Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting the Genesis Game Factory cart....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Revisiting the Genesis Game Factory cart....

Rather than try to resurrect a long dead topic, I want to start out fresh to find out some info on a green labeled Game Factory cart I have for the Genesis. Information on these on the 'net is kind of scarce (besides DP's rarity guide), and I'm trying to find out if anyone knows specifically if any of these carts have games on them. My cart has "Sonic the Hedgehog 3" written in black marker on the label and the game is 100% playable on the cart (well, as far as I know, as I haven't actually played through much of the game).

Here is my original thread from about 5 months ago: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33127

I hope this is OK with the mods. From the old thread, portnoyd said that he had heard that Toe Jam & Earl was rumored to be on a Game Factory cart, but it was just hearsay. I had pictures posted in the thread, but the links no longer work. My brother had them on his site, so he must've taken the pictures off of his site. I can post new ones if anyone wants/needs to see them.

Basically, I just want to know if this is something diehard Genesis collectors would really be interested in or if I have only stumbled upon a mildly interesting oddity.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Cherry (Level 1) The_Chosen_One's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't have any info for you, but it's definately something I'd be interested in. Can you put those pics up again?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd have wait until sometime tomorrow, but I'll either find the original pics or I'll take new ones of the game in action.
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default edd

My cart is blank....I've always wondered if anyone would ever figure out a way tp write to these things...
    -Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which brings me to my inital question: is this a very unique cart, or are there others out there with games written on them.

I hope to have pictures up in the next couple of hours.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm glad to hear someone has tangible proof that there's a game on one of these.

I don't think it makes it any more rare or desireable, but we've been looking for one simply to help prove or disprove if the actual WRITER was ever created. The fact that you've got a written one is a good sign (though I suppose someone savvy enough could crack open a blank one and flash the cart with the game binary).

I haven't checked the other thread yet. Where did you get your cart (geography as well as actual location)?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the cart at a Gamestop in Lansdale, PA back in April of this year.

Is it possible that someone just swapped in the guts of a Sonic 3 cart? I have no idea why someone would do this, but it's a possibility. I haven't opened the cart yet (I don't even have the security bit to do so), but do the Game Factory chipboards look different than the board of a standard Genesis cart? I want to know if you can actually tell if it is a real Game Factory cart just from the board or if it looks identical to a regular cart.

Still hunting for those pics, should have them up soon.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when i went to ecgx, there was a guy who had some on his table , i asked him if any of them had an actual game still on them, he said yes but didnt remember which ones did or didnt so i passed them up.. i shoulda just bought them all i guess...
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

Hmmm, I've never actually doubted that these have games on them. Some pretty reputable people have said theirs has a game on it, but true...I've never personally seen one.

And if I remeber correctly, yes the board does look different. I opened mine once and I think I even took scans. If anyone wants them, I can dig them up. Send me an email to rbudrick at hotmail dot com.

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got two of these. They're blank, but I'll look into them and build a writer. I'll keep you all posted!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I bet these wouldn't be very hard to write to at all, most Genesis games are just solitary chips on a PCB. Even concerning the differences of the Game Factory cart's circuit board, the card edge has to be wired to facilitate writing/erasing in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    I got the cart at a Gamestop in Lansdale, PA back in April of this year.

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THAT PLACE SOONER??

I was just in Lansdale the other day. I was just at the EB Games up there and that town must be some sort of unknown place because they still have tons of older stuff. Like a time warp. I found my KD there when no one else had it. I wonder where the GameStop is...

If I had known about it earlier this year, I probably would have gone sooner.

By the way... How much does.. or did GameStop charge for that cart?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK....found my original pics and uploaded them on the 'net. You'll have to copy and paste the link in your browser to get them to work:

http://www.geocities.com/hottle_iuli...ameS3_0309.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/hottle_iuli...ameS3_0310.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/hottle_iuli...ameS3_0311.JPG
    http://www.geocities.com/hottle_iuli...ameS3_0312.JPG

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THAT PLACE SOONER??

I was just in Lansdale the other day. I was just at the EB Games up there and that town must be some sort of unknown place because they still have tons of older stuff. Like a time warp. I found my KD there when no one else had it. I wonder where the GameStop is...

If I had known about it earlier this year, I probably would have gone sooner.

By the way... How much does.. or did GameStop charge for that cart?
    Yeah, I was up at that EB a couple weeks back right before the buy one, get one free sale ended. It's the one past where Main Street ends, right? They did have a ton of older stuff, but only a couple of things I was actually interested in. The Gamestop is about 5 minutes from there, on Valley Forge Road in the North Penn Marketplace shopping center. I don't think I've been there since I got this game, so I doubt they have any NES/SNES/Genesis stuff left. To answer your question, I think they were charging $7.99, though I vaguely remember some kind of sale on 8 & 16-bit games that was going on (this is back when they were trying to clear this stuff out). In my old thread I said $7, so I guess it was somewhere around $7-8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi there i have one green one and one blue cart i tried em out but nothing comes up on my genny 3 but i will test on my genny 1 and 2 whenever i have the time to do that otherwise i might end up and selling them ... i bought em on ebay ...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the green one i got it at blockbuster 2 years ago. Like 12 of them showed up one day. The next day they were all gone when i went to get more. I payed 2.99 for it, got home and there was no game on it. O well it is cool at least to have it even if it doesnt work.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Jerkov,

Your cart is the first GF cart I've ever seen minus the Blockbuster label. Maybe that's the clue for there actually being a game on there.

Mike Etler and I opened a GF cart earlier in the year. They use flash RAM chips. Expeeeeeensive. Whoever ate the bill for these duds sure got raped.

Regarding the writer, the sheer boredom from being unemployed led me to track down a person involved with the project. Sadly, he was an executive, and at his new position, still an executive, so my mail, not surprisingly fell on deaf ears.

If anyone wants to pick up the trail, your first clue is on the chips. I cannot for the life of me remember now what specifically they say (We didn't take pics and my memory sucks), but that info plus google gave me a few links. You know you're on the right track when the bio of the guy I was talking about mentions an intiative to do what the GF carts were meant to do.

And yeah, TJ&E, don't remember who said, but it is completely hearsay. The guy from ECGX was Mike from Collector's House (http://www.collectorscardsandgames.com); the man must have a fuck ton of them.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try something. If you have the Sonic & Knuckles cart, try locking the Game Factory on top and see if it works.

Pretty please. I hope you have a copy of it. This would be a good experiment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default h

Yeah, and try it on a game genie too if you can. I'm very curious. Great idea, Jasoco!

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am wondering, if a ROM uploaded to the Game Factory will still be detected by S&K as Sonic 3. Or if it'll be detected as a generic cart and cause S&K to show the bonus screen.

It's a fun experiment. And since you're the only one we know with a working copy, it should be tried at least once.

If you don't have a copy of S&K, find one and tell us the results.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jasoco, that was a great idea - can't believe I didn't think of trying that out. I borrowed Sonic & Knuckles off of my brother to try it out. S&K does not recognize the Sonic 3 cart at all; S&K just boots up normally. What is this bonus screen that you speak of? I tried plugging in another Genesis cart (Super SFII) and got the same result - S&K booting up normally.

There is nothing wrong with the S&K cart because I plugged in my copy of Sonic 2 and was able to play through Sonic 2 as Knuckles. So, to answer your question, S&K does NOT register the Sonic 3 on the Game Factory cart.

Sorry, rbudrick, I don't have a Game Genie, nor do I know anyone else that has one.

Portnoyd, interesting history. It'd be neat if anyone could get any info out of that guy, but I don't really have the time to do it. As to Mike from Collector's House, is there any truth that some of his GF carts have games on them, as max 330 mega said?

I'm fascinated by this cart...can't believe the lack of info out there about them![/quote]