Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn import strategy games

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saturn import strategy games

WOOHOO! Today was a great day, I got 3 new imports in the mail at once!

Godzilla Rettousinnkann
    Master of Monsters Neo Generations
    GranDread

Godzilla is pretty cool, and I think I've figured out how to play it somewhat. Master of Monsters is pretty cool too, but a little more difficult to figure out. GranDread is pretty cool also, but it seems alot more difficult to figure it out.

So if anyone has any idea where I can get some help with any of these new games in English, I'd really appreciate it. Trial and error has only been a little helpful so far, and I haven't figured out what to do to get them all going.

I guess they're not as bad as an RPG would be, but they're all still very text heavy and most of the commands are in Japanese, so I don't know what does what yet. I didn't think that any of them would be too hard to figure out how to play, but none of them are as easy as I thought they would be.

Also, if you know of any other good import strategy games for the Saturn, please advise me with your suggestions. I prefer non-RPG type games, but I do enjoy some tactical/strategy RPG's too, so if you know of some that I should have to go with these, I don't have any others in my collection yet.

Shining Force 3 parts 1,2,3 + bonus disk, yeah I already know it. Someday!
    Dragon Force 2, yeah I already know about this one too, it's on my list too.
    Langrisser series, yes I'd have to be an idiot to not want every single one!
    Terra Phantastica, I don't know much about this one, I'd like to know more.
    Arcana Strikes, I don't know much about this one either, but it looks cool.

Any others or anymore input on these?

PS: I'm also gonna need help with Shin Kaitei Gunkan, I just bought it today.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I sure could use alot of help with all of these new strategy games that I have now! I still have no idea what I'm doing, but they're cool as hell! But I underestimated how much knowledge of Japanese is pretty much required to be able to play them and do well. I knew that it would be very helpful to know some, but I didn't think that they'd all be so hard without knowing any! I'm able to make things happen in most of them, but without knowing what all the commands are, I never know what's gonna happen when I push a button! So I'm not really playing, I'm just kinda watching. But they're still pretty neat though. I just wish that I actually knew what the heck I'm doing!

Godzilla is the easiest one to figure out, but I'm still not entirely sure what I'm doing with it. I think I've figured out most of the commands, and I've gotten pretty far with it, but I could get alot farther if I actually knew how to play. I've just been guessing my way through it, and it's pretty obvious that you need to destroy all the monsters as fast as possible before they destroy too much of the city, but that's really all that I'm sure of about it.

Master of Monsters is alot more complicated though. There's just way too many commands and choices to know what you're doing without figuring it all out somehow. But I guess I can always just play Disciples of Gaia on the PSX. I didn't know that it was a translation of this game when I got this. I thought that this was a different game from that one, but it's not, it's just the same game in Japanese instead of English, but there are some slight differences besides that. So I suppose that playing Disciples of Gaia would help me figure out alot of stuff in this one, but it's still alot of stuff to figure out. So I dunno, maybe I just wasted my money on this one, but I didn't pay very much for it, so it doesn't really matter. Master of Monsters is one of my all time favorite games anyway, so it's kinda cool to have a Japanese one.

GranDread looks really cool, from what I've seen of it on the net, but I still can't figure out enough about it to really do very much of anything with it yet. So I think that it's the hardest one to figure out. After the introduction, I get taken to a screen with me and all my fleet members on it, but I can't seem to do anything with it or do anything else after that. I know that I'm supposed to be doing something here, but I have no idea what. And I know that it's a hex-based wargame, so it sure would be nice if I could actually get to the hex-based warfare part, instead of being stuck on this screen. I know that I'm supposed to be fighting some kind of battle in space, so it's a space warfare game, but that's about all that I know. I'm really lost with this one. I've still seen more of it in screenshots than I've seen of it from playing, and that's really sad, because the screenshots that I've seen of it look very cool.

