Thread: Gateway to Apshai.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Gateway to Apshai.

I am thinking of writing a review for the CV version.

However, I am still unable to figure out what the Staff, Protection Spell, and Wand do. I have tried to use them directly and indirectly, against specific opponents, to enhance something, defensively, offensively- nothing.

So- do YOU know what they are for? It doesn't have to be for the CV version, even, but for ANY version.

HELP!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

How is the game? I've been meaning to try the PC version for a while now, it's susposed to be a classic.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Contemporary review I found: http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an16/gate_apshai.htm

Looks like good stuff. I swear the name rings a bell...hmm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's a classic case of a game with faults, but more good points than bad. It has crummy graphics and sound, and the documentation is poor, but overall it is a decent RPG- lots of enemies, spells, armor, weapons, and an amazing 8 levels with 99 dungeons each (other versions had only 16 dungeons)! It sort of took the place of Tunnels and Trolls. I like it.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I'm not sure the manual actually mentions it either!

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/epyx.htm

You can download the manual for the C64 version from that page on my site and see for yourself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tangent:

Everyone who likes this game, go download Nethack.
    http://www.nethack.org

Okay, hijack finished. ;-)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Manuel Polik aka cybergoth has a nice site dedicated to Epyx games here. His Gateway page is here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    Tangent:

Everyone who likes this game, go download Nethack.
    http://www.nethack.org

Okay, hijack finished. ;-)
    I tried Nethack...control scheme is too complex by far :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He he. Yeah, it's a bit intense. Try to find a port of the original Rogue, and then work up to Angband. They're really fun games once you wrap your head around the insane amount of controls. Nethack makes Steel Battalion look like an NES controller.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played this one on C64 when I was a kid and just got it for my CV. I loved it back then, despite it's simple graphics and bugs. I found there was some mystery to things such as the wand/staff which could have been present ed better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superstonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    I'm not sure the manual actually mentions it either!
    It doesn't list specific items. At least not that version, anyway. All it says is "A weapon's power will be obvious by its name, and so will a spell's power." So with that in mind, a protection spell would protect you from attack for a limited time, either completely or partially. The staff and wand could be weapons, or they could enhance a weapon or spell. Just a guess....
    Apparently not, I'm afraid. I tried using the Protect Spell for everything from enemy attack to regular traps, to see if it protects you from cursed traps- nothing. No difference whatsoever. As for the Staff and Wand- nothing. I tried them on specific enemies, I even used it and then fired an arrow (regular and magical) at a stunned enemy, to see if that would do something- nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It does not appear to be like the Cross. When you pick one up, you "use" it, and from that time on your sword attacks are twice as effective against Ghouls, Vampires, and Vampire Bats.

Quite frankly, I don't think those 3 items do anything. It may be possible that the programmer did not have time to program in any actions for those items. But I'll try again some more tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW! This stumped me too, the 20+ years ago I got the game, so I actually fired off a written letter to EPYX requesting some info. Here's what I got in reply, verbatim: (Never thought I"d be passing this along!):

"The following is a list of explanations of the various spells, & items found in GATEWAY TO APSHAI.

CROSS- the cross is used in defense of the "Undead" creatures. How this is done is by adding +3 to the players defense. (Undead= Vampires, Ghouls, & Zombies.)

WAND- The wand changes the value of all previous owned magic items. The change being adding a +1.

DISARM SPELL- When a character enters a room he/she can cast cast [sic]this spell & all traps will be disarmed/disabled.

STAFF- This item like the wand increases magical items w/ the difference of a +3 instead of +1.

CONFUSESPELL- Causes the monsters in the room that the character is in to move randomly, vs. directly after the character.

GAUNTLET- The item in real life is a large metal glove to protect the hand & forearm. In the game, it adds a +1 to defense.

DEATHSPELL- Is quite obvious, it kills everything in the room.

MAGIC ARMOR- This is another protection item. +5 defense, also will protect against cursed traps.

STUN SPELL- Causes the monster(s) in the room w/ the character to pause (be "stunned") for a calculated time (add agility, luck, & the WAND (if owned)= the time involved.

STONE SPELL- Same thing that stun spell is except; it will freeze all monsters on that level for said period of time.

PROTECT SPELL- Added defense score (armor+luck).

SHIELD SPELL- Like the above, only adds a +1 to it.

MAGIC SWORD- There are 2 of these swords: one is as it says, a standard +5 magic sword. But the other sword is a "CURSED SWORD" labled w/ just the words "magic sword." The CURSED SWORD can do four thingd: 1) Luck=0 2) Wand=0 3) Health= 1/2 4) is magic

We hope this information helps you & makes the game a bit more understandable."

Whew! Actually it didnt help much- it explained mostly what I already knew.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If it's true for this version, then it is GREATLY appreciated by us all!

But the Magic Armor does not protect from cursed traps.

And the "+" does not change in value, no numbers are given. However, I will try to carefully time the stun spell, and see if there is a difference- the last time I did, I did not notice any.

And I think the Gauntlet was a 1985 arcade game...oh, wait, no- seriously, it protects against poison needle traps.

And the protect spell, when used, does not cause any visible change in stats- however, a shield spell does briefly give you a Magic Shield.

There does seem to be a cursed sword. Claiming it gives you a lesser sword, such as a short sword.

Tonight, I'll try these things, but there aren't any changes in stats of any kind shown.