Thread: Check out games from your local library?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Check out games from your local library?

I just found this while browsing Google.

http://www.pfpl.org/video_games.html

I knew that some libraries have movies to check out but I had no idea they also had video games. I don't know where Park Forest is but I think I need to move there.

Has anyone ever checked out games from their library?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty cool. I remember our city library carrying some PC games before this whole net thing took off. Needless to say you had to wait forever until it was your turn to loan it.

I use them mainly for mags and CDs now but they have ordered videogame books on my request, too.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

NO.

Not if I can help it.

It's bad enough 90% of the people that come in just want movies or the internet. I don't need to deal with MORE damn stupid trash people wanting video games.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note that it's not a borrowing, it's a low cost rental.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty neat. I think our library does the same. I know for a fact we have dvds and those are vultured like crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My old Library used to do this, Thats how I figured out what games to ask for before chirsmass. Id rent it for free for a week then ask for it. Good times. But I dont know if they do it now or not.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There was actually a thread about libraries and video games a while back, and someone had a long post about why libraries shouldn't rent video games and movies. I can't remember who it was.

Lemme search for it.

Found it.

TELLIN' IT LIKE IT IS

It was Kid Ice's post in ubersaurus's thread, and I agree with that. Video Games, Movies, etc do NOT belong in a library. Libraries are for educational materials and books, a place where people can go to brush up on there knowledge of Mark Twain or Edgar Allen Poe, or read the latest Stephen King novel. Or rent a classic film such as Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Casablanca, The Ten Commandments or Lord Of The Flies. I'd even go as far to say that book adaptations to film such as The Green Mile or A Walk To Remember are okay as well.

Libraries are not available so John Doe can go get a free rental on Along Came Polly, Cabin Fever & Soul Plane. And libraries are DEFINATELY not for Jimmy Gamer to go pick up Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to play free for a weekend.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The libraries carry these materials so that people who ordinarily would never come, will come in to get that Soul Plane and maybe take a freakin' book with them. It's an attempt to lure people in with candy and maybe convince a few to eat their vegetables too.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I actually think you're wrong chad, I don't believe that's why they carry them. And most of the time, I don't believe people go to rent a movie and leave with an actual novel without the intention of getting one before setting foot in the library.

Now, renting a movie and leaving with a "How To Draw Garfield", "1000 best 'Yo Mama' Jokes", "Ebert's Guide To Movie Reviews" or "Voodoo for Dummies" is a different story.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I've bought games that have had library stickers on them (NES actually!), but mine doesn't carry them.

Now, I agree with movies being carried. Three times in high school I had to watch movies I did not own and went to the library for them. I had to watch Jaws and compare it to Moby Dick for example (it's actually amazing how similar they are by the way ). Sure, I'll likely never need to watch something like 48 Hrs. for a project, but are books not an entertainment medium as well? I just started a book called Dust that's about mites which go nuts and eat people. That's educational? No. It's entertainment, just like a movie.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    I actually think you're wrong chad, I don't believe that's why they carry them. And most of the time, I don't believe people go to rent a movie and leave with an actual novel without the intention of getting one before setting foot in the library.

Now, renting a movie and leaving with a "How To Draw Garfield", "1000 best 'Yo Mama' Jokes", "Ebert's Guide To Movie Reviews" or "Voodoo for Dummies" is a different story.
    When I asked my town's librarian why they carried DVD movies, the answer she gave is what I posted. So, basically, maybe not all libraries do it for that reason, but I know for a fact that the library in Plainville, MA does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree, cause I like my movies.

Hear me out, I rarely go down to the library just to rent out a bunch of dvds/cds. I usually will pick something up if I'm along with a friend/family member or in the area. We have a limit of 3 DVDs and 3 CDs tops. I have yet to see anyone get bent out of shape and our selection is very cultural. We have TONS of anime, foreign films, and a FEW new movies... but new movies is not the focus. I like my library a lot, I just can't get over how over 1/2 the items are Anime!
    Mwerp.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey The libary where I go have lots and lots of VHS tapes and a good number of DVD's both in fiction and no fiction, as well as CD-Rom's Mostly Encilopedias and educational stuff they do have Sim Golf though and I don't know what else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, I only check out CDs. Sometimes I'll get one that doesn't skip.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Check out games from your local library?

Quote Originally Posted by classic gamer
    I just found this while browsing Google.

http://www.pfpl.org/video_games.html

I knew that some libraries have movies to check out but I had no idea they also had video games. I don't know where Park Forest is but I think I need to move there.

Has anyone ever checked out games from their library?
    lacation:400 Lakewood Blvd
    Park Forest, IL 60466
    Phone: (708) 748-3731
    Fax: (708) 748-8829
    Emailfs@sslic.net
    >the last time i went to the public library was 3 years ago..........maybe i should return that book(some japanese camic) i took out...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I'll say about the videogames what I said about the movies and CDs. If you're lending culturally-relevant classics that everyone should know about and experience- the Beatles, Wizard of Oz, etc. - I have no problem with that.

So if a video store wants to lend out 2600 Space Invaders, Gunstar Heroes, and Castlevania SOTN, fine. If they lend out Big Mutha Truckas and Legends of Wrestling 2, it's the goddamn mall, plain and simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think my library used to loan out NES games back in the late 80's early 90's, but they don't loan games of any kind out anymore. Just movies and music now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    The libraries carry these materials so that people who ordinarily would never come, will come in to get that Soul Plane and maybe take a freakin' book with them. It's an attempt to lure people in with candy and maybe convince a few to eat their vegetables too.
    Nah, the reason we do what we do with movies is to get a higher circ. More circulation=more money for our budget.

I'll tell you right now, people who come in for DVDs or computers do NOT come in for books. They don't even look at those shelves. It won't be any different for games. They'd probably get stolen far more often, for that matter.

I wish I worked in one of the libraries that charge for computer use and movie rentals...they are so much less busy.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives