Thread: Anyone get this new Ace Combat 5 Flightstick set?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone get this new Ace Combat 5 Flightstick set?

I was in Gamestop today and saw this set for sale:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...%5Fid=B281138A

I'm a sucker for video game accessories like this but I want to know if it's worth the $130. I loved Steel Battalion but I really can't make up my mind about this. Has anyone here played it yet or know of a good review online? It'll probably put me in the poor house if I get it, but it looks SOOOOO nice.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I picked it up first day, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and play it yet. I've only seen one major review online that mentions it--and it's on 1up.com. It says:

It's worth noting that if you can pony up the asking price, Hori's Ace Combat flight stick (packaged with the game in a $130 limited edition) does offer a marked improvement in performance. The Dual Shock offers good enough rudder control with the shoulder buttons, but there's only so much precision the analog stick can offer as far as simulating the control yoke, and you have to hold down the L1 and R1 buttons carefully to maintain a particular throttle setting. The flight stick, on the other hand, provides very fine control over both the yoke and the throttle, aside from simply looking cool.
    I'll most likely give it a shot this evening...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will wait untill it goes down in price .I love actually using the controll sticks and throttle on flight games.My fav is the afterburner arcade machine that has the hydros that jack you all around.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this may seem new to console but PCs had flight sticks for decades. literally. personally i never picked up on it, but thats just me, im not too big on flight simulators. the only flight games i remember enjoying was Red Baron and Crimson Skies, and i got a free Sidewinder Rumble Joystick from Microsoft, Crimson Skies was great with it, but it wasnt worth keeping (it was a 100 dollar joystick) so i gave it to my friend whos a flgiht buff

basically if you enjoy flight sims get it, but then again you can get the same package with an infinite number of better games for computer, it might even be cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postulio
    basically if you enjoy flight sims get it, but then again you can get the same package with an infinite number of better games for computer, it might even be cheaper.
    Well I'm a Mac user, so the selection of flight sims I can play is extremely limited. If I had a PC, I probably wouldn't consider buying it, but this Ace Combat 5 package is basically the only chance at playing a game like this with special controls.

Oobgarm, if you don't mind, please post a review here after you try it out. I'm very interested in how this thing plays. Also, do you know if this could be used with other PS2 games? Like Sky Odyssey and the rest of the Ace Combat games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can use this with the Ace Combat 4 as well since this stick was released in Japan last year for the game. Mine is on its way in the mail so I can't give a hands on review now but for me playing a flight sim with a controller is like playing Donkey Konga with a controller.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: Anyone get this new Ace Combat 5 Flightstick set?

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    I was in Gamestop today and saw this set for sale:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...%5Fid=B281138A

I'm a sucker for video game accessories like this but I want to know if it's worth the $130. I loved Steel Battalion but I really can't make up my mind about this. Has anyone here played it yet or know of a good review online? It'll probably put me in the poor house if I get it, but it looks SOOOOO nice.

I saw it today too on the floor of Gamestop/behind the register.

I will wait untill it goes down in price...I want it though...I'm also a sucker for video game accessories like this..

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    I picked it up first day, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and play it yet. I've only seen one major review online that mentions it--and it's on 1up.com. It says:

I'll most likely give it a shot this evening...
    Yeah this person here, mentioned it to me, and poof preordered.... ive yet to crack it open as well... but all in due time.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK I got mine in the mail the other day and have spent a few days with and it is a very kick ass flight stick. It aslo connects through the USB port so it might work with PC or Mac flight sims as well. It is very well built and the controlls are solid and well laid out. Its well worth the money if you get one and like flight sims. You really only need to like them because as soon as you start playing with this stick you will love them. The rudder control was the only control that felt a little awkward at first but after some time I've gotten use to it. Get it now or later if you can find one cheaper but deffenetly get one at some point.