Thread: Terra Cresta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Terra Cresta

I finally dawned on me today to search for "phoenix" on the KLOV, and so, many, many years after I first saw it, I have finally identified an old cocktail cabinet from my youth as Terra Cresta. The resolution of this mystery is of some relief to me. (I had limited quarters at the time, and I realized too late that the dang machine's buttons were wired up the wrong way!)

What can you tell me about this game? Searches suggest that some people enjoy it very much, and that ports exist for the NES and the TG16 (well, the sequel anyway).

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually prefer Moon Cresta to Terra Cresta myself, but it's OK.

Er...you did know that Terra Cresta was a sequel itself didn't you? More about Moon Cresta here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Terra Cresta AND Moon Cresta can be found on volume 1 of the Video Game Anthology (for x68000) series by Micomsoft, which, as it happens, I happen to be looking at right now.

The manual is one of those nicer ones with a textured brown-ish cover...for whatever reason, though Terra Cresta is listed first on the spine, manual cover, and on the floppy disc itself (reading left to right, or top down in the case of the manual), it appears above and left of the TC logo on the box front and its section in the manual appears before that of TC (naturally). Perhaps an instance of the ol' right-left reading causing troubles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mmmm.. Terra Cresta. One of my arcade gaming favorites! I loved turning into a Phoenix

I too was surprised to learn much much later that it was the sequel to Moon Cresta which I had also liked years before. It wasn't until the internet that I figured/found this out. For someone who loved both games, you'd figure it'd have dawned on me much earlier, but oh well

Speaking of Moon Cresta, let me just take this opportunity to inform you that the version found on Nichibitsu Arcade Classics for the PSX and for the SNES as well.. BLOW CHUNKS. They are so far off from the arcade game in speed and enemy swoop patterns, it just gets frustrating to play. Toss those pieces of crap back into your shelf and go play Mame... or the original if you're lucky enough to find/have one

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Speaking of Moon Cresta, let me just take this opportunity to inform you that the version found on Nichibitsu Arcade Classics for the PSX and for the SNES as well.. BLOW CHUNKS. They are so far off from the arcade game in speed and enemy swoop patterns, it just gets frustrating to play. Toss those pieces of crap back into your shelf and go play Mame... or the original if you're lucky enough to find/have one
    I have the Moon Cresta (JP PS) standalone release, which I assume is the same version as is found on the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics compilation. Those whatever-they-ares sure do swoop down fast! I only played a Moon Cresta cabinet a couple of times back in the day, but I thought that the PSX version seemed godawful hard. Perhaps even...frustrating. I guess I'll have to look up the MAME version some day.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like the NES version..kind of tough to find, and pretty damn hard, but still fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default oui

You know there's Terra Cresta 3D for the Saturn... dreadful! It's the second worst traditional shooter on the Saturn, right behind Planet Joker (which is also a 2D style game with polygons.)

Cheers

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I have the Moon Cresta (JP PS) standalone release, which I assume is the same version as is found on the Nichibutsu Arcade Classics compilation. Those whatever-they-ares sure do swoop down fast! I only played a Moon Cresta cabinet a couple of times back in the day, but I thought that the PSX version seemed godawful hard. Perhaps even...frustrating. I guess I'll have to look up the MAME version some day.
    i have the same disc and thought the same exact thing.

I owed terra prestsa 2 for the PCE and just didn't find it that great, but it was good, just to me not $80 good. I am still looking for one of these cabs, or at least the boards to play. i pumped sooo many quarters into this game(and mat mania) i want i want i want, to get my moneys worth finally.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.