Thread: resurfacing video game and music discs...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default resurfacing video game and music discs...

Hey all,

I basically want to know the details regarding cd resurfacing. Details such as cost, who commonly does it, what actually happens to the disc during and after the process is done, etc. I'm curious about the ins and outs of the procedure. I have some pretty badly scratched up cds that I used a variety of do-it-yourself type products on with no positive results. Either a cd came out more scratched than before or had the same amount of wear on it. I've heard that resurfacing the disc works out better than most repair products do - so I figured I might as well ask someone in the know. Any and all help is appreciated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some video rental places offer this service. They have to service their own media, so why not charge to do yours?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only repaired a disk once. Had some small boy visiting and they scratched a GC disk so that the game would no longer load (those little shits).

I Used a Disk Dr and it worked great.

They sell them in Gamestop/funcoland and Walmart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And EB

I can vouch for their worth, I've brought both game and music CD's back from unplayable to works just fine.

Make sure there are no label-side scratches tho, those are death =/

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Stay Away from those disc doctors, thay are nothining but junk. They do more damage than good to discs. The people at my local Funco told me that people kept returning them because they diddn't "fix" discs; they just replace the scratches with a swirling pattern. One of the worst products I have ever seen.

However, profesional machines will actually resurface the disc and can fix the discs. Often video rental stores have these and will fix discs for a small cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The point of Disc/Game Dr. isn't making the discs look new. If they would, there wouldn't be pro machines. I've rescued a couple of discs that skipped or didn't even play with Dr. and although they have swirly marks, at least they work now.

Would I pay $2/disc to make my games look like brand-spanking new? On some games sure. Then again there's no-one who does this kind of service around here.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood
    Stay Away from those disc doctors, thay are nothining but junk. They do more damage than good to discs. The people at my local Funco told me that people kept returning them because they diddn't "fix" discs; they just replace the scratches with a swirling pattern. One of the worst products I have ever seen.

However, profesional machines will actually resurface the disc and can fix the discs. Often video rental stores have these and will fix discs for a small cost.
    Not junk, specifically. They work fine for audio CDs -- which tend to keep moving in the same direction as you play them -- but I don't know that I'd trust them for my games. Data CDs spend more time stopping, starting and moving to different disc positions, so there's more chance of a read error if scratches are present. And since Disc Doctors seem to add more scratches than they take away, there's more potential for problems.

I've had better-looking and more effective results on games with those filler pastes you see everywhere -- simply polish it in and buff it out, like a wax. I think certain disc players are also more picky about what they will and won't read -- both my Saturn and my Xbox seem more finicky than, say, the PSone or the GameCube.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those "swirly" marks that everyone refers to are not hurting the discs at all by Disc Doctors. If you look straight into the the cd, you won't be able to see them, only when it's on an angle. When the CD lens reads the disc, it doesn't see the swirls, and essentially reads it fine. I've used them before, and they work, they've rescued more than my fair share of games...thanks to my younger brother scratching them to death. But I recommend them if resurfacing isn't available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood

I highly disagree, I've used them on at least half a dozen CD's both audio and game that either skipped crazily (audio) or just completely wouldn't play (game) and they worked perfectly afterwards.

That's not to say they can rescue every single disk no matter how badly damaged, but they are most definitely NOT junk, and they do work.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

southern louisiana and southern mississippi residents can head to the gametrader and we fix all discs for 6bucks, and double sided dvd's for 8 bucks. they come out perfect.

thegametrader.com

shameless plug....
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirgeoph
    southern louisiana and southern mississippi residents can head to the gametrader and we fix all discs for 6bucks, and double sided dvd's for 8 bucks. they come out perfect.

thegametrader.com

shameless plug....

this wouldnt happen to be the game trader owned by mike hudson would it?
    In mississippi is it in a mall?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if its the edgewater mall, then yes and no... that store was "gametraders" with an s... we bought him out and now run the store as "the gametrader", sans the "s".
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirgeoph
    if its the edgewater mall, then yes and no... that store was "gametraders" with an s... we bought him out and now run the store as "the gametrader", sans the "s".

Thats funny
    I actually use to be the assistant manager when his first retail store opened.

I kinda figured he coudnt have still been the owner because of how clean the place looked.he was always kinda ghetto in his lake city florida store .