Thread: Where to buy games in Ohio?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Where to buy games in Ohio?

I notice that there are members here from Central Ohio, Dayton and Cleveland. I am sure there are more that I am not finding. I am from Chillicothe (South Central Ohio) and have only Trading Zone and a couple of Buy Sell and Trade shops to feed my addiction.

I make it to Columbus about once a month and to Dayton or Cincinatti (can't wait to see that new stadium!!) about every other month or so Can anyone let me know about places that you frequent for games? I'm really reaching here...anything...throw me a bone...dogbone controller prefferably. I collect for every system there is so don't be shy. Any place that you think is a good place to buy used games...Pawn shops, Buy, Sell and Trades, Game Stores (Game Stop, EB, Video Game Express, etc) or flea markets.

Thanks!!!!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Actually, Savedman, in the PMs we exchanged, you mentioned a good many of the places that I frequent. But I'm not the type of person to hide my sources...I fugure if one of my friends can get something, I have a fighting chance of getting it eventually...

So if you are also a central Ohio scavenger, I apologize, but I am going to divulge a LOT of sources in the following post...I figure the more the merrier in the hunt!!

But now I know why I never see the things I can't afford the next time I go there...

Next year, you will need to get to Cinciclassic www.cinciclassic.com ...great show.

The Columbus area (meaning mainly Columbus, suburbs, and Lancaster, since to most of us in this area, they are the same distance away from each other...) is literally chocked with the big guys...

5 Best Buys
    7 EB's, EBX's, EBGames
    6 Funco's Gamestop's
    2 CompUSAs

at last count that is...

As far as the medium sized guys...Trading Zone's Video Trader and Video Game Express and that type of store...swing a dead cat, you'll hit 16 of 'em...

A good one in Pickerington, also one on the main drag of Grovetucky...er Grove City , you know about the Brice Outlet mall already...the Sawmill Road / Bethel Road area is ripe with used game and cd stores (NW corner of the city), if you are willing to make a drive, Marysville has a very good Trading Zone next to a Wal-Mart.

Small guys...obviously, hard to find...Southland Expo, though dumpy, has 2 nice booths of games. There are a load of thrift stores of varying quality...I tend to focus on the Ohio Thrift Stores on S. High, Alum Creek, and Broad Street, they've been the best to me...

There is still (I think) a decent Trading Zone in Westland Mall, and an old KB that had Game.com stuff last time I checked...near there is a good source for NES games, but it is in New Rome WATCH YOUR SPEED!!!!!

Obviously, I have left a few places out, but I've actually told you a lot of my favorite places in Columbus...

As for Cincy and Dayton... I don't know a lot of places in Cincy itself, don't spend much time there...on I-75 about halfway between Dayton and Cincy are two awesome flea markets: Trader's World, and Turtle Creek. In Dayton itself...Dayton mall has a Funco and a Gamestop, and an EB Gameworld less than 1 mile away...all decent quality...

they also have a Goodwill store that seems to see a lot of video game ewquipment...but sadly, they auction most of their stuff off on www.shopgoodwill.com and it is usually overpriced by the time the auctions end...

Now here is one last point...very few of these places deal in anything older the NES (I've cleaned them out). But if you are focusing in on NES/Genesis/SNES era...you shoulddo extremely well...

Good luck!! AND STAY OUTTA MY STORES :P
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Scott,

You are da man!!!!

Thanks!!!

Jay

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Hey, I'm here to help...

And I figure since we are so close geographically, at some point we will have to get together and do some trading...I want to get a bunch my friends together at my house on (or reasonably close to) my birthday, for trading and game playing, plus I just got a DDRmat...instant party!!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in the cleveland area, and game hunting outside of retail stores is pretty difficult to find here.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey savedman, there is a store in Portsmouth, Ohio. I don't know the name of it but if you go down Galia street (heading east I think) there is a place where the street kinda splits. There is a firestation on one side of the street and directly accross the street is a second hand music/video/dvd/videogame store. I work at Portsmouth Raceway Park during the summer, and when I come to town, I try to check this place out but they close early (4 pm I think) on the weekends. There is also a few goodwills in the area that pan out fairly well every couple of weeks when I would stop by. I hope you find some good stuff. Also, if you're ever gonna be near Huntington or Charleston WV area, shoot me an email ahead of time and maybe I'll show you a few of my hot spots.
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ WiseSalesman: Re: Cleveland--Do you hit flea markets or pawns or thrifts on weekends? As far as flea markets go, I've only been to "The Bazaar" on Brookpark Rd., where there's one VG stall. I've also read about a flea market at the (former) Memphis Drive-in, although I haven't been there and I'm not even sure if they have it during the cold months.

