Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the term "fanboy" has run it's course

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you think the term "fanboy" has run it's course

There are a good 20-30 irritatingly overused catchphrases currently in play in the gaming world, but I'll start with "fanboy".

Here's a simple two part question:

A. Are you completely burned out on the word "fanboy"?

and

B. Do you suppose a hip, new replacement word is on it's way?

Personally, I don't remember ever using that word. I remember some guy trying to be clever by altering the spelling to "fanboi", but that only makes it appear gay and French* ("fanbwah").

Anyway, the whole concept of bitching about the fans of game systems, companies, and/ or game series'/franchises (etc.) seems somewhat pointless, or perhaps a waste of time. Any sports fans out there? Do you support a particular team, even if they are having a bad season or game? Or do you go the purely logical route and watch/support whoever the current top scoring team is at the moment?

I do have a soft spot for Sega, and also for some lesser companies (Nintendo**). I see nothing wrong with this. I'm not interested in painting "SEGA" on my face and making a fool out of myself, but nostalgia and a very long line of excellent game experiences have made me a supporter of the company, and interested in what they create. I see this as reasonable, especially in light of the legitimacy given to sports fans and their tendencies. How would you regard a person who just spent $250 on a Sega or Nintendo jacket? In the sports world this is viewed as "quite right".

I have more to add, but it's your turn.

*I know that's redundant
    **Inserted to get the Nintendo crowd fired up.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I am definitely sick of the term fanboy, but since dipshit it too general...I guess it is the best term for it at this time
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tell you what. Come up with a better one-word description of http://www.finalfantasycosplay.it/ , and we'll use that going forward.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is it, whenever something goes wrong, a game is overrated, or someone tries to say "Hey I like this game" someone has to shout out "Fanboy"

A. Yes, it has run it's course and has gotten old

B. Probably won't be replaced because over a million still use it

P.S. Fuckin fanboys.... jk
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While "fanboyism" as a concept is still quite valid, I think people often overuse and mis-use the term. A lot of the time, "fanboy" is thrown out by people as a divisive weapon of sorts--kind of how "liberal" and "conservative" terms get thrown around in the political arena. The person weilding "fanboy" as a weapon typically wants to make themselves appear more "hardcore," superior and aloof to those being accused of fanboyism. Pretty lame.

Is it possible there are "fanboys" of "fanboyism?"
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I've been a gamer since the 70's (and a constant one at that). I've personally never used the term. It doesn't really mean much to me. To me, it just sounds like you're a fan!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well I'll disgree with everyone so far and say that I like the term "fanboy". It can be applied not only to gamers, but non-gamers as well. To me anyone who has blind faith in a company, material item, or person (jesus christ is an exception, assuming you are a Christian) is a fanboy.

"I don't care if my PS2 HAS had 3 DRE problems! Sony pwns and Microsoft suxorz!!!"

"Man, my Corvette has broken down seven times, and I once got stranded in Compton for 4 hours. But I don't care. I would never buy anything but a Chevy."

"My girlfriend cheats on me more often then she has sex with me and she has maxed out all of my credit cards, but I don't care. I love her anyway."

Fanboys.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yes, the term is almost as annoying as fanboys themselves.

Saying that you have a soft spot for Sega doesn't make you a fanboy. It's people that argue blindlessly for their favorite company that earn that label. I don't fault anyone for saying, "I love Nintendo" or "I love Sony". It's the people that automatically hate anything from Nintendo or Sony before even seeing them or knowing the facts. Or the people who were arguing whether the Nintendo DS was better than Sony's PSP before seeing either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I HATE the term "fanboy." It's annoying, and overused. It's usually only thrown around when someone else has run out of valid arguments and wants to start name calling.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fanboy talk and people who troll for fanboys suck.
    Cant people like a game without being raked over hot coals ?
    Better yet , why arent we allowed to like something different than you without being flamed ?

(by you I mean the people trolling or "fanboy")

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I have no problem with someone preferring or being a diehard fan of one system over another, that's absolutely fine. I also don't mind people giving their opinions of things to come (see: PSP vs DS). What does get on my nerves is when people start judging things they've never laid hands on, already taking sides and throwing insults without ever having tried it.

Who am I to tell you that a peanut butter n' pickle sandwich is nasty? I've never had one and have no point of reference.

In cases like that, the term fanboy applies I think. The word itself isn't an ear pleaser, but it's apt and everyone knows what you're talking about when you use it. Come up with a new word that's catchy and has a negative connotation and I'll pick it up.

Preferences are preferences, but blind judgement is foolish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow...Yeah, I realized today that I was looking for some sort of synonym for the word, and right now I don't even remember why I needed to use it. I'm pretty sure I haven't been calling people fanboys...but...maybe I have? Anyhow, that's a word I wouldn't mind not seeing anymore. Especially the version in Français

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I think fanboys have run their course.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the word fanboy. What else would you use? To me fanboy means blind faith in a product or company with no use of facts to back up claims or using wrong information to backup their claims. I love discussing the differences between systems and games. I just hate it when someone won't even consider that they might be wrong about something.

Also why do so many people start topics about games that they dislike? I usually just voice my opinion on games once or twice then I don't pay attention to it anymore. I guess that is just me.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's nothing wrong with someone being a die hard fan of something. The only real time it irritates me, is when people take their love too far, and start flaming people who don't like something they like, or like something that they cannot stand themselves. (EX: See general discussions about Halo.)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Do you think the term "fanboy" has run it's co

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    Personally, I don't remember ever using that word. I remember some guy trying to be clever by altering the spelling to "fanboi", but that only makes it appear gay and French* ("fanbwah").
    Google the "alternative" definition of boi to understand why "fanboi" is even more insulting than "fanboy."

And, no, the term hasn't run its course. It's part of the gaming lexicon, for better or worse. As long as there are adolescent and twenty-something males who attach their egos to current or former hardware manufacturers, proudly displaying their blind allegiance with fanatical usernames and .sigs, there will be a term for them.

-- Z.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing's run it's course more than "old school", haha. That was old ages ago. The only good thing old school is the movie from last year! Man, was that a great movie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, if ya don't like the term, "fanboy," there's plenty of others to choose from. Words like, "dweeb," "nerd," "geek," "propeller head," "circus freak," "middle-aged virgin," "asshat."

Think of it as a game. Come up with your own words, and use them on hapless strangers who dress up as videogame characters, for some baffling reason. Can't we just cure 'em with alcohol and sex? Isn't that what college is supposed to be about?

Well, that and getting into shouting matches with College Republicans.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why should the term "fanboi" be obsolete? As long as the attitude exists, we'll have the term; and the attitude is as old as humankind; I don't expect it to disappear in a couple of years because I don't expect paradise to break out on earth suddenly.

Fanboism exists in politics and sports as well. Blind loyalties, thinking in 'defense' and 'accusation' categories alone, perfected double standards, and the starting point that one side is good and the other bad independently of actions and reasoning of both sides.

A fanboi is blind in one eye, sometimes completely blind. It is the extreme opposite of the strive for objectivity. It is radical, fanatical enthusiasm; enthusiasm without prudence and without a a cold and distant view which is the building stone of resonableness and temperance. What we need is well-tempered passion, not only for videogames.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn fanboys! Damn them for liking a game company more than any other.