Shin Kaitei Gunkan seems to be the coolest one so far. It's very complicated and it has alot of commands, but I'm doing well enough with it to get pretty far into it without knowing what I'm doing, so I guess it's probably medium difficulty. Real cool story too, something about Atlantis rising and launching war on us, or something like that. So you have your own forces and a bunch of UN forces to help you fight the Atlanteans, and of course their weapons tend to be more advanced than yours, so that's probably why you have so much help. It's kinda strange though, because it mostly seems to play itself. You don't have very many units of your own, and you can't control all the UN forces, so mostly you just watch the Atlanteans and the UN fight each other. They always seem to prefer attacking the UN forces over you too, because your weapons are alot more advanced than the UN's weapons. And you have this really wild flying submarine that can do just about anything, so it's very unusual that it's one of your weapons, but apparently it's your main unit and most of the story seems to revolve around all it's crew members.

So I really wish that I could find a translation of all the manuals for all these games, because that would really help me out alot. I can only get so far with guessing my way through them, and without knowing what I'm doing, I'm probably not gonna win. But I'm still enjoying them all anyway. I just wish that I knew what I was doing, so I could enjoy them more. I hate having such cool looking games that seem so interesting with no idea what I'm doing! This is why I've never imported any RPG's. I'd love to, but it would just drive me crazy trying to guess my way through them with no idea what the story was, and trying to play all these strategy games is pretty much the same thing. I'm as lost as I can be, and only a translation will really help me!

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In terms of pure stretegy games the Saturn doesn't have much to offer. There's 2 Daisenryaku games, Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2, as well as some games made by Koei. The first Daisenryaku game was released as Iron Storm in the US. other than that I can't think of anything else on the system.

If you like Dragon Force Soldnerschild kind of looks samliar to it. If you really like Dragon Force you might like it. I personally don't like the Dragon Force games myself so I can't recommend it.

Arcana is one of those card kind of RPG games. Never really played it so I can't say more than that.

For the Langrisser games Langrisser 4 is the best one in the series. Langrisser 3 is the worst of the series and you might want to stay away from it. Dramatic Edition has Langrisser 1 and 2 and part 2 has one new ending as well as a whole new light route. Langrisser 5 is kind of a love it or hate it game with people.

Terra Phantastica
    From the few people I've talked to they said they didn't like it. I only played the first level of it. It looked like it used a kind triangle/rock, paper, scissors like Langrisser and Fire Emblem use. Each kind of attack used a certain number of points. There were healing spots on the battle fields that if you stand on them you would recover 100 points each round.

The Saturn has a pretty big library of stretegy/RPGs

Mysteria
    This is the only other kind of Shining Force games that was released in the US. It's pretty short less than 10 hours to beat and pretty easy. It does have a lot of skills and stuff to learn as well as having a bonus dungeon if you want to play it.

Riglordsaga 2
    Sequel to the above game. It's much longer about 35 to 40 hours to finish and feature new skills like a person can turn into a dragon and pick up a teammate and carry them across a bottomless pit. There's some translation for this game but I really don't know of to what extent. If you like the first game in the series I would recommend this one.

Black Matrix
    This is probably one of the best stretegy/RPG for the system. There's one really good faq for it.

Wachenroder
    There's at least a translation for this game.

Some other stretegy/RPGs that I really haven't played.

Farland Story/Saga 3 in all
    Super Robot Wars 2 of them
    Shadow of the Tusk
    Sakura Wars part stretegy
    Ronde Shin Megami Tensei stretegy/RPG
    Funky Fantasy

Also the Saturn had a fair amount of games that appeared on other systems like Master Of Monsters with US versions but got ported to the Saturn later with import only versions.

Feda There's a translation for this one.
    Ogre Battle
    Vandal Hearts
    Tactics Ogre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

COOL! Thanks for all the info! From what I've been able to gather though, there's FOUR Daisenryaku games for the Saturn. World Advanced, World Advanced 2, World Advanced 3, & Strong Style. But I think that the World Advanced 2 & 3 are actually just add-on mission disks for World Advanced, and Strong Sytle may just be an add-on mission disk too. So I dunno, I'd like to get all of them, but there's too many and it's too hard to tell one from the other without knowing the exact product numbers of each one, so you can verify that you aren't just buying another copy of one you already have.

