Thread: What is the most that you ever paid for a game?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is the most that you ever paid for a game?

I'm about to break my old record of $100 by about $50, and I'm planning to shatter that record shortly afterwards, so I'm just curious, what is the most that you ever paid for a game? Please tell us what your record is, what game caused it, and why it was so important to you to merit spending that much. You can also tell us what games if any could cause you to break that record, if you want to. I know we have some high rollers here, so confess your sins!

My current record of $100 is a tie between Phantasy Star IV & Virtua Racing for the Genesis. I was just crazy enough and gainfully employed enough at the time to spend that kind of money on any new Genesis game that came out, and I didn't even blink an eye about it. In fact, I bragged about it, as it was somewhat of a status symbol for me to be able to spend that kind of money on just one game. My friends called me crazy, but I wasn't ashamed.

The game that's about to cause me to break that record is a factory sealed copy of Battle Garegga for Saturn. It's gonna cost me $150 plus shipping when it finally arrives, and I've already placed a deposit on it to preorder it. I know that I could get a used copy a little cheaper, but why settle for that when I can get it brand new for just a little more? So I have no regrets at all.

There are currently two games that could cause me to break that record, once I've actually set it. The first one is a used copy of Pengo for MegaDrive for $250, and the second one is a factory sealed copy of Space Invaders for Virtual Boy for $300, but I'm still very hesitant to spend that kind of money on just one game right now. I'm sure that I will at some point in the not too distant future, but right now those two games are just a bit too far out of my league to get them just yet, so I'm gonna let Battle Garegga hold the title for at least a little while before I go breaking anymore records like that.

So why were/are these games so important to me? Well, Phantasy Star IV should be self explanatory. It's Phantasy Star, part IV! Need I say more? Virtua Racing was really only for the status of being able to do so, but also because it was the first and as it turns out the only SVP chip game for the Genesis. I was a total Sega fanboy with bottomless pockets at the time, so I had to have all the latest Sega gadgets and gimmicks as soon as they came out, and Virtua Racing for the Genesis was one of them. Still no regrets yet. Battle Garegga should be self explanatory to any shmup fan. I missed this one back in the day, so when I got the opportunity to buy it brand new again, I decided that money would be no object this time. I must have it! Pengo is just one of those things for me. I always loved the arcade game, and this version is an ultra rare import update of the original, for 4 players! Space Invaders is kinda the same type of nostalgic reasons, it's a perennial classic, and this version is an ultra rare import update of the original, in 3D!

So that's all of my confessions for now. I've just reached a point in my life and my collecting habits where I'm ready to take my hobby up to the next level, and join the ranks of the more elite. I know that I'll still be a small time player compared to some people here, but my motivations are not so much for status anymore as they are for a simple desire to own some ultra rare games that are far more rare and valuable than any of the other games that I currently own. I have alot of super rare games already, so I know that I'm already more elite than alot of people here, but I'm not really seeking glory. I just want to have these things, like any other games that I decide I want, but it just so happens that these particular games are prohibitively expensive.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

most...$80 for Metal Slug on Saturn...I will never go further then that
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$160 got me an immaculately boxed-and-doxed O2 Power Lords shipped three years ago around this time.

But by far the most expensive game in my collection is the Kick upright arcade cabinet...which by itself cost me $210. Now, the shipping cost that much again from Colorado, but I still consider it an excellent deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent over $300 ($360 if I remember correctly) on an Atari Jaguar prototype. But, as for a game that was released in the stores, I paid $125 for a USA Bonk 3 hucard (TG16) not too long ago.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was young, going against the advice of adults to wait for it to come into circulation used, I bought a game for $70. I realized that I had played most of it by means of rental already. I considered the purchase a significant mistake.

Fortunately, the game in question was Chrono Trigger.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$250 for a complete sonic wongs 3 MVS kit.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

£120 for Radiant Silvergun - worth every penny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

$60 american for a boxed little samson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's already a thread in progress in the classic discussions:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2598

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if I really agree with Battle Garegga. You can get mint or near mint on Ebay for about $75.00 and I've seen it go for as cheap as $50.00 before. Although if you really want a sealed one for whatever reason it's your choice.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Thanks DS. Continue in the thread he posted please.

P.S. Dunno if he mentioned it already, but Mayhem spent $2600 on a Vic-20 tape. I think that beats everybody.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."