Thread: People beating you to rummage sales..

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default People beating you to rummage sales..

This happends to me a lot. But now this really sucks. Well 2 days ago I saw an ad in the paper for a garage sale. It said nintendo games. So I look up her number on white pages.com and get it. So I call the lady and she says to call back today. So I did and she said her son will call back tonight and that somebody else called and then stopped by and bought some super nintendo games and she didnt know how that person got the number. That is just crazy. I called my freind sam which is the only other person who would do this and he said he didnt go there. I bet that person calls a bunch of the houses with sales first then gets the games. I bet he knows I exciest cvause i get to rummage sales early somtimes then he prolly comes along and asks for games and gets the "someone already bought them". ahhh.
    Well Im prolly goin there tonight and Im going to ask what games he sold (gonna be boxed chrono trigger, and megaman x3 prolly). SO anything like this happen to you guys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no...but something similar...last year i saw a wooder PS2 cabinet w/ holes in back for wire shelves (not a glass cabinet, just wooden ,like retail to sell games) I go back later w/ my dad and a van (i wouldent have been able to pick it up by myself) and by the time i got back someone had destroyed it....broken the wood off one side and such....it was repairable but it had also rained a bit...im still upset till this day

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

crap. They called back and listed a bunch of crappy games. The mom I talked to and didnt know the names of the other games that were sold. She said it was a teenager. I will find the person...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh, that was me i coming to steal all your deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

that sucks...i dont go to many of them though, so it only happened to me once
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I missed out on a great Atari 2600 sale once. Guy put an ad in the school paper of the college I went to. I know for a fact that there are no other retro gamers at this school. The ad says he's selling a mint Atari 2600, box, and about 50 complete games for 40 bucks. I saw that, skipped my next class, went home and called him. Turns out, some asshole who didn't go to the school snaked the deal from me about 10 minutes before I called. If only I hadn't gone to my first class I would have had it!! So, the lesson here is, skip class or you will miss the good deals.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never happened to me... but I don't go to garage sales. Every time I do I find nothing, so...

It is kind of a defeatest attitude, I know - but anway.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    crap. They called back and listed a bunch of crappy games. The mom I talked to and didnt know the names of the other games that were sold. She said it was a teenager. I will find the person...
    FINISH HIM!!!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

That mysterious and crafty "someguy"
    E'er first to the items I would buy
    Talked about, never seen....
    So I plot and I scheme..
    To beat him next time.... or I'll cry..

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think after all these years i've finally learned to let it go. you cant lose what you never had or something like that. a lot of times i'll be out hunting and some seller will ask what i'm looking for so i say "videogames". if the guy starts telling me how he just sold some big game lot earlier that morning i just cut him off with a "yeah thats cool, thanks". its the same as if the games were never there in the first place, by that point its just not worth thinking about*

*unless i spy the buyer walking around the sale holding the games, then i'll stalk em for a while and if they look sane i try and talk to them, invite them to the trademeet and so on.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

after countless disapointments i just go drifting car/ bus/walk/ to get to the sale asap ...sometime i make frequent stops to check out stuff and garage sales...on the way to the sale ..after i get to my intended (sale) detination the thing i came for is usually gone, but for all the stop i make on the way i usally find some other goodies ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lots of times I'll see there's a new garage sale along the street. I sorta look at the sign and go "eh."

I know that there's always a chance I'm missing out on something BIG...but for me, getting a $7 game for $.50-$3 isn't a big deal anymore. Only was a couple times anyhow. I don't worry about it.

I guess I've become jaded after looking through some dozens of rolls of nickels in time. My motto has become "If you find it [in your change], it's not rare."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I missed a complete Amiga computer with 100 games for $15. It was in a free classified paper that comes out each thursday. I call that Thursday evening but I was already too late. I didn't ask what the games were. Sometimes it's better not to know.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom knew this guy who owned a local mini-storage and she told him to keep an eye out for video games. (if people dont pay their storage bill, the owners sell all of their crap) He call up one day and says hes got an Intellivision and a bunch of games, and an arcade machine he wants to sell me+ he would hold them! He told me to come by his "yard sale" at 8:00 the next morning. We got there early at 7:30, just in time to watch some dude walk off with a box of Atari 2600 games+console!
    I still got my Intellivision2 but was a little burned that I missed the Atari.

I talked to the guy who beet me to it, and he seemed like he was a collector too. He asked if I had all 750 US Nintendo games for a start.
    Support Medical Marijuana