I just bought a copy of Ginga Eiyu Densetsu (Legend of Galactic Heroes) today, but I understand that there's also a Ginga Eiyu Densetsu Plus that was released about a year later, so I'm trying to find out what the difference is between the two, and of course I'm trying to locate the other one. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna like it, or exactly what it is, but I know that it's a sci-fi strategy game based on an anime series, so I'll probably enjoy it at least as much as I'm enjoying the Shin Kaitei Gunkan (New Undersea Battleship) which is proving to be well worth what I had to pay for it and then some.

I'm also very interested in Quo Vadis & Quo Vadis 2, but I really don't know anything about them, other than they are strategy games, but that's about it. I wouldn't mind picking up Gotha, Gotha 2, & Gotha World sometime also, but I already have Gotha 2 in the form of Heir of Zendor, so I guess that I don't really need that one, unless I just wanna have it to go with the other two which were never translated for us. There's quite a few others that I'm interested in also, but I still don't know enough about them yet to know if I really want them. There's actually a ton of import strategy games for Saturn.

But like you said, most of them are strategy RPG's, not really pure strategy games, and I'm more interested in hex-based wargames and other stuff like that than I am in any of the tactical RPG's. I like the strategy RPG's too, but they're even heavier on all the Japanese text, and if you can't read any of the dialogue, you're missing out on half the game, not to mention what may be some valuable information that you need to know to win all the battles! So for now, I'm still steering clear of them, but all the ones you mentioned do sound very interesting, and there's still at least that many more that you didn't mention too, so I could go broke trying to collect all the strategy RPG's.

So for now, I'm just looking forward to Ginga Eiyu Densetsu, and finding out what it and Ginga Eiyu Densetsu Plus are all about, while I try to learn my way around Shin Kaitei Gunkan in the meantime. And I've really gotta figure out how to get past that fleet setup screen in GranDread too, so I can check out the actual warfare! I know that I'm supposed to be setting up my ship, or the flight formation of my fleet, or something on that screen, but I haven't guessed the right combination of buttons to actually do it yet. So it really sucks, because I wanna see what the rest of the game looks like!

Oh yeah, and I just got a copy of Tactics Formula in the mail recently that I still haven't checked out yet also. I think that I'm really gonna enjoy that one alot too, because it's a Formula 1 racing board game, kinda like Speed Circuit from Avalon Hill, if you've ever heard of that old classic. I used to play it alot, and I was told that this is pretty much the same thing in video game form, complete with multiple tracks to race on, just like Speed Circuit had, and it's for up to 4 players also, again just like Speed Circuit was, so I know that it's gonna rock! But I guess I'll have to play all 4 sides of it by myself.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I've really done it this time! I think I'm gonna have to learn quite a bit of Japanese to even begin to have a clue of what the heck I'm supposed to be doing in Ginga Eiyu Densetsu. I'm making alot of really interesting things happen, but I have no idea how, and I have no idea what their significance is! But it's very cool. I even managed to trigger a scene of some footage from the anime! So I'm sure that it must be packed with that kinda stuff, if you can figure out how to set it off. I've gotten some battles going on too, but the combat system is very unusual. I thought that this was gonna be a hex-based wargame like GranDread, but it's not. I'm not even sure how to describe it. More menus than you can imagine, and just as many different views. But the dialogue sequences are very nice, with lots of very nice art. So whatever it is, it's certainly not boring, but it's definitely not for gaijin!

It's kinda like a really complex and extremely dramatic Japanese version of Battlestar Galactica. Lots of incredibly large fleets of incredibly huge battle cruisers, and all going at each other like it's armageddon or something. So laser beams are constantly firing and ships are constantly exploding. Or at least they are when you're in battle. But even more interesting than that is the fact that you seem to be able to fight these battles in a multitude of different ways in different modes. I really wish that I could read Japanese, because it looks even more complex than the most complex Koei game that I've ever played. No telling what all the buttons and all the options do, but you sure won't get tired of looking at the same screen all the time! But the coolest one is the 3D view. You can rotate it in any direction, zoom in or out, and even change sides. So you can view the battles from either side!

But that's really all that I can tell you about it. Lots and lots of dialogue too, so it looks like I'm missing out on a very rich storyline. It actually seems to be more like a space warfare RPG than a strategy game. So I'm in way over my head now, but I'm definitely gonna have to get Ginga Eiyu Densetsu Plus, if for no other reason than to make sure that I own the rest of the story! I don't think it's something that I'm ever gonna be able to understand well enough to get very far in it, but if I try to master it anyway, I'm sure gonna know alot more Japanese than I do right now! If I had known that it was gonna be like this, I probably would've just left it alone. But now that I've passed the point of no return, I guess I'm gonna have to try to translate what I can of all the buttons at the very least. I thought the games I had already were gonna be alot to learn, but this one puts them all to shame!

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I remember There were only 2 main Daisenryaku games. The 2nd one might of been called End of the Millinium if I remember right. As well as the Sakusen one which is the one with the added missions. The first one got a Sega Saturn Collection release. They should be pretty easy to tell apart. You could just look at the copyright years to figure which one was first and which one was second. The Sakusen one says on the disk or cd case and I think it might have something in english that says like extra mission or something like that. All of them are pretty cheap and shouldn't cost much more than $15.00 used on average.

I tried one of the Quovadis game and didn't really remember it beening that great.

I generally don't play too many purely stretegy games myself but prefer the stretegy/RPG more. Generally most of the important info that you see text wise that isn't story related is like the secenario prologues with win lose conditions. Sometimes it will mention that you have so many turns to do this mission or you have to defend someone and if they die you lose. Sometimes there will alos be dialogue that mentions the bosses weakness. The only other thing id that sometimes there's dialogue between characters that mention that one guy knows someone on the opposite army and a lot of times you have to use a certain person to recruit that person to your side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See, that kinda stuff is why I avoid all the strategy RPG's. How would I ever know all that stuff if I can't read Japanese? As for the Daisenryaku games, there's definitely 4 different ones, and all of them have different covers. I don't have any links to any pics of them, but they're all distinctly different.

World Advanced
    World Advanced Iron Storm
    Advanced World War
    Advanced World War Strong Style

There may be more games that are just mission packs for one or more of these, but these all have very different covers that I've seen, so I can tell them all apart now. It's about the same situation as the import Nobunaga games for the Saturn, there's 4 different ones of those too, and all of them have very different covers also, but they're usually all just lumped together under Nobunaga and listed as a strategy game, like there's only just one!

Anyhow, I have someone looking for the Ginga Eiyu Densetsu Plus for me now, so hopefully he can get it for me and it won't be too expensive. He said he'd let me know WHEN he found it, not IF he found it, so I guess he's pretty confident that he can find it in the condition that I want it to be in.

The next one on my list after that one is Taiheiyou No Arashi 2, also known as Pacific Storm 2. Apparently it's become a pretty popular competitor to the Daisenryaku games. The latest version, part 4, is currently an import PC title. It looks really sweet too. They seem to come out for the PC first, and then later for the consoles. So part 2 is the only one that was ever made for the Saturn, but it came in 2 different versions, a regular set and a boxed set. At first I thought that it was just PTO 2, but it isn't, although you can get that for the Saturn also. There's PTO, PTO 2, PTO 3 for the Saturn, but they all go by their Japanese name, Teikoku No Ketsudan, or by Admiral's Decision.

So I'm catching on to all this stuff, and finding out the differences between them all, but finding the actual games is alot harder, especially if you're trying to find them all new sealed, like I am. They can all be found mint complete easily enough, but then you never know just how mint they really are until after you've already spent alot of money on them, so I just look for sealed.

