Thread: Need tips on fixing Intellivision controller

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need tips on fixing Intellivision controller

I just got an Intellivision through an auction and one of the controllers was not functioning.

No problem, I took apart the console and found out the wires were ripped from the contact points (sorry, don't know the proper nomenclature). I'm talking about the metal/silver things that are encased in the green plastic (which in turn plugs into the circuit board).

No big deal, I stripped the wire a bit to get fresh new intact wires for each color.

Here's the problem... I don't have the right tool to re-insert the wires/thread them in through the tight space between the metal contact points.

What tool do I need to buy? where can I get it? any other tips on rebuilding intellivision controllers?

Thanks.

Marc
    Opinions expressed not necessarily those of the author, especially if bone-headed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do not know what tool you could really use that would be great for that job, as the places those tiny wires have to go into are VERY TINY. However, there are a few places on the internet that you can pick up JUST the intellivision controller cable for only 2 0r 3 bucks plus the buck or so to ship. Which is probably just as good of a solution as spending the same amount on a tool to fix the wire you have.....if there is such a tool.

Here is one such place to pick up parts:
    http://www.vintagefunworld.com/items.asp?ID=9

Do not however throw that out if you do decide to just replace it. It is fixable, it'll probably just take a lot of patience.
    Responsible government is not only a good idea, it's the law. Really. If only they had this on a sign outside of every government building.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the two halves of that piece will come apart. One could also run a bridge from the wire to the contact that it's supposed to go to.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!