Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Sega Saturn swap trick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stupid Sega Saturn swap trick

Just to let yall know first hand i am attempting to backup a game I already own

I have Nights for Sega Saturn but it has gotten alot of scratches over the years so I decided the easy choice would be to back it up on CDR

I have read reviews on how to do the swap trick online and it seemed simple enough with a little practice as they say but after at least 500 times of trying to do it I still can't get the the dang thing to boot right and not read the dang copy protection on the outer edges.

I have my saturn open with the open door sensor taped down and gone step by step on on what the different FAQ's say about this subject.I have a model 2 Saturn which is more difficult as they say but do-able,well not in my book .

I leave the copied game in,wait for it to go to the outer edges,let it check the outer edges then put the copied game back in but it acts like it wants to re-read the cd all over again no matter how many different times and ways I have do it.

I am seriously thinking about getting a mod chip because this seems like I will never be able to master it

Does anyone have any tips or idea,they would help my sanity alot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Would a video help? For some odd reason I have a video of someone doing the swap trick.

It's not in english, but I guess watching it could help a little.

IM me if you'd like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The model 1 saturns are a breeze to do the swap trick on, but the model 2 is nearly impossible. You must have the model 2.

The reason the model 1 is easy is cause you swap once the light indicator flashes for each swap. Model 2 doesn't have this led. I've tried swapping on a model 2 even after getting the timing down on a model 1 and still it's very hard, cause not only is it the led that helps, but the timing is much much shorter on model 2. You have to have godly reflexes.

I suggest getting a model 1 or modding. Modding would be the best as using memory cards, and import devices is a whole new ball of pain in the ass wax even on the model 1 swap trick. Just mod the thing I say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The model 2 does have the place on the board for an LED but why put your poor Saturn threw all that open close crap when you can just get a mod chip.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why risk slowly destrorying your Saturn? Put a chip in. It's easier than what you are trying to do.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try this way:

How to swap…

First put the backup into the Saturn and turn on the power. Leave the door open. The system will attempt to verify the disk and will eventually stop at the CD player screen. This will take about 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the disk.

Once the disk has stopped, remove it from the spindle and place an original disk on the spindle.

Make sure the sound volume is turned down so that you can hear the laser assembly motor. Hit the reset button on the Saturn and the disk will begin to spin.

The laser will [1] move to the outside of the disk (this will be the first thing you hear), [2] read the security code on the edge of the disk (you will also hear this), and then [3] move back to the inside of the disk (this will sound like the first noise.). When you hear the third noise, wait at least 1 second and then swap the disk. If the swap is performed correctly you will see the normal “Produced by or under license from Sega” screen, and the game will load. If not, turn the Saturn off and start over.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    The model 2 does have the place on the board for an LED but why put your poor Saturn threw all that open close crap when you can just get a mod chip.
    I agree. If your just doing the CDR mod you don't even have to solder the mod in.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    I agree. If your just doing the CDR mod you don't even have to solder the mod in.
    Yes you do, you have to solder the wire for the +5v connection, and most chips will require you to either bridge the a-b video connection on the modboard itself or you have to solder a wire onto one of the pins of the video chip.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just mod the Saturn, it may cost money, but do you really want to attempt the disk swap another 500 times before you get it down pat? And even after you get the hang of it, there is no guarantee that you can do it perfectly each time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Yes you do, you have to solder the wire for the +5v connection, and most chips will require you to either bridge the a-b video connection on the modboard itself or you have to solder a wire onto one of the pins of the video chip.
    the +5 area is HUUUUUUUUGE!!! you can just stick the wire in and it would be fine. and the other wire goes to a pin that makes the PS1 mod look like square peg/square hole.

I don't care how you do it, but the swap trick sucks and doesn't work for every game.

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i see everyone saying just "mod" it, but my question is, where the hell do you find a saturn mod chip???????????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Why must this even be said?
    Google: +saturn +modchip
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im sure there used to be a video (with sound) of the swap trick on a model 2. I got the video from Sega Xtreme (http://www.phantasy-star-universe.com/)

Go browse their website, and if you cant find it just leave a message on their forums...im sure someone still has it!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer
    Why must this even be said?
    Google: +saturn +modchip
    If you have ever actually bothered to do it yourself, you'll notice that absolutely no one has them in stock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.jandaman.com

Out right now, but they always get more. I've bought a number of them from them in the last year.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i never gotten the modchip to work with my system ;_;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well unbroken, I have bothered to do it myself (got mine from Jandaman) the situation is yes they are all out of stock, you either need to wait until stock is replenished (though I am not sure this is likely at this point) or just keep searching those key words and hoping you will luck out on someone offering it through a forum or personal sale otherwise your shit out of luck................
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Yeah, modded my Saturn without soldering any wires. Just looped the wire around the pin on the chip and stuck the other between the power supply. Not a permanent solution if you move your Saturn around alot but it works just fine if you leave it where it is.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I have about ruined my saturns motor I think I may have to buy a Model 1 eventually but I would love to
    know to get the LED to work for my model 2

thanks for all the input guys,you all's profesionalism and knowledge is greatly apreciated

edited to say also I have looked at the vid on sega extreme and it didnt help at all and I had a forum member send me a detailed vid but it was for Model 1 :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter
    i never gotten the modchip to work with my system ;_;
    For years I had a Saturn MOD faq up here but it's gone now..

only MODDABLE Saturn is a system 2 32 pin IC chip... no others... System 2 with 64 pin.. no go! sorry! and it's the most coomon.