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default fyi...

two things (i'd write a longer post, but i'm in the middle of halo 2):

one: shadows of the tusk should be your next strat game. the menus are in english, and if you get a sealed one, you'll also get a nice set of cards with cool matsushita art.

two: if you have an xbox, kemco is bringing out a daisenryaku game here later this month: Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics. I did a preview here if you want to check it out: http://www.bonusstage.com/art1843.html
    oh: advanced world war and daisenryaku strong style differ in that one is wwII units, and the other has more modern vehicles.

well, three things: quo vadis and quo vadis 2 are COMPLETELY different in terms of gameplay and presentation. part one is a space battle strategy sim (turn based), while two is a combination of RTS and action with mech suits and a more anime-style presentation. they're both tough to play if you've no language skills, but some stuff can be figured out if you're patient...

gotha, gotha 2 and gotha world are also different from each other, but the gameplay and overall plot remain the same. the first game is a lot rougher looking than part two, and i believe gotha world has more rpg elements...

g.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also: arcana strikes is pretty decent, and not to be confused with arcana for the super nintendo (which was released in japan as card master). it's pretty plain-looking, but is fairly easy to get into overall.

oh- i checked my copy of gotha out, and the game uses digitized actors for itc cast (and chunky polygon ships), while part 2 has CG rendered faces (and better looking ships). obviously, the developer wisely decided that the real stars were the planes, lol.

g.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shadow of the Tusk felt like it was more of a stretegy RPG versus just a normal stretegy game so it might not appeal to you as much.

Some of the things I mention can also apply to normal stretegy games but probably not as much. I don't really play Koei games myself so I can't comment on them. Most of the big name stretegy/RPG there are guides that explain that stuff. It would more just be a problems for the lesser known ones as they generally don't have as much depth in them.

As for the prices for this stuff most of them are pretty cheap if you get them on Ebay. I think I've mentioned before but most of these stretegy games should run more than $15.00 used. While I agree that most people aren't real honest about the condition of there stuff and this can apply to online stores as well it's just not worth the time, hassle and extra money sometimes to get a sealed one. I could go into a much longer rant about it but it would do more than piss about 95% of the people here off.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm...

true, tusk is more of an SRPG, but i was taking into consideration the lack of japanese knowlege stated by Dragon. My own japanese is sorta busted, lol, and that made me gravitate toward SRPGS over straight up strategy and appreciate both genres all the more. those daisenryaku and koei games are intensely frustrating if you don't at least have some sort of menu guide to work with or a good deal of experience with strategy games to figure out stuff like commands and options.

generally, a sealed tusk is around $10-$12, last time i checked, but it depends on supply and demand. you can get a used one, but you may not get the card set, if you're interested in that sort of thing. i actually would have settled for a used one, but when i had the chance to finally get mine, the guy i buy from had it sealed and cheap, so i didn't pass it up

g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

COOL! Thanks for all the info! I'm doing OK on some of these games, but I do need to get myself some sort of kanji guide, and decipher all these menu buttons at least! There's just too many that aren't really obvious what they are when you press them, and actually I would like to try to get at least a start on learning some Japanese. I know it's a BITCH, but still it seems like if I at least learned what all the menu buttons say in these games, then at least I would've learned something. Besides, I kinda dig the cultural experience.

I saw a sealed Shadows of the Tusk for real cheap myself, and wondered what it was, but it looked more like an RPG so that's why I didn't get it. So is it one of those card-based RPG's like Arcana Strikes? I've been looking at that game for a long time, and also Culdcept, because I think I would enjoy something like that. I loved Arcana on the SNES, and I know they're not related to each other, but in a way they are, since they're both card-based.

No XBOX here yet, but I sure would like to have one. If I was still working full time, I would've gotten one on the day that it was released. Maybe someday, like when the price drops to $99 or less! I'd rather buy games. I didn't know there was a new daisenryaku game coming out, but I did know that Strong Style featured modern weapons and vehicles. Believe me, I've been researching Daisenryaku games alot! Even the ones on the MegaDrive!

#3, OOOHHH you are really making me want Quo Vadis 1 & 2 now! I like space battles and mech battles, so those two sound really neat! I thought they looked like my cup of tea, so I may have to move those up a bit higher on my list now. It's a really long list though, so I kinda have to prioritize it!

Now the Gotha series, I'm really curious how Gotha & Gotha World compare to Gotha 2, because that one was released here as Heir of Zendor. So for once, I just might know what the hell I'm doing in the other two games, if they're structured the same way as Gotha 2. I'm wondering why we only got Gotha 2 though, why would we get that one before we got Gotha?

Azazel: I don't think that I'd attempt to play any Koei games in Japanese, but I might. They're usually alot more focused on resource management than warfare, so you'd really have to know what all those kanji in the menus were talking about to have a chance of doing well. I prefer the hex-based games that don't get into all that stuff very much, but I do enjoy the more in-depth games like that sometimes also. However, I've always played them in English, and that's plenty hard enough, because they are very advanced.

Now my thing about sealed games, maybe I shouldn't be so picky about that, because I just miss out on alot of stuff that you either can't get or can't afford sealed anymore, but I'm really picky about keeping all the games in my collection as mint as possible, so that makes it really hard for me to buy any used games that I can't fully inspect personally before I buy them. I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it, if there were still some good import gaming stores around here where I could shop for retro imports, but unfortunately there just aren't any that I know of. Which is VERY surprising here in Houston too, because we have a HUGE Asian community! So huge in fact, that we have TWO "chinatowns"! We have old chinatown and new chinatown, but I've been through all the shops in both of them, and all I ever find is current imports, no more old stuff anymore, DAMMIT! Perhaps I should try to open up my own retro import shop here someday, but then maybe there's a reason why nobody's selling old imports around here now!

Now both you guys are very right about needing a strategy guide oer at least a menu guide to navigate my way through all these games! It's alot harder than I thought it would be in some of them, and alot easier than I thought it would be in some of them, but either way, I need to know my commands! I don't like trying to play games like this without knowing exactly what I'm doing in them, because it takes away so much of the enjoyment from them, not to mention it isn't helping my strategies and tactics at all to be so lost!

But I'm still glad that I got all the ones that I've gotten so far. Now if only I could save up enough money for the ones that I want on the PSX! I did manage to get Assault Suit Valken 2 cheap enough, but all the other ones I've found are pretty damned expensive! Of course that's mostly because I insist on sealed copies, but even the used copies seem to cost alot more than what I've been having to pay for sealed copies on the Saturn! I guess it's just because the PSX is such a popular system to collect for now. It sure does seem to be even more popular than the Saturn is, and I thought the Saturn was still pretty popular! But anyway, DAMN, the PSX strategy games are almost as expensive as the PSX RPG's, so you know they're almost outta sight! And it really SUX too, because I've found quite a few games I want!

Well, I'm off to play some more Shin Kaitei Gunkan again. That one is still my favorite out of all the ones that I've gotten lately, which is really cool in itself, because that was one that I knew almost absolutely nothing about and just took a chance on it! I highly recommend it. It's pretty straightforward, but I still haven't figured out what all the commands are and what they do yet. Just like all the others too, but for some reason this one captivates me alot more than any of the others do, so I'm getting really into it. And I still can't figure out why they never translated this one. It's just so cool! The story is cool, the gameplay is cool, even getting your ass kicked because you have no idea what you're doing is cool, what more could us Americans want? I've really gotta get myself set up for taking screenshots of this game for y'all, I really wish that y'all could see it. I think it's very impressive, but without a way to show it to you, I dunno if y'all would like it as much as I do or not. So screenshots are definitely in order. At least that would help y'all out a little!

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's really no great Kanji guide. You could either learn Radical lookup or maybe look for a Japanese site that has the menus and that kind of stuff and run it through a online dictionary program. Although if you really want to learn the language you should probably start out with learning Kana.

