Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's left of the classic games at your local Gamestops?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's left of the classic games at your local Gamestops?

As you might know, back in February Gamestop announced they would no longer take in NES, SNES, Genesis, or Dreamcast games. All the games were marked down to 30% off and many DP'ers with access to a Gamestop that hadn't shipped off their classic stuff to stores out of their reach went to check out what was left.

Now, with over 8 months since Gamestop started clearing out classic games, what's left?

Here's what I've seen out of two GS stores I've been to in the Portland area that still have some stuff left:

Store 1: Not much, and what was left was the cream of the crap. Overpriced sports titles 2 SNES carts, Tecmo Super Bowl and some other sports game (I think it was one of the Bases Loaded titles). Both overpriced, plastered with Gamestop stickers and horribly torn labels. There were also 4 NES carts, and again, sports stuff - Pro Wrestling and Mike Tyson-free Punch Out!!! was what stood out. A few loose Dreamcast discs and Genny sports titles round out the selection. This was all on the bottom shelf of the clearance rack.

Store 2: Everything had a 50% off sticker on it. Lots of Dreamcast stuff. 3 or 4 shelves full. Mostly loose, but spotted some complete stuff, and stuff missing manuals. Since I'm not a DC collector I didn't go through them all but I bet there's some decent stuff to be found in there. 4 or 5 SNES games, all overpriced sports titles and shitty fighting games. If I had an NES, I would have picked up the 98 cent Kings Of The Beach (I loved that game when I was a kid) but the rest? Meh. The only Genesis game that stood out was The Adventures Of Batman and Robin, guess what the rest of the Genny carts were? That's right, overpriced sports titles.

So, what's left at your Gamestop? Anything good, decent, or just the cream of the crap like mine? Anyone make any good finds on classic stuff at a Gamestop recently?

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't forget N64 was under that firing squad too.

Luckily for me, that crap moved here to Waco, they get the stuff from Austin and DFW area

Yet, the NES games are a ghost almost 6 titles..not worth shooting.....the SNES games are nearly gone...and the Genesis has dwindled down to 24 and lower by now I think

Meanwhile, I noticed all N64 games $19.99 and under just like Smash Bros at $14.99 , Spider-Man $19.99, Magical Tetris $19.99
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you know what? i haven't seen any N64 stuff and they told me they weren't getting rid of it

anyways, of GEN/SNES/NES...crap. that's all that's left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing.

All that stuff is at all the EB's.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

My local store only has N64 and PSX era stuff. Now, there's a Gamestop in Christiansburg, Virginia, where I used to live... THAT is an excellent place to find 8 and 16 bit games. The guys who work there are serious retro freaks and are actually pissed that Gamestop stopped accepting older games.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have many many gamestops in my local area and all of them carry nothing but psx era and on except for two. The one that's a little ways from me (about 15 miles) carries tons of genesis/snes/nes stuff but no dreamcast whatsover. The one that's much further (35 miles) carries a bit of everything but very little. That'd be it. Wish I had concertrated on collecting more nes - snes era stuff or dreamcast when I had the oppurtunity.....sigh.....

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Local Gamestop only has DC games now.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hand full of nes, rarest was bigfoot

crap load of genesis, and slightly less snes

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine has a few NES, Genesis, and SNES games left priced at 50% off. They're mainly crap games like the sports titles, and on top of that, most of the labels are ripped up.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Well the mall GS near me has nothing, and what was left I pretty much bought.

The Strip store however still has a full wall of games, course nothing new's ever added but no own's buying them either. I've pretty much already picked out what I want, and the prices aren't that great to just start stocking up on the rest. Lots of Genesis games. Duplicates on "out of this world" for snes (they always catch my attention because I'd like the genny version).

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

The EB Games nearest me still has COMPLETE NES and SNES carts. I picked up Roadblasters, Air Fortress, and Donkey Kong 3 for $5 each. The SNES boxes were all beat to hell though so I didn't buy any. They did have Mega Man X for $40 and Super Mario RPG for $30. (Dunno if those were complete though.) They also had a TON of loose NES/SNES/Genesis carts too. It seems like every time I go there they've got something else they're trying to get rid of.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems to me that when they announced they weren't carrying NES/SNES/Gen stuff anymore, they packed up all those games in the Twin Cities area and shipped it all out. All the games dried up in a matter of days leaving only the crappiest of N64 games and disc only dreamcast games *grumble*. Ditto for EB games. As such, I haven't been to one in months. I did have a curious question relating to this thread however. As I got back into the scene only in 2001, did Gamestop/Funcoland ever sell Atari/Intellivision/ColecoVision carts? If so, when did they stop carrying them?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TheGameTrader.com I don't shop at EB or Gamestop....and it's not just cause I work for the GT
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im in nyc, out of the 6 or so gamestops i know of, only one still had that stuff. a stand with a bunch of nes/snes/gen carts lying around. other than that, almost all of them still have dreamcast/n64

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one near me has no NES or SNES or Genesis stuff at all. Although they do have a ton of Dreamcast games , because everyone and their grandma traded their Dreamcasts in a couple years ago , and I guess there aren't any collectors around here , cause none of the games have been bought. I sold my copy of Skies of Arcadia & Soul Calibur over 2 years ago , and they are still there !!! (I know this because I marked the plastic case on the bottom with a sharpie). They also have a TON of playstation games. I tried to look through them the other day , but I got tired of seeing the same dull games and quit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one near my dorm at.. well, that's classified, has a shitload of stuff left. I went the other day and snagged a good looking copy of Breath of Fire loose, for a solid $7.50.

They had some more stuff that I wanted, and a ton of stuff I didn't have time to look through.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When GameStop has those translucent snapcases with the copies of the inserts, does this mean DISC ONLY or do some keep the inserts and discs in the drawers to save space? I always assumed it meant disc only but one GS I went to said that they do it for space reasons either way, so I'm not sure whether they are saving them or pitching the inserts out like they did with the cartridge games.

Disc based game w/o inserts = WORTHLESS (to me)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Heh. Mine doesn't even have DC games; I wish. Oddly enough they have carts packed with horrible N64 games.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    When GameStop has those translucent snapcases with the copies of the inserts, does this mean DISC ONLY or do some keep the inserts and discs in the drawers to save space? I always assumed it meant disc only but one GS I went to said that they do it for space reasons either way, so I'm not sure whether they are saving them or pitching the inserts out like they did with the cartridge games.

Disc based game w/o inserts = WORTHLESS (to me)
    If you notice some games are out with the "real" cases then chances are the fake ones are disc only (UNLESS they put that copy out first and they got a real duplicate in afterwards). If all the cases are fake then they're probably keeping all the real cases in a drawer with the games.

There doesn't seem to be any regulation and it never hurts to simply take the game up to the counter and ask.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Habeeb Hamusta
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Heh. Mine doesn't even have DC games; I wish. Oddly enough they have carts packed with horrible N64 games.
    yummy! Let's see...Kobe...Kobe...nope looks like we won't find HIM in this pile of crap!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!