Thread: So what's the deal with the Phantom?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So what's the deal with the Phantom?

I was just thinking about this today. What is going on with this system. Is it still coming out or what? I have not heard anything about it. I guess the same question goes for that apextreme thing but I didn't hear much about that one to begin with.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm fairly certain the gaming world at large considers The Phantom more of a joke than Daikatana at this point.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Infinium Labs have announced that the Phantom on-demand broadband console will be delayed until 2005, in order that retail and marketing partners have time to build interest towards the system's debut, amid fears that the innovative new system could be lost amongst the insanity of Christmas gift-buying. "The decision comes at the request of both its retail and marketing partners, who have told the company they want more time to plan promotional and merchandising activities for the new games-on-demand service," read an official statement. COO Kevin Bacchus added: "We were on track to offer the Phantom Game Service later this year. However, we can't do it alone; we need our strategic partners to help us get the word out. And many of our key marketing and retail partners, as well as publishers, have told us they believe the best way to make the service successful is to hold off for now.

So no sign there that the delay is related to Infinium's widely reported funding issues, which many thought could hamper the product's original November18th date. "Our capital acquisition plan is fine with the move to next year," assured Bacchus, who recently announced twenty-two partners who'll be offering their wares to Phantom gamers to download. Despite having confirmed several new game providing friends, Infinium has yet to speak of retail partners who'll be selling the system and subscription to its online services. We also await word of when the Phantom will be out in 2005.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the Apextreme? Anyone have any current info on that one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

well, im hoping the "delay until 2005" turns into a "delayed forever"....that thing looks like such a pill of junk
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by classic gamer
    What about the Apextreme? Anyone have any current info on that one?
    The ApeXtreme is the first device of its kind. It functions as a full-featured, high-end home DVD player, a hard-disk-based Personal Video Recorder and a home game console designed to play any PC game -- all in one attractive device. The device moves PC versions of electronic games out of the computer room and into the TV room, giving gamers the ability to play their favorite "PC-only" games on a console machine, with a bigger game image -- on their standard TV.
    Introduced at this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the ApeXtreme was honored as the "Best of CES" in the "Home Audio & Video" category, as well as being a CES Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase Honoree.
    I wonder if customers of this device have to pay for the Windows OS as well? MSRP is $499?!?!
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I cant actually OWN a game for the damn system then forget it! even if it is for real it will never work and will be phased out faster than you can say hey that new virtual boy jaguar 3DO Game.com Ngage all in one combo system looks great