Unless you have really good connections it's hard to run a retro import shop. Even than it's still really hard and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's Radical lookup? I don't think I even wanna try translating a bunch of Japanese sites, just so I can *maybe* actually find what I'm looking for. Do they even have fansites that would post such information? Seems kinda hard to believe that anybody would post stuff that's already found in the manual, very few western sites do that, and they're usually very difficult to find too.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are kanji OCR programs too, scan the guide and it's picks up the text which you can then run through a translator. Of course you'll need a pretty good scanner and good contrast between the characters and the background and you'll still end up with a pretty poor translation.

I haven't used the program for a long time but if you send me a couple of sample shots (TIFF format), I can try and see what it comes up with.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes there are sites out there. A lot of the captures out will have some basic stuff like menus, items and oter stuff that can also be found in a manual but really varies from site to site. Finding the sites can be another thing as generally you have to enter the title into a search engine and write in it's original Japanese.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'd rather just try to learn how to read Japanese, or make some new friends who can read it. It would be alot more useful to me at this point to learn at least what little I need to know to navigate menus and stuff. That's all I really need to know anyhow, what all the buttons are and what they're for. And if I never do learn how to read it, or what all those buttons are and what they do, oh well. At least I still have a ton of great import games to play, even if I can't play them worth a hoot because I have no idea what I'm even doing, I still own them and have them in my collection. So that's all that really matters the most to me anyway, having them in my collection. Besides, it'll be good for me to learn how to read a little Japanese. If I ever get any good at it, and I learn enough of it, maybe I can start deciphering some of the stories in all my games, and start buying some strategy RPG's.

Anyhow, I just bought Taiheiyou No Arashi 2 Limited Edition. So I can hardly wait for it to get here so I can check out the special book that comes with it, and see what the Saturn version is like. I've seen some screenshots of the PC version, and it looks pretty cool, but I'm hoping the Saturn version is a superior version with enhanced graphics. I'm sure that I'll be just as lost in it as I am in some of my other imports now, but this game seems to be very obscure to us Westerners, so I just had to have it. And it's a WWII game, so you can't go wrong with that. Maybe next I'll start trying to track down a copy of all the Daisenryaku games, but for now this will get me into some combat in the Pacific theatre. I understand that this game is supposed to be extremely detailed and accurate, so it should be a really good simulation. If I like it, I may have to import the other two sequels for the PC. The original game doesn't seem to be available anymore, but the rest can still be found. The latest version of it looks the best of course, but they all look really cool.

So my collection of import strategy games is still growing, but unfortunately my scout still hasn't located a sealed copy of Ginga Eiyu Densetsu Plus for me yet. I hope he finds one soon, or I may have to send out some other scouts to track it down for me. I know that it's more rare and harder to find than the original game is though. So it may take a while, but hopefully someone will find it for me in the condition that I'm trying to find it in, sooner or later. That's the last one that I'm planning to get for a while though, if I can find it, because I want to start getting some fighting games. I still don't have any import fighting games yet, so I think that I need to remedy that situation. But I need to get a 4 in 1 before I go there, since all the best ones require additional RAM. And that still isn't in my budget yet. Too many games to be had, and not enough money for all the games, much less another adapter.

Anyhow, I'll report what Taiheiyou No Arashi 2 is like as soon as it gets here. I also bought Vatlva from the same seller, since both games were dirt cheap, and I could save on shipping. So I'll have another review of another racing game soon too, or whatever type of game Vatlva is. I've heard that it's a little bit of everything. Some kind of combat racing RPG, or something like that, maybe even a few strategic elements. So it should be really cool. I've heard that it's really good, so I'll be finding out for myself as soon as it gets here. My mailman must think that I've opened up a new import business by now. Every time another package arrives, I order something else to keep all the packages coming. So he must be wondering what the heck I'm getting so much of from Asia. He probably thinks it's porn. That's what I'd assume. But then he probably doesn't even really notice what all he delivers to me.

