanes into buildings.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

  19. #19
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    122
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    What do you expect them to do?
    Leave the Japanese voices in and change the subtitles to English.
    That's what I'd want them to do, rather than what I expect them to do. :P
    Why? You'll play the games in Japanese anyway. :P
    That's not true. :/ Almost all my imports are games that were released in Japan only. If a game does get a US release, I'll likely get that version before the Japanese one. Star Ocean 3 is a special exception because I want to play every tri-Ace game as soon as I possibly can. I will buy the US version eventually, but I am a tad annoyed that they did such a lousy job on the localization.

  20. #20
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Nez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glendale, Az
    Posts
    2,699
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    fuck all that.. the JAP market is like the US in 1983.. they should cater to us.
    It's attitudes like that that cause Al Qaeda to ram airplanes into buildings.
    BOOOO!

    Anywho I like when games give you a choice in the language, if Disgaea didn't have this option I wouldn't like it as much. Translated American voice over tend to sound akward of poorly voiced.

    But my fav is no voice at all, I'd rather immagin what there voice sounds like.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Similar Threads

  1. Star Ocean SNES ?'s
    By Lanzo in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM
  2. Star Ocean: First Encounter PSP
    By TurboGenesis in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
  3. Star Ocean 4 Trailer - PS3
    By consolecrusader in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
  4. FA: Brigandine and Star Ocean
    By Nate Nanjo in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 08:12 PM
  5. Wanted: Star Ocean (SFC)...
    By junglehunter in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •