Thread: NES Controller Problem

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Controller Problem

I posted over at AA with a problem with my NES controller (original not dogbone), and I got some great replies, but I still can't get the darn thing to work. The problem is the D pad is acting up. It won't go to the right properly unless you push it down real hard and of course this gets tiring real quick. I've actually got a few controllers with this problem. I think it's because in a game you push to the right a lot more than any other direction and the controller is worn. I'm wondering if there is a way to fix it. I took the thing apart and completely cleaned it using alcohol and swaps to clean the contacts and also where they connect with the board, and still no luck. I tried switching the rubber thing around, making what was left now right, and it's still to the right that is the problem, so I'm sure it's the board that's the culprite. So, can I fix this? Or over time, are a lot of NES controllers out there going to be headed for the scrap heap. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try using a mild abrasive (fibreglass brush, white eraser) on the board contact in question. maybe it's coated with something or oxidized in some way.

The black contacts aren't worn away are they?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice! No, I checked the contacts and they're not worn away. I tried using an eraser on the board and that didn't help unfortunately. After that I even tried putting a little Vaseline on the contact because someone at Radio Shack said it might help with the connection. Still no good.

Thanks Omnedon for the thread on the 72 pin. It was very helpful. I restore Nintendos as well, and I've been repairing the pins with success by painstakingly and carefully bending both the pins for the main board and those for the cart (plus of course cleaning everything carefully). I'm going to try the sandpaper idea on the next one I do.

For the controllers, I've been taking them apart and completely cleaning them because sometimes junk gets under the D pad or around the A and B buttons and they don't work perfectly. I've run into this problem though a few times with the D pad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually you should try rubbing the black contact on the backs of the buttons. I've ran across at least one button where a mild rubbing/scraping on this contact fixed the button.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026