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Generally finding someone that knows Japanese and has time to help you out can be quite hard. If you could at least post the stuff in Japanese you at least have a better chance of someone helping you. As for learning Japanese Katakana will be the easiest as it's the closest to english. You could probably learn it in a few hours of study but takes some practice before you can accuratly translates names, menus, items and stuff like that. Hiragana for just menu stuff is pretty easy. You could download something like NJstar and just type them in and look them up in the dictionary thing that's already included in the program. As for Kanji I've mentioned already mentioned about radical lookup. I'm sure there's some information online that can teach you how to do it. Generally most stretegy games tend to be heavy in the Kanji menus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm lucky there, because Fuyukaze here on the boards lives in Houston too, and he knows how to read at least some Japanese. So I have access to a helper in the physical world, which will be much better than me trying to get my scanner to show all the details without blurring them up when I reduce the quality of the image for the web. But if I run into any problems, I'll see what I can do. I know my scanner isn't very good for text though, even in English, so getting a decent image that I could post here is kinda iffy.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Taiheiyou No Arashi 2 is finally here, and I must say it's very impressive! Sorry I forgot to come back and mention it when it arrived, but I kinda got all caught up in the madness of the holidays, and all the packages that kept coming! Anyhow, it's way better than I was expecting. Lots of really cool 3D cinemas of all the battles, and every unit that you can possibly imagine. If it was in the Pacific theatre of war, chances are it's in this game. So if you're a WWII buff, or you just like wargames, you'll probably love this game. And if you're looking for a change of pace, you can't beat playing as the Japanese!

In other news, I have two more new strategy games on the way now. I won't be getting them for about another month, because they're being held for shipment with another game that I'm still making payments on. The first one is Gaia Breeder, which appears to be some sort of African evolution game or something. The second one is Nairugawa No Yoake, which appears to be some sort of African archeology game. I'm really not sure exactly what either one of these games are, but they both look very cool, and I'm dying to find out more about them. But best of all, they were both dirt cheap! Only $15 each, brand new and factory sealed! So they're just as affordable as Taiheiyou No Arashi 2. It was only $15 shipped brand new and factory sealed too, and in the special Limited Edition box with the strange little canvas book even! I wish that I could read Japanese so I could read that book. I thought that it would have pictures, but there are none. It's just a neat little canvas covered book with the typical ultra thin paper and tons of Japanese writing in it. So, not musch use if you can't read Japanese, but still a very cool little extra. I guess maybe it's supposed to be a GI handbook?

Anyhow, if anyone knows anything about Gaia Breeder or Nairugawa No Yoake, please let me know here. I know that Taiheiyou No Arashi translates to "Pacific Ocean Storm" but I have no idea what Nairugawa No Yoake translates to. Does anyone else have any idea, or know a site where I can find out? I tried to translate it with the online translator that I use, and I got no results. So I don't know what it means, but the game looks cool as hell!

I'll report on what the games are like as soon as they get here. Much faster than I reported on what Taiheiyou No Arashi 2 is like, I promise. BTW, I got Transport Tycoon recently too. It's basically exactly like the PC version, but all in Japanese, with currency in yen. So it's nearly impossible to play without any knowledge of Japanese, unless you own the PC version. I do own the PC version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but unfortunately it's a DOS game, and I have yet to figure out how to configure DOS BOX so I can play it on XP. If I could get it running on my system again, then I could make some notes of ahwat all the icons are and what they do. Then I should be able to play the Saturn version without any problems. But until then, that game is more of just a curiosity for my collection, and not something that I really intend to try to play very much. I only got it because it was a strategy game, and it was cheap. It was another one of those $15 bargains that I just couldn't pass up. So I sure am glad that there's still alot of those lurking around out there, if you're patient enough, and you know where to look for them. It makes buying the more expensive games far less painful on the pocketbook, especially when you can have them thrown in with a more expensive game, to save on shipping. Then you can do like I do, and just tell yourself "Hey, look at all the games I got for only $$$!", instead of stressing over the fact that $$ of that $$$ was almost $$$ just for one game!

Get BIT!