Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So What's So Horrible About Final Fantasy Mystic Quest?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default So What's So Horrible About Final Fantasy Mystic Quest?

It seems like ever since I got into emulation, and then video game communities in general I've been hearing about how terrible a game Mystic Quest is. How it's a beginers RPG for children.

I was at EB, oh ages ago, before the Hurricanes and most of their snes stuff was marked down to $5 on top of another buy two get one free sale. So I picked up FF Mystic Quest, Yoshi's Island, Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness, Eye of the Beholder and Actraiser for under $20.

Fast forward to this wednesday and I finally get a chance to test these games. Start playing Actraiser because I've heard so many good things about it, only to discover it sucks. I mean it's a good idea, kind of a cross genre "Black and White" but the platformer bits are genaric and hard as hell.

Eye of the Beholder's ick. I don't know why I bought it, should have learned my lesson from the GBA version.

So I pop in Mystic Quest, one thing I immediately notice is that the script's actually pretty good. Huge contrast to Final Fantasy 4. The characters sound very natural when they talk, you don't see that often in comercial 16 bit games. The game's also uses a lot of bold bright colors, but I rather like them. The world map navigation's odd to say the least, like Super Mario World, but it's not the first game I've played to use that system (see Crusader of Centy). Combat system is more Dragon Warrior like then Final Fantasy but hey I like Dragon Warrior.

The difficulty level at first seems "broken" the game likes to give you these partners that are at a higher level then you are and consequently do a lot more damage, but around the time they join your party the monsters tend to become stronger so I find it actaully evens it's self out and I've found a couple battles where I died a few times.

Money's kind of a joke I'll admit, you can raid chests in town and they "refill" as soon as you leave. Needless to say I never have less then 99 of bombs or cure potions.

I really like the Zelda elements. Your character can "jump", push blocks, use bombs, pull switchs, climb walls.

I guess I could say the game's really built around all these different little features (when you die in battle you can immediately restart the battle minus any items you used before you died) some of which pan out (you can search out optional "monster lairs", complete 10 battles and gain additional magic, exp, items and money) and some of which don't (while I hate random battles, monsters apoear on the screen and are stationary, once you kill them they're gone and the dungeon is empty.) But I wouldn't go as far as to say the game's terrible. It's different, and I'm sure if Square hadn't experimented on titles like one the games most people do love probably wouldn't have been the same.

I was just expecting something a lot worse I suppose.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It wasn't horrible I jsut noticed it started to annoy me the further I got in it. Not fun, not hard just annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

It's meh. Though I agree that the hype makes the game out to be truly awful.

It was made by Square to be a beginner's RPG/RPG for stupid Americans (on the Super Famicom, the game's title is Final Fantasy USA) so, as a stupid American that hasn't played many RPGs, I kinda dig it. Any game where treasure chests refill themselves but dungeons don't is fine by me.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest myself. I don't understand why people don't tend to like this game either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    (on the Super Famicom, the game's title is Final Fantasy USA)
    Wait, that kinda sounds like the game was developed by Square America (like Secret of Evermore) and then released in Japan.

*goes to look into that*

Edit: Well it appears to have come out in the US in '92 and Japan in '93. So that would explain the name.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Wow. Didn't like Actraiser? Sure it's a little generic, but the graphics and music just keep you playing. I didn't think it was that difficult either. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never tried this game myself because of how bad I heard it was. But now after hearing you talk about it I think I may pick it up and give it a whirl next time I see it at EB or something. It's never exspensive, and it sounds like it would be worth the $5.99 EB will be charging.

I have to agree with you on Actraiser and Eye though, those games are blah.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy USA. Almost insulting. Ive never played the complete copy of the game I bought a year ago and don't think I ever will. This damn box haunts me.....28 of them! 28 freaking FFMQ boxes! WHY!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Wow. Didn't like Actraiser? Sure it's a little generic, but the graphics and music just keep you playing. I didn't think it was that difficult either. :/

My fingers could simply be so acustomed to RPGs that they've grown sluggish and unresponsive. Or I simply suck at the game.

