Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Label Variations ?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collecting Label Variations ?

I have a question. I know alot of the NES collectors say that they have "all U.S. released games" or something around those lines. The thing I'm wondering is do they collect label variations. Because , I'm not sure how many , but alot of popular early release NES games were released later on. When the games were first released they had a black round nintendo seal of quality , when they were rereleased they had a while oval nintendo seal of quality. I don't know how many games were rereleased , but I have Zelda , Tecmo Bowl , and Mega Man. I know there are probabley wayyyyyyyy more than that. Does anyone know exactly how many games were remade with the white oval seal ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default a can of worms....

There are SEVERAL variants of games, espically the more popular ones. I have a buddy who collects ANY box variant. He has personally showed me over 40 that have this variant that you speak of, and I know that there are a ton more. There are several variants to the seal of quality. You have the Black Circle, the White Circle, the Oval Circle, and I have seen some other variants as well. There are a ton out there. Me personally, I am down to my final 6 nes games I need for the US set, I dont care about variants, too much of a headache for me as it is to complete my set.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nes variations are crazy, and you have to be crazy to collect them. anyways... I do.

I am always noting variations when i get them, if you want to read more about my thoughts on these, go here. I am always working on a list, so what is posted in that forum is WAY old. It is much bigger now, i just don't want it floating around out there right yet.

http://www.gamerzuniverse.net/forums...c26e3a11fd8788

-Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd say that it's crazy enough to go for a complete NES collections, and I'm sure not going to try to egg somebody onto trying for label variations as well! Kids got to eat, you know!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collecting variants is a stupid idea....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Variants

Its not a stupid idea, it is just a daunting task that is much, much, harder to do......
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect what I consider to be "important" label variants.

The King of Kings label variant, for example. Two different pieces of artwork.

The Blades of Steel "red label" variant. The Metroid "yellow" label variant.

Anything like this.

I could care less about what color the seals are, or whatever.

I would much rather spend my time and money on other system's libraries.

Whatever works for you though...
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to collect the NES label variations, but there are so many, unless they are severe like Metroid Yellow/Sliver, I just hack them up into devcarts like any other doubles, heh. There are just too many variants on the labels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I collect what I consider to be "important" label variants.

The King of Kings label variant, for example. Two different pieces of artwork.

The Blades of Steel "red label" variant. The Metroid "yellow" label variant.

Anything like this.

I could care less about what color the seals are, or whatever.

I would much rather spend my time and money on other system's libraries.

Whatever works for you though...
    Same here. There are HUNDREDS, if not thousands, of "seal of quality" variations. This is akin to collecting copyright variations on 2600 carts. Are you guys collecting 3 screw/ 5 screw variants as well? Good luck to you.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't only go for NES. In order to have a fully complete true collection you need label variants. Thats how I look at it at least.

I know I am collecting label variants for gamecube. Which by the way... if anyone ahs a list it would be greatly appreciated.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the reasoning behind my obsession with collecting variations came from getting games and then getting a box/instruction that doesn't quite match up with the game.

When it comes to collecting five screw and three screw games it goes hand in hand with the nintendo seal of qualities. All the first gen. NES games used five screw, thus the nintendo seals are always going to be gold and round (not white and oval). This will always be the case and isn't necessarily that bad to collect.

The problem where it gets really complicated is with the five screw black box series and if you are collecting them with famicom adapters or what not. Then you have to open up all your five screw games and look to see if you have it or not... quite time consuming and can be a real pain in the ass.

After the five screws and gold seals, you have the three screw REV A (revision A). These will always (i am almost 95% sure) have three non-secruity screws and a gold seal.

And then.... the next variation is quite ridiculous. REV A's with gold seal and three secruity screws (not regular screws).

and then finally you have your three screws with white nintendo seals.

AND (yes another and)... if you want to get really adventurous you can search for NES games w/ warning labels in french/english/spanish. Just so you know all of the later released games (i'm thinking 91 or 92 and after) automatically had warning labels like this (jetsons, bubble bobble 2, flintstones 2,etc, etc).

and one last thing... there are always those really wierd variations you come across... I for one have found NES labels put on upside down when they were released (Yoshi).

SO it is really a task and a half, and i admire anyone out there who is as crazy as me in wanting to document and collect these games.

-Josh

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I now got the last laugh on people asking my why I have two copies of Gun.smoke on NES.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My set is working out as follows:

Major art changes count such as Metroid, Blades of Steel, Gun.Smoke, Untouchables (just found today). I'm undecided on Athletic World (Series 1 vs no series indication).

Other variations do not (such as 3-screw vs 5-screw). I am "upgrading" to 5-screws whenever I come across a different one though. I know of at least 59 titles with the 5-screw variation and would love to compare lists with anyone else who has one going.

Qixmaster - I have a Captain Comic with an upside-down label that you are welcome to.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't seek out label variations, but if one passes through my hands, I keep it.

I'm not a NES collector, so I don't even know what the "screw" variations look like, but I keep different versions of 2600 games: Picture, text, late-release picture, silver, red, Blue label activisions, Text and pic Imagics, etc...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two different versions of The Untouchables, but I more or less stumbled on that variant by accident. Once my US set is complete though I imagine I'll go for a few more of the known variants for kicks, like Metroid and Zelda, just to say I have 'em. At present they're not as important as getting those last 35 or so carts I need.
    Web: www.OHHLA.com, www.RapReviews.com, www.AngryMarks.com
    Forums: www.AngryMarks.com/forums
    Turunga Leela on Info-tari: "Go consummate yourself!!"

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I do it for the Playstation and its really no different. Artwork variants and the like have kept collecting fresh for me especially going after such a daunting collection in the first place.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitnes

Qixmaster - I have a Captain Comic with an upside-down label that you are welcome to.
    if it is complete i'd be interested. I only want to snag the original boxes and manuals that color dream variations came with so i can compare the boxes to see if there is a difference between the two... since no one really seems to know... (other then the compitition color dream boxes that have stickers).

Thanks!
    -Josh

EDIT: this is post # 1234 for me... nice! back on topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well if anyone has the patience and money to collect every variation of nes games, that's good but otherwise i think it's a way to hard of a task and really there's no need for it

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed it is already hard to get it complete (not to mention sealed),collecting the variations is not done for me.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Qixmaster - yes its complete

Also, if you are interested I have six different US versions of Zelda 1 that you can take a peek at.

Also, I noticed that there are two different versions of the oval seal (YES I'm series and YUCK what a mess). One has a letter R beside it and the other has TM. I have different varieties for the same title although I am seriously not wanting to collect varieties for the single fact that I may never know if I am finished with the set.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.