Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTA San Andreas has been leaked

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default GTA San Andreas has been leaked

Following suit in what would only make sense, GTA San Andreas has made it's way to seedy areas of the internet. As you all know this happened last week with Halo 2. These are probably 2 of the 4 most anticipated games of the season (Halo 2, GTA SA, Metroid Prime 2 & MGS 3). I'm sure that this will make news sites (though probably not of the Halo 2 caliber), not that rockstar or gta need more press than they have already received in the past, but I'm sure that this will remind everyone that it's coming out next week and the news should help to stimulate sales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wheres the source u got this info from?

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

This is going too far. Not the fact that it's pirated (it's gonna happen eventually anyway) but the fact that pirates have the games in their claws BEFORE the freakin' game gets released. There are two things that come to mind about this whole situation:

1) Some punk that works at these companies just happened to land their hands on a decent build and sneaks it out to give to all on the web. Losing their job, getting arrested and paying huge fines doesn't seem to phase these people, it's all about being a digital Robin Hood. It has me question the security these places have.

or, something that is more believable even though it's a conspiracy theory:

2) The developers "leak" the game out. Nothing sparks attention like negative press and what better way than to jump on the broadband pirate bandwagon along with the record companies. Sure you may lose some possible sales depending on how good the leaked build was but it's going to drum up support and sales, especially if there's a threat of a delayed release. People will want the real deal more.

Thoughts?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    This is going too far. Not the fact that it's pirated (it's gonna happen eventually anyway) but the fact that pirates have the games in their claws BEFORE the freakin' game gets released. There are two things that come to mind about this whole situation:

1) Some punk that works at these companies just happened to land their hands on a decent build and sneaks it out to give to all on the web. Losing their job, getting arrested and paying huge fines doesn't seem to phase these people, it's all about being a digital Robin Hood. It has me question the security these places have.

or, something that is more believable even though it's a conspiracy theory:

2) The developers "leak" the game out. Nothing sparks attention like negative press and what better way than to jump on the broadband pirate bandwagon along with the record companies. Sure you may lose some possible sales depending on how good the leaked build was but it's going to drum up support and sales, especially if there's a threat of a delayed release. People will want the real deal more.

Thoughts?
    I like the second theory better. I don't think that Rockstar would put an extremely valuable asset like a new GTA game into the possible hands of someone internally (some punk) who works there, who could potentially leak it. This thing should be running on systems and in rooms that do not have internet connections to keep this from happening. HOWEVER - and this is something that just occured to me - maybe some of these rips are coming from evaluation copies that are sent to the ESRB? This could be wrong b/c I know that the ESRB makes a good PORTION of it's ratings based on recordings of gameplay footage and not by playing every game - but it's a possibility.

As for an internal deliberate leak - that's an interesting idea. This would make sense for HALO 2. The version that was leaked was all French. But it was still Halo 2, enough for the fans to DL and try - BUT, I feel that the majority demographic of Xbox players are "all americans" who want the US version and dont want to deal with foreign "stuff". So, leaking the french version is enough to wet the pallet, but not enough to keep them from buying it - then again, that's like microsoft endorsing modded xbox units.

In the case of GTA SA - the released version is the US version, appears to be retail, but I can't confirm this - Rockstar is a progressive company and this is an interesting tactic, but that company & that game get enough press as it is, why would they shoot themselves in the foot in order to drum up a little extra interest? I like this theory of internal leak, but I can't think of a good enough motive, especially since it's the US release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Actually since it's this close to release date, usually it's choice "C", someone from the duplication plant got a copy early and released it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

along with contesting the results of presidential elections, i feel this is going to become the rule and not the exception from here on out.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a related note, a lot of people think Sony deliberately looked the other way during the PS1 era while massive game piracy went on in E. Europe, Asia and Latin America. The hope was that those consumers would, as their nation became richer, become fans of Sony brands; Sony figured most wouldn't be able to afford a 60-70$US title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    On a related note, a lot of people think Sony deliberately looked the other way during the PS1 era while massive game piracy went on in E. Europe, Asia and Latin America. The hope was that those consumers would, as their nation became richer, become fans of Sony brands; Sony figured most wouldn't be able to afford a 60-70$US title.
    either way theyve become one of the biggest gaming names!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hehe, this happens all the time, it is just now getting noticed with very big name games.

back when i was big into the dc pirating scene, i was always getting full, retail pirated copies early. i remember having unreal tournament for dc about 2 weeks before it was released.

i was never really into the ps1 scene, but i am sure that it happened over there as well. seriously, i was always getting early copies of dc games before their release dates.

now that gta is a market that everybody and their mother knows about, and now that halo 2 has a pretty big fanbase, it is now just getting noticed.

intentional leak, no way. even with a french version of halo, there will still be people that pirate the game and never buy it just because they already own it. later on down the road, they may pirate the north american version, but they still won't buy it. trust me, this happens all the time, and it is just now getting big publicity.

EDIT: for online games, they should just do what the dc did for pso, key numbers. i was big into the dc pirating scene, and never once came across a key generator for pso for dc. i know gta:sa isn't online, but halo 2 is

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    hehe, this happens all the time, it is just now getting noticed with very big name games.

back when i was big into the dc pirating scene, i was always getting full, retail pirated copies early. i remember having unreal tournament for dc about 2 weeks before it was released.

i was never really into the ps1 scene, but i am sure that it happened over there as well. seriously, i was always getting early copies of dc games before their release dates.

now that gta is a market that everybody and their mother knows about, and now that halo 2 has a pretty big fanbase, it is now just getting noticed.

intentional leak, no way. even with a french version of halo, there will still be people that pirate the game and never buy it just because they already own it. later on down the road, they may pirate the north american version, but they still won't buy it. trust me, this happens all the time, and it is just now getting big publicity.
    The dreamcast scene was amazing. I got Half Life before it got to retail. Wait a sec, it never made it to retail :/

The PS1 scene was a little different, the release groups were nowhere near as organized as it is now. The PS2 and Xbox scene is getting out of hand, not to mention the GBA scene. It's amazing how much the general public is unaware of other means of aquiring games. Thank god it's not THAT widespread or else the industry would be dead. I do my part to support it - BUY GAMES! (& pre order your DS )

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is nothing new like SegaAges said. It is just that the big name games are getting all the press about it. It didnt' seem to be as big a deal during the last generation of systems but now the gaming press is all over any leak. They make it seem like it is the downfall of the game industry when this type of thing has always been around and always will be.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all kind of sad, but I'll still be buying th real thing.

There's several reasons for this, but foremost, I would rather support companies who put out good products.

Quite frankly, Rockstar doesn't need any additional publicity to sell this game.

The fact that it arrives two weeks before Halo 2 shows you that the marketing and release date were carefully thought out.

I definitely agree that it's "option C" - someone got a copy at the duplication center.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will go with D) One of the copies they sent to gamespot or another review site was copied.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As huge a fan as I am of the GTA series, I've already preordered it and paid in full. Even if I hadn't preordered, I still would be purchasing it even with the leak being out there. I can wait six days! No need to download it... I'm still having so much fun with Midnight Club 2! I went back to playing Vice City after playing MC2 for a while, and it's driving just isn't as good! I sure hope (and am sure it will be) that San Andreas has the driving and speed of MC2!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already have SF Anniversary for xbox, which is great since I can practice for xbox live until it gets released here hopefully in Febuary.

OMFG LEAKED.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tip!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I myself don't really think this will hinder sales since most people with a PS2 equipped to play pirated games would pirate it whether it's dumped early or not. Most people who download this early leak wouldn't be buying it anyway. I can't see many people not buying it purely because they could get it a few days earlier by downloading.

I can't wait 'til Tuesday the 26th!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

First I would like to say that "digital Robin Hood" is a great phrase. Though it's relevance is limited, I'd like to see it catch on.

This reminds me of a Bill Gates quote I read (in a local free weekly's article about mp3s) where he stated, about piracy of windows in china: 'I don't like the fact that they're not paying for it, but it does get them familiar with our name and product and ensure that at least a small percentage of them will be future customers.' I paraphrased that by the way.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

all games get pirated. some earlier than others. i virtually stopped buying pc games, other than the ones i wanna play online. doom 3! rock on!!!!

both of these games being pirated early means nothing, those that have the means to play backups, modded their systems for that reason and will pirate the game regardless, sooner or later.

the reason for excessive coverage is the popularity of each game and this is hte aftermath of the big ass Half Life 2 code leak.

by the way, both games are great =]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The people which want the real game, will buy it regardless of whether they can download an early version from the Internet. Same for music, and anything else of similar nature. Some people just need to buy the "real"
    thing...