I don't know of any other flea market type things in the city or even reasonably close. I suppose I should ask the sellers when I head down to the Bazaar next time. Unfortunately, I'm in home improvement hell right now, so I haven't had the time to spend leisurely Saturdays cruising the pawns and thrifts. I'm hoping that that's going to be where the pay dirt is, as there are a shitload of pawn shops to visit on the East side (ich bin ein Eastsider!) if you're not scared of the neighborhoods. (Me, I used to drive a cab in town, so when I finally get around to doing it, it'll be like going home again. Sorta.)

Of course, I regularly check out the Funco at Mayfield and Taylor, which is a mile from my house.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, there's someone else on this board from Portsmouth?? What are the odds (@bigdaddychester: I used to live on Carey's Run Road... drove past the Raceway Park every day on my way to town).

I live in Southern California now, but I remember my old haunts. I've had the most luck at the Portsmouth Goodwill on Robinson Ave. That place turned 5200 Death Star Battle, an Astrocade, an Emerson Arcadia 2001, and tons of other rare stuff. Go there as often as you can.

I'm impressed Evans' Variety (that's the place across from the fire station, if I remember correctly) is still around, but they used to be a great place for NES games. Cheap and sometimes rare. The B&B Pawn shop in Portsmouth sometimes had NES games, but rarely.

Be sure to hit the red barns of the Southbound Rt. 23 flea market. I got lots of nice stuff there. A fellow collector nabbed 2600 Crazy Climber there once.

In Chesapeake there is another flea market. I don't know if it has a name but I suspect directions are online smewhere. I know someone who found two Vectrexes there. I found some rare 2600 stuff, Supervision games, and other things.

The Trading Zone in Chillicothe is good, sometimes. I picked up Dragon Warrior III and Mega Man X there.

There's another flea market in Batavia, I think, or at least there used to be. Hit it if possible.

The Hillbilly Flea Market in Asland, KY, used to have a large game/video shop. They seemed to price stuff strangely, but overall I made quite a few nice deals there.

Lucasville, OH holds an annual swap meet, but I forget in what month. If possible, go there. I never found anything spectacular there, but I usualy didn't walk away empty-handed either.

In general, southern Ohio/Northern Ky. is a good area to find old games because it's a poor region. People can't afford to upgrade to new systems right away and tend to hang onto old games longer. I haven't had nearly the same luck in SoCal, although I've managed a few nice finds here too.

And, while in Portsmouth, you absolutely must eat at Mrs. Renison's Donuts on Second Street. No place in the world has better donuts. :)
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! I had no idea what was within a 60 mile radius of me! I have been to the flea market on 23 south and of course the Trading Zone here in Chillicothe (as a matter of fact, I'm going there just as soon as I get off work!). The Portsmouth info is good to know. Sounds like there is alot going on down there. Scott clued me in on some great places in Columbus so it sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for all the help! If you guys think of anything else let me know!!

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@bagora: Gah! The east side is just damn creepy.....then again, I went there for a concert a couple of times (at "The Pit") and I haven't been mugged yet. Maybe I'll take a friend over there with me or something.....as far as "The Bazaar", would you believe I've never even heard of it? It's definitely something I'll be checking out (at least once the weather gets warmer in the spring). I'm not sure where the memphis drive-in is, but I think a friend of mine knows (heard him talk about it). I'll try to get some info from him and let you know what I find out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Memphis flee closes when the drive in closes for the year. Not too much game stuff to be had there. Occasionally you will get a Video game vender there. Ebay has really ruined hunting there. I can't tell you how many times I've heard about what such and such goes for on epay.

If your in the area, you might want to stop by the Video Game Connection 4824 Memphis Ave. They carry everything from Pong to present day stuff. I've worked out a few deals with the Owner Mike Gedeon mgedeon216@aol.com http://www.videogameconnection.com/ via email and picked them up.