Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Gen Controllers Should they be wireless?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Next Gen Controllers Should they be wireless?

Do you think that the next generation of controllers should be completely wireless? I think they should. Also do you think they should have wireless networking? Also I want to keep this fanboy free. So please don't post if you only want to bash systems we know nothing about. :P
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, there is now excuse for them not to be. The wavebird for instance demonstrates the wonder of what a first party wireless controller can be. I don't know however how console will deal with the loss of reverse compatability to old controllers though. I would also be a little worried about a standard like Bluetooth, I just saw a feature on Bluetoothe snarfing on The Screen Savers. As any next gen console will liekly be more fully integrated onto the net, what would happen if such a controller port allowed access to something like an xbox live account? Wireless is no doubt the future but it has to be done securely, I'm not worried about people interfering with my game, but there are other considerations. A crucial part of an Xbox chipless mod for instance in done through the use of a solid state device plugged into the controller, it would stand to reason that if the microsoft xbox controller in its current form were wireless (completely so, current ones don't utilize the expansion slots) could someone remotely crash your console through the intentional botching of savegame hack?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, but they absolutely need to do it right. The wavebird rocks, but we shouldn't have to be chnaging battereis. Wireless controllers with a base to charge them, and as an add-on option, a spare battery (unless they use standard batteries). A rechargable base just make life a lot easier, and a spare would ensure never finding your controller dead. They could even implement an option that would always pause the game when the battery got to a certain point, before it totally ran out.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I am totally spoiled by wireless controllers now. I love the Wavebird and just got a Logitech Cordless Action Controller for the PS2 and love it too. Just need to get a Logitech for the Xbox and I'll be all set

If the next generation of consoles doesn't come wireless out of the box I will be very disappointed. I like the idea of a rechargable base, but with the lifespan of the batteries in these controllers (Logitech claims 300 hours without rumble), I'm not sure how necessary that will be. Either way, I want wireless!
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

would I like them to be? Hell yes. My wavebird is sweet sweet sweet.

should they be? No. If companies want to stick with corded controllers for whatever reason, then they have that right. I won't be pissed if they don't want to make a complete conversion to wireless.
    SO not the Drama.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rechargable bases are awkward...I rather pay for batteries than take up yet another outlet.

besides the battery life is so long I sometimes forget that it has batteries

but yeah there is no excuse for a lack of 1st party wireless controllers for the next gen systems

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'm on board with the wireless controller revolution. I have one for my Gamecube and two for my PS2. It's *awsome*.

I'd like to see the technology embedded into the console but I still want the choice. I like buying multiple controllers for when my friends come over, but I'm not sure I'd bother buying four wireless controllers if I could get 2 & 2 and have it come out a bit cheaper.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I for one am COMPLETELY against wireless controllers, unless they are an option - cord available.
    I don't care how infrequent the battery change is. I DON'T WANT TO BUY BATTERIES. A proprietary rechargable battery is even WORSE. What happens years down the road when the company no longer supports it? then, if we are LUCKY, we can pay batteries plus or radio shack an exorbitant fee to get our controllers working again.
    No thanks, Vladimir.
    Give me a corded controller 'kthx.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    Yes, but they absolutely need to do it right. The wavebird rocks, but we shouldn't have to be chnaging battereis. Wireless controllers with a base to charge them, and as an add-on option, a spare battery (unless they use standard batteries). A rechargable base just make life a lot easier, and a spare would ensure never finding your controller dead. They could even implement an option that would always pause the game when the battery got to a certain point, before it totally ran out.
    The charging dock is a GREAT idea. This guy summed up my thoughts on this. Although the WaveBird doesn't die much on me at all... so it isn't a big hassle at all.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much agree with the above. What would be IDEAL would be a corded/cordless controller. Plug the cord in if you want, or if you're out of batteries, or if your charge dies.

There's just no reason they can't put a cord jack on the back of the controller so you can plug it in and play corded as well.

Recharging base would be very nice as well...
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes they should, but they won't while they can still make people pay out an extra £25 apiece to upgrade their original controller to a wireless one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind wires.

The only thing that worriess me is putting them away and wraping the cords around the controller. I've hear that it breaks the wires inside, does anyone now if this is true or not?

Sorry for going slightly off topic.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would LOVE to have them with wireleass controllers, but i guess it won't happen
    -Jan

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    The charging dock is a GREAT idea. This guy summed up my thoughts on this. Although the WaveBird doesn't die much on me at all... so it isn't a big hassle at all.
    Both really good points - and both the reason we won't see wireless controllers packaged with a system anytime soon. Too expensive to make it all work.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

cordless would be nice ..............if

A) you could plug in a cord and use it corded (for the future, when it might not be possible to replace the batteries, or in the case that you don't have a spare charged up and still want to play)

B) they had an amazingly long battery time or a charging base

C) i would only want them to have a charging base if the base plugged into a port on the back of the console so the system would not take up 2 power outlets (i already have enough things plugged in, i dont have room for 1 plug, let alone 2)

all in all though, cords don't really bother me, its just nice to not have to worry about them.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Completely against the idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A corded/cordless option would be the best.

The charger could be built into the controller, and the controllers could come with rechargeable batteries. My Sony Discman does this. If you plug it into the wall, it doubles as a charger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, because there's enough electronic smog in the world...and it makes my tinfoil hat tingle anyway.

I'd actually like just somewhat lighter cords. I don't mind cords much, really, unless they're attached to mice. However, there's not really room for me to walk around with my current game setup; I might feel differently elsewise.

Maybe give each wired/wireless controller a wireless base station that plugs into a wall for current? Then you would have lighter units (in the case of one with a wire to the base station, otherwise you wouldn't want to put a relay in the base station 'cuz that would be redundant and confusing), and they would be recharged much more easily, plus you wouldn't have battery drain (in the case of units with wires from the controller to the base station, again). It should strike you as being only marginally useful, but I'd imagine it to be the ultimate in cord extension. Surely no crazier than that old Sega Mark III Telecon Pack (which turned the console's video into short-range RF waves)!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Don't forget things like the "don't use a wavebird and gba wireless adapter at the same time" conflicts. I agree that the wireless/wired option is a good idea, but I think that would work best as a non-pack in controller myself. I also support the idea of a GOOD built-in cordspool system, ie the controller holds it own cord.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gone.
    Last edited by Neonsolid; 07-06-2007 at 05:30 AM.