Seriously though I can't get past Act 2 of Fillmore. :/ Stupid Skeleton Minotaur thing.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On this topic, why is it when Mario 2 (US) and FFMQ (US) get ported....Japan has to label it "Super Mario USA" or "FF USA"

It's like a warning to the japanese buyer...."THis game may suck, but we do not refund your yen! Have a good day "
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    Final Fantasy USA. Almost insulting. Ive never played the complete copy of the game I bought a year ago and don't think I ever will. This damn box haunts me.....28 of them! 28 freaking FFMQ boxes! WHY!?!
    I'll gladly take one of those off your hands. >.>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

The biggest reason I didnt enjoy MQ was that I bought it thinking it would be on the same level as FF 1 and FF 2(4). What I got was very short and very basic. The graphics were decent, but at times it felt extremly easy.

Actraiser was a good game for its time. The music was top notch, the graphics were great, and while by todays standereds is very generic, for its time it was one of the best. I never had any problems with the difficulty of the game though.

You never mentioned your thoughts on Nobunaga's though. Very good game. Nice price as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    You never mentioned your thoughts on Nobunaga's though. Very good game. Nice price as well.
    I'm going to have to find a manual for Nobunaga I think. Well both of those (I have LoD and the original). I'll probably like them because I love Genghis Khan for the NES, but again the game looks too complicated to just pick up and dwelve into.

That said I also bought Inidio, but not on the same trip, now THAT game kicks a lot of ass. And I love how KOEI mixed in some of their strategy elements into a traditional RPG. I was interupted while playing it though, so I think I'll restart the game after beating MQ.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

Ahem..

When Nintendo decided to release a Super Mario Bros. 2 in the US, they took a Japanese game called Dream Factory: Doki Doki Panic, changed some sprites, and they had a new Mario game in record time.

They deemed the Real SMB2 (Our "Lost Levels") to hard for Americans...

As for FF:MQ, I liked it and always will. I orginally purchased on it's release week to play over Thanksgiving as I didn't have to work and I was home alone.. .
    Community Manager for Acclaim Games Inc.
    http://www.acclaim.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was a good game, but it was what it was, a dumbed down RPG. I need to meet these americans that think RPG's are too hard.... I can't remember the last time I played a difficult RPG, probably the DW series when I was like 15 (give or take 4 years)

The ultimate bosses in FF7 were kinda hard I guess, if you didn't read up on how to beat them first, or get yourself to uber-powerful-hyper99specialsizesuperlord.

I HATE when people say RPG's are hard, and then proceed to tell you how they got to level 99
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Damn, how can you hate Actraiser?!? That game is on my Top 10 list of greatest games ever made. The music is top notch, the graphics still look good to this day, and it's a wonderfull blend of action and sim game play, something that has not been done again to the present -- at least to my knowledge. I had that poster on my door when I was a kid.

Nice score on the second Nobunaga's Ambition game, though. That game is uncommon and I've never seen a copy sell for less then $15. Nonbunaga's Ambition is another one of my classics -- can still recall playing it back in 1987 for the NES -- and loving it to pieces. It made me pick up everything else Koei has released to this day. The game on the SNES is a updated version of the NES game, but Lords of Darkness is kind of like a remix of it. I think it's a little better then the original, and MUCH better then Nobunaga's Ambition II for the NES, which was average.

But I do agree with you about Mystic Quest. I know the game is kind of simple, is aimed at kids, etc. but it does have some challenge.

Here's something I have'nt seen a lot off -- the manual had a form in the back where you could send it in for a free hint book for the game, only shipping needed. I still have mine in mint condition. And I've hardly seen any of them on EBay. They can't be rare.....can they? :/
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not a bad game, it just seems rather simple - which can be a good thing at times, and a bad at others. It looks and sounds pretty good - certainly better than that Lord of the Rings game Interplay released.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll never hear me hate on FF:MQ either. I think that most of the people that hate it so bad had some sort of expectation that a game like that is never going to fill. I bought it randomly (I'll admit it, because it had FF in the title), but played through it and enjoyed it. I have never understood the strong feelings people have against it. It really can be a fun game to play through.

As far as Actraiser goes, give it a chance. Play it for at least another area before throwing it away. Once you get your fingers back into shape and learn the controls a bit better, it won't be near as hard. It's a very fun game. I wish it could have had a better sequel. Well, I shouldn't say that. I should say that I wish the sequel had incorporated the sim aspects as well.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you think Actraiser is hard you should try the sequel if you haven't already.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Oh, God, YES, to both those last posts. Actraiser II SUCKS compared to the original. Now THAT is